Bullnose Forums

Frame X-Member Q: What's needed to install a rear fuel tank?

Bronco638

Any chance you could post an image of Parts List No. 12? I'd like to see what it illustrates. Thanks!

It is on the page at Documentation/Suspension And Steering/Crossmembers, down below the table that shows which trucks use which parts list.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave/FF2 - What crossmember did you use? More specifically, what wheelbase truck was it off of?

It is the bolt in cross member that fits just in front the rear tank that the straps fit to.

The cross member I used was from a 2/81 F100 style side long bed dual tank truck.

It bolted in place on my 11/80 F100 short bed flare side, no rear tank.

Dave ----

Dave/FF2 - What crossmember did you use? More specifically, what wheelbase truck was it off of?

It is the bolt in cross member that fits just in front the rear tank that the straps fit to.

The cross member I used was from a 2/81 F100 style side long bed dual tank truck.

It bolted in place on my 11/80 F100 short bed flare side, no rear tank.

Dave ----

This crossmember can be sourced from some Styleside trucks without dual tanks as well, as my old parts truck only came with the front tank, but still had this crossmember as well as the lower supports for the rear tank.

This crossmember can be sourced from some Styleside trucks without dual tanks as well, as my old parts truck only came with the front tank, but still had this crossmember as well as the lower supports for the rear tank.

OK, looks like I'm going to need to visit some local wrecking yards when the weather improves (single digit high temps coming for the next week + :nabble_smiley_angry:). I know there's a '87 Brick Nose with a rear tank in the closest yard. I wonder how rusty it will be...

This crossmember can be sourced from trucks without dual tanks as well, as my old parts truck only came with the front tank, but still had this crossmember as well as the lower supports for the rear tank.

Are you sure on that :nabble_anim_confused:

I only say this because that same cross member on the flare side, a non-rear tank truck, is not the same cross member used with the rear tank.

If you look at the pictures the non-rear tank CM is a little thing and looks to be bolted to the lower part of the frame rail. The rear tank CM is a beefy one and bolted top & bottom.

Also the tank CM would have slots & holes for the straps that go on top & bottom of the tank.

So look the CM over closely to make sure it will hold a rear tank.

Dave ----

This crossmember can be sourced from trucks without dual tanks as well, as my old parts truck only came with the front tank, but still had this crossmember as well as the lower supports for the rear tank.

Are you sure on that :nabble_anim_confused:

I only say this because that same cross member on the flare side, a non-rear tank truck, is not the same cross member used with the rear tank.

If you look at the pictures the non-rear tank CM is a little thing and looks to be bolted to the lower part of the frame rail. The rear tank CM is a beefy one and bolted top & bottom.

Also the tank CM would have slots & holes for the straps that go on top & bottom of the tank.

So look the CM over closely to make sure it will hold a rear tank.

Dave ----

in the two pictures at the intro there were two different frames. on the first frame which looked to have just been refinished was the one with the asked about cross member/ tank support rail. in the second picture was a spare tire upper rail for use without a tank. on the models with rear tank, the spare tire holder holds the spare against the bottom tank rails. without a tank there is still a need for the upper half of the spare support. this frame member being asked for is also the part which the brake line (soft hose to rear axle) is mounted. then the hard line is fitted. on the ones without this there is a short (4") flat stock bracket in lieu of it for the rear brake hose to anchor to. if you do decide to add this cross member then you will swap over the brake attachment at the same time. perfect time to install new hose. also, you are looking for top tank straps and bottom tank rails to go along with the new tank and I'm sure you need the filler neck and internal tube too. buy a new fill hose.

in the two pictures at the intro there were two different frames. on the first frame which looked to have just been refinished was the one with the asked about cross member/ tank support rail. in the second picture was a spare tire upper rail for use without a tank. on the models with rear tank, the spare tire holder holds the spare against the bottom tank rails. without a tank there is still a need for the upper half of the spare support. this frame member being asked for is also the part which the brake line (soft hose to rear axle) is mounted. then the hard line is fitted. on the ones without this there is a short (4") flat stock bracket in lieu of it for the rear brake hose to anchor to. if you do decide to add this cross member then you will swap over the brake attachment at the same time. perfect time to install new hose. also, you are looking for top tank straps and bottom tank rails to go along with the new tank and I'm sure you need the filler neck and internal tube too. buy a new fill hose.

in the two pictures at the intro there were two different frames.

I thought the exact same thing. It seems as if those frame rails are slightly different. There doesn't seem to be two "kick ups" above the rear axle on the rusty frame whereas the re-coated frame has them. Are there "non-rear tank" AND "rear tank" frames? Those two pics would seem to indicate that there are.

in the two pictures at the intro there were two different frames.

I thought the exact same thing. It seems as if those frame rails are slightly different. There doesn't seem to be two "kick ups" above the rear axle on the rusty frame whereas the re-coated frame has them. Are there "non-rear tank" AND "rear tank" frames? Those two pics would seem to indicate that there are.

The picture below is mine and is of Dad's truck: 1981 F150 regular cab long bed 4WD with a 133" wheelbase and two tanks.

6442188_orig.thumb.jpg.c658cba3283c6b00bd6498e200224f75.jpg

The picture below is mine and is of Dad's truck: 1981 F150 regular cab long bed 4WD with a 133" wheelbase and two tanks.

Yes, and if you look at your frame just aft of the cross member in question, you'll see that it has two areas, one on each side, that are (slightly) bent upwards. Looking at this frame, those areas don't seem to be there:

IMG_1633_2528Large2529.jpg.2f0c5aef5fefd478ad978ab8c139d010.jpg

The two areas back by the rear cross member are the same, on both frames. Your frame has two of these areas near the rear axle, the other frame does not.