Bullnose Forums

Carb Flooding

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You won't hurt anything by running the pressure low. Worst case is that you run out of go at high RPM, but how often do you spin a 300 six to high RPM?

Nice job on the regulator mounting.

Do you run Ethanol free or Ethanol gas?

I run nothing but Ethanol as it can be found every where around here.

When I installed the used tanks in my truck they looked good and clean.

Well I had to pull the top off the carb for some reason and seen very fine rust on the bottom of the bowl.

I also run 2 filters after the fuel pump. A plastic kind of see thru and the screw it at the carb.

Both trapped a lot of rust and were replaced and the carb cleaned out.

I am guessing the top of the tank or tanks had the rust?

In finding why a had a bad miss and bucking under load I swapped out the carb for a cheap Ebay one I had on the shelf.

After running it a bit and running way to lean I pulled the top to see what it would take to adjust the needle and the bowl floor was clean. So I guess the old carb and filters trapped all the rust?

I fill both tanks at the same time and I use them up quite fast so not worried of more rusting.

But with all that rust not once did I have the carb flooding.

Dave ----

Nice job on the regulator mounting.

Do you run Ethanol free or Ethanol gas?

I run nothing but Ethanol as it can be found every where around here.

When I installed the used tanks in my truck they looked good and clean.

Well I had to pull the top off the carb for some reason and seen very fine rust on the bottom of the bowl.

I also run 2 filters after the fuel pump. A plastic kind of see thru and the screw it at the carb.

Both trapped a lot of rust and were replaced and the carb cleaned out.

I am guessing the top of the tank or tanks had the rust?

In finding why a had a bad miss and bucking under load I swapped out the carb for a cheap Ebay one I had on the shelf.

After running it a bit and running way to lean I pulled the top to see what it would take to adjust the needle and the bowl floor was clean. So I guess the old carb and filters trapped all the rust?

I fill both tanks at the same time and I use them up quite fast so not worried of more rusting.

But with all that rust not once did I have the carb flooding.

Dave ----

Thanks Dave, I run ethanol. I have a filter before fuel transfer solenoid and before fuel pump and screw-in filter at carb. I hope the regular solves that problem. CJ

Thanks Dave, I run ethanol. I have a filter before fuel transfer solenoid and before fuel pump and screw-in filter at carb. I hope the regular solves that problem. CJ

Lord Mr. Ford ! Was letting my truck warm up. Smelled gas, opened hood and gas running from carb to ground. Pressure regulator didn’t work to correct problem. The choke was open. Thinking back, this problem started after I reinstalled the EGR. After some research, I don’t have all components I need for it to work correctly. Most emission controls are missing, no computer, I want the EGR to work. So I need a PVS, and VCV, ho se to carb, hose to egr?? Carb hose teed to Dist. Need source for these items. Thanks CJ

Lord Mr. Ford ! Was letting my truck warm up. Smelled gas, opened hood and gas running from carb to ground. Pressure regulator didn’t work to correct problem. The choke was open. Thinking back, this problem started after I reinstalled the EGR. After some research, I don’t have all components I need for it to work correctly. Most emission controls are missing, no computer, I want the EGR to work. So I need a PVS, and VCV, ho se to carb, hose to egr?? Carb hose teed to Dist. Need source for these items. Thanks CJ

Bummer!

Ok, to find the part numbers we need to find the calibration code. I've not looked back through this thread, but I don't remember finding it. So you'll have to tell me everything you know about the truck - and then it would help if you'd put that in a signature.

What year, engine, transmission, and if it is a CA truck or 49 states.

EGR isn't causing your carb to overflow.

Check the float isn't hanging on a gasket or something...

Bummer!

Ok, to find the part numbers we need to find the calibration code. I've not looked back through this thread, but I don't remember finding it. So you'll have to tell me everything you know about the truck - and then it would help if you'd put that in a signature.

What year, engine, transmission, and if it is a CA truck or 49 states.

Gary, It’s a 1985 F150 4.9 L single barrel carb built in VA. Thanks for the help. CJ

EGR isn't causing your carb to overflow.

Check the float isn't hanging on a gasket or something...

Jim, 2 carbs did the same. I just want make sure EGR is correct to eliminate that though. I don’t think it’s the EGR, too much gas coming out like float is stuck. Only does it after warm up. Thanks CJ