Bullnose Forums

Happy New Years and ignition wiring questions

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I was away.

I read that the thread is pointing to the "entire harness" replacement solution, am I right?

Anyway, even if not relevant, I confirm that, when I replaced the stator, I also replaced the harness connector. All NAPA purchases.

I crimped using waterproof heat joints PLUS a shrinkable sleeve over each one.

I did the same for the new ignition module (also replaced the harness connectors).

Plus electrical water repellent grease in the connectors.

Not a new harness, but at least the connections are clean and water protected.

I haven't made a definite decision yet. I was leading toward the kit but I'm still open to doing the wires and pigtails if I can find the pigtails. The distributor side plug is ok. The other side is bare wire.

I appreciate the info and pictures!

What "pre-built" harness are you talking about?

To the best of my knowledge Painless only offers a KIT.

Because they would have to make different ones for 300, 400/351M, 460, 302+351W and the odd little V-6 (I forgot it's displacement). :nabble_smiley_teeth:

I had another look at the Duraspark II Ignition Harness from Painless. They have a downloadable manual. From what I can tell, it does seem like it's mostly made up. The plugs all seem connected already. They do provide some connectors but some of that is for the included resister, which I don't think I would need.

I emailed them for additional information. Here is a link to the manual:

https://www.painlessperformance.com/Manuals/30812.pdf

I had another look at the Duraspark II Ignition Harness from Painless. They have a downloadable manual. From what I can tell, it does seem like it's mostly made up. The plugs all seem connected already. They do provide some connectors but some of that is for the included resister, which I don't think I would need.

If you have the factory resistance wire then you won't need the resistor, it is primarily for the coil.

Thanks for that!

I haven't looked in probably two decades.

The more you know! 🌠

If you have the factory resistance wire then you won't need the resistor, it is primarily for the coil.

I looked through the diagram Jim sent and then I looked through the truck and didn't see an actual resister. At least not anything like what comes with the Painless harness. I'm not sure where it would have been mounted, but i looked all over the firewall and fenders.

I looked through the diagram Jim sent and then I looked through the truck and didn't see an actual resister. At least not anything like what comes with the Painless harness. I'm not sure where it would have been mounted, but i looked all over the firewall and fenders.

It is in the dash portion of the harness and once the EFI 5.0L engines were introduced, Ford was building a "universal" gas engine front harness in the Bullnose trucks. The left (driver's) side plugs were set up so the resistance wire was there for none EFI engines but when the EFI engine harness was plugged in provided 12V in both start and run to the TFI ignition system.

It's a thick pink/red wire w/ green stripe in the upper left under the dash cover.

Matt Wood* has pictures of it here on the Forum.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Pre-Emptive-FIRE-tp58908.html

20200503_185153.jpg.9cb6bf5650febf37963978f519d9c013.jpg

20200503_150307.jpg.60cc425489f40b5855a46cea95a4f1e2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered the Painless harness and it arrived this week. I won't be installing it for a little while, but thought I would share some pictures of it and some comments.

The build quality seems really nice. It appears that each wire is labeled. The print is tiny, but so are the wires. All of the connections to the sockets have heat shrink. Everything is bundled together like the factory harness.

The two sockets on the Duraspark side are sealed up like the factory sockets. The distributor socket is not and I'm not sure if the factory version is. All three sockets look like they are pretty durable but they're definitely lighter than the factory versions. Same for the coil adapter.

IMG_1688_Large.jpeg.b6307909c2163394438d11bfda2d1e3b.jpeg

IMG_1741.thumb.jpeg.3eb715151e82c59f74f56bef9bbc6b4a.jpeg

IMG_1742.thumb.jpeg.c626c96db7243808e6fca5b22790028c.jpeg

IMG_1743.thumb.jpeg.82706858a470d01426229f965d2c6c68.jpeg

IMG_1739.thumb.jpeg.6c143e1f951eb3deeb36466cccd8e731.jpeg

IMG_1740.thumb.jpeg.b0ca404961091fc1647dcc2d2bde463f.jpeg

I ordered the Painless harness and it arrived this week. I won't be installing it for a little while, but thought I would share some pictures of it and some comments.

The build quality seems really nice. It appears that each wire is labeled. The print is tiny, but so are the wires. All of the connections to the sockets have heat shrink. Everything is bundled together like the factory harness.

The two sockets on the Duraspark side are sealed up like the factory sockets. The distributor socket is not and I'm not sure if the factory version is. All three sockets look like they are pretty durable but they're definitely lighter than the factory versions. Same for the coil adapter.

Thanks, Will. Those do look good. Maybe Painless is the one to talk to about a 3G harness.