Bullnose Forums

Happy New Years and ignition wiring questions

The DS-II distributor connector (OR/PL/BK) is problematic, and the only harness ignition connector not readily available.

I've said before that you can use another 4 pin connector if you are willing to remove the 'key' from the plastic shell.

Painless wiring has a dura-spark 'kit' that is stupid expensive for what it is.

Motorcraft pigtails can also be expensive but if you just get the numbers from the catalog here on site and search those on eBay they do turn up at reasonable cost.

Like Dane said, a lot of these can be had in the NAPA Echlin line or even SMP.

Pico used to offer a bunch too, like headlamp switch sockets or the regulator and static connectors for 3G upgrade.

I think I found some of the connectors at NAPA but they're actually not much cheaper than the pre-built harness you linked to.

I think Ill have to spend some time cleaning the connectors to see if they have part numbers on them. I'm just trying to avoid breaking anything because almost all of it is brittle.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I found some of the connectors at NAPA but they're actually not much cheaper than the pre-built harness you linked to.

I think Ill have to spend some time cleaning the connectors to see if they have part numbers on them. I'm just trying to avoid breaking anything because almost all of it is brittle.

The tabs especially!

I have to admit I have more than one zip tie in my harness. :nabble_smiley_blush:

I will throw this in here as well. My ignition coil has an additional part wired in with it that looks like an old condenser coil. I haven't seen this in any of my research and I'm not sure what it is. None of the coil harnesses I have found have the extra wires shown for this setup.

The pictures may also give you some indication of the condition of the wiring.

IMG_1520.thumb.jpg.60cc200e7f2c92d2caae169367eeb80a.jpg

IMG_1523.thumb.jpg.003701fa3658ec5de68562bde40bab16.jpg

I will throw this in here as well. My ignition coil has an additional part wired in with it that looks like an old condenser coil. I haven't seen this in any of my research and I'm not sure what it is. None of the coil harnesses I have found have the extra wires shown for this setup.

I do believe that condensor looking thing is a noise suppressor.

Yeah, too bad the wiring is in that condition.

The condenser is stock.

As Dane said 'radio noise capacitor'

Highlighted on the lower right.

1985-etm-page27.thumb.jpg.cfefa3e4de6acfd9afc4ea37ad707df0.jpg

The condenser is stock.

As Dane said 'radio noise capacitor'

Highlighted on the lower right.

Thanks Jim. That diagram helps a lot.

What do you think about a newer coil with built-in noise suppression? Would the condenser still be necessary?

Thanks Jim. That diagram helps a lot.

What do you think about a newer coil with built-in noise suppression? Would the condenser still be necessary?

I'm really not familiar with ignition coils that have noise suppression built in.

Most plug wires today have suppression built in.

You can always try it without.

Probably shouldn't make a huge difference unless you like listening to AM radio.

Not a big deal to add it after the fact.

I know I did on my truck.

I'm really not familiar with ignition coils that have noise suppression built in.

Most plug wires today have suppression built in.

You can always try it without.

Probably shouldn't make a huge difference unless you like listening to AM radio.

Not a big deal to add it after the fact.

I know I did on my truck.

I can't say that I listen to a lot of AM radio. I definitely listen to the FM radio. My stock tape-deck is broken so it's either FM or road noise.

I think I'll add the coil to my todo list. I can't say if the condenser is even working -- the wire is pretty messed up and the connector is melted and charred. I'll try it without and if it gives me any trouble I can test the condenser with it.

Which connectors do you need?

You can get decent ones pretty cheap.

IIRC I was able to put together a DS-II harness: horseshoe, both module connectors and distributor for under $15 (modifying the one distributor socket) back on FTE.

There was a member from NH (pistonhonda?) That had spent a fortune on an aftermarket version of ChryslerDodge ignition and needed to back off the dwell because it was eating coils.