Bullnose Forums

Happy New Years and ignition wiring questions

Thanks, Will. Those do look good. Maybe Painless is the one to talk to about a 3G harness.

Painless does sell a 3G harness of sorts now. It sounds like they already have a somewhat compatible plug to the C610. Maybe they can source the correct version.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. I've read through that and they are taking our Quick & Dirty approach. (But they are wrong about the ammeter - as long as no additional load is added to the cab the ammeter will just read negative, not burn up.) So I wonder if they'd be interested in our Done Right approach?

Let's get our approach nailed down and then maybe I'll contact them.

Thanks. I've read through that and they are taking our Quick & Dirty approach. (But they are wrong about the ammeter - as long as no additional load is added to the cab the ammeter will just read negative, not burn up.) So I wonder if they'd be interested in our Done Right approach?

Let's get our approach nailed down and then maybe I'll contact them.

Painless seems to think all power passes through the ammeter rather than the shunt. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

They also show the Y/W sense (A on the regulator) attaching AFTER the Megafuse.

If that fuse blows the alternator is going to have a meltdown and possibly catch on fire.

Painless seems to think all power passes through the ammeter rather than the shunt. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

They also show the Y/W sense (A on the regulator) attaching AFTER the Megafuse.

If that fuse blows the alternator is going to have a meltdown and possibly catch on fire.

Well, maybe they wanted to retain that Bullnose peculiar feature. They definitely from my experience seem to be Chevy oriented (helped install one of their harnesses on a 1955 Dodge truck street rod and debug an installation on an LT1 swapped 1967 Mustang Shelby clone).

• 5 months later...

It's a thick pink/red wire w/ green stripe in the upper left under the dash cover.

Matt Wood* has pictures of it here on the Forum.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Pre-Emptive-FIRE-tp58908.html

We may be getting back on this little project soon and I have a few things to follow-up on.

First question is about the resistance wire. I haven't found it yet but after looking through pictures and the EVTM I believe I know where it is. If the portion of the wires going into the dash are still in good shape, there should be no reason I can't just splice the new harness into them?

Second, I am looking for a replacement coil and I'm considering the Standard Motor Products SMP-FD476 and the NAPA Echlin ECH IC21. I can get the NAPA part locally pretty easily. The SMP I'd have to order from Summit ($20) because O'Reilly currently wants a staggering $72. Has anyone used either and have anything to say about them?

Third, I may not change the Duraspark II module immediately but it's on my list and I'd like to go ahead and get a spare. I'm considering the NAPA Echlin ECH TP40.

Jim, I found a thread where you mentioned having the SMP-FD476 and the Echlin TP40. Are those still working for you?

We may be getting back on this little project soon and I have a few things to follow-up on.

First question is about the resistance wire. I haven't found it yet but after looking through pictures and the EVTM I believe I know where it is. If the portion of the wires going into the dash are still in good shape, there should be no reason I can't just splice the new harness into them?

Second, I am looking for a replacement coil and I'm considering the Standard Motor Products SMP-FD476 and the NAPA Echlin ECH IC21. I can get the NAPA part locally pretty easily. The SMP I'd have to order from Summit ($20) because O'Reilly currently wants a staggering $72. Has anyone used either and have anything to say about them?

Third, I may not change the Duraspark II module immediately but it's on my list and I'd like to go ahead and get a spare. I'm considering the NAPA Echlin ECH TP40.

Jim, I found a thread where you mentioned having the SMP-FD476 and the Echlin TP40. Are those still working for you?

Yes, both work fine for me.

The thread you want, to locate the coil of resistance wire, is titled "preemptive fire"

As I mentioned there, it would be really easy to find it with a basic infrared camera.

Or, if you have an old neglected digital, you could just pull the IR filter...

Yes, both work fine for me.

The thread you want, to locate the coil of resistance wire, is titled "preemptive fire"

As I mentioned there, it would be really easy to find it with a basic infrared camera.

Or, if you have an old neglected digital, you could just pull the IR filter...

The resistance wire is under the dash cover above the instruments if I remember correctly. I should be able to confirm that tomorrow if you'd like.

The resistance wire is under the dash cover above the instruments if I remember correctly. I should be able to confirm that tomorrow if you'd like.

I believe we have discussed the location before but I don't think that should matter. I don't think there is any reason to go into the dash. If the wires in the engine bay are still in good shape, I should be able to splice the new harness right into them out there.