Bullnose Forums

Happy New Years and ignition wiring questions

Which connectors do you need?

You can get decent ones pretty cheap.

IIRC I was able to put together a DS-II harness: horseshoe, both module connectors and distributor for under $15 (modifying the one distributor socket) back on FTE.

There was a member from NH (pistonhonda?) That had spent a fortune on an aftermarket version of ChryslerDodge ignition and needed to back off the dwell because it was eating coils.

The wires coming off the distributor seem ok as does the plug attached the to them. Same thing for the Duraspark module -- its wires and plugs seem ok. Everything between the two, including the coil adapter is either falling apart or almost there. The pre-built harness is a bit more expensive, but it would save me a lot of time and hassle. I also don't know that I trust my crimping skills that much.

I did find more of the plugs with the links you sent me. I also found them a few other places cheaper. Napa just wants a fortune for what appears to be the same thing.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wires coming off the distributor seem ok as does the plug attached the to them. Same thing for the Duraspark module -- its wires and plugs seem ok. Everything between the two, including the coil adapter is either falling apart or almost there. The pre-built harness is a bit more expensive, but it would save me a lot of time and hassle. I also don't know that I trust my crimping skills that much.

I did find more of the plugs with the links you sent me. I also found them a few other places cheaper. Napa just wants a fortune for what appears to be the same thing.

What "pre-built" harness are you talking about?

To the best of my knowledge Painless only offers a KIT.

Because they would have to make different ones for 300, 400/351M, 460, 302+351W and the odd little V-6 (I forgot it's displacement). :nabble_smiley_teeth:

What "pre-built" harness are you talking about?

To the best of my knowledge Painless only offers a KIT.

Because they would have to make different ones for 300, 400/351M, 460, 302+351W and the odd little V-6 (I forgot it's displacement). :nabble_smiley_teeth:

Sorry about that, the kit is what I was referring to.

No need to be sorry. 🙂

I just didn't want you to think that you were getting a harness, that didn't need crimping, and all the rest of it.

Right. I gathered from their product image there would be crimping involved. As soon as I get the time, I.m going to open the current bundle of wires up and clean everything so I can see what is what. I'm sure there are places online where I can order whatever color wire I need, which could be an option. I'd love to keep the colors the same as the factory ones to make diagnosing future issues easier, but I'm not even sure how helpful that would be.

Right. I gathered from their product image there would be crimping involved. As soon as I get the time, I.m going to open the current bundle of wires up and clean everything so I can see what is what. I'm sure there are places online where I can order whatever color wire I need, which could be an option. I'd love to keep the colors the same as the factory ones to make diagnosing future issues easier, but I'm not even sure how helpful that would be.

I was just acknowledging that you don't trust your crimping skills....

Keeping the loom colours correct definitely helps identifying things at a glance.

Buying a (good) dedicated crimper goes a long way to making a solid connection.

It doesn't have to cost a small fortune.

I was just acknowledging that you don't trust your crimping skills....

Keeping the loom colours correct definitely helps identifying things at a glance.

Buying a (good) dedicated crimper goes a long way to making a solid connection.

It doesn't have to cost a small fortune.

My crimping skills probably are not as bad as I think they are. Until recently, I used the same crimper I got from a blister pack at Autozone in the 90's. The new pair I have is a bit bulky but it does work well. I forget that I have it sometimes and still have nightmares of the old one. :nabble_smiley_happy:

I'm not talking about the module connectors, I'm talking about the harness connector that attaches to the distributor.

Does NAPA have that connector (maybe I missed it?)

Do you have a part number for that particular connector?

Sorry, I was away.

I read that the thread is pointing to the "entire harness" replacement solution, am I right?

Anyway, even if not relevant, I confirm that, when I replaced the stator, I also replaced the harness connector. All NAPA purchases.

IMG_0560.jpeg.0d2a4a7ee89c1f8e16620175913be9bf.jpeg

I crimped using waterproof heat joints PLUS a shrinkable sleeve over each one.

IMG_0562.jpeg.e2786cef7697639ab306a1a4a367ce57.jpeg

I did the same for the new ignition module (also replaced the harness connectors).

Plus electrical water repellent grease in the connectors.

Not a new harness, but at least the connections are clean and water protected.

Sorry, I was away.

I read that the thread is pointing to the "entire harness" replacement solution, am I right?

Anyway, even if not relevant, I confirm that, when I replaced the stator, I also replaced the harness connector. All NAPA purchases.

I crimped using waterproof heat joints PLUS a shrinkable sleeve over each one.

I did the same for the new ignition module (also replaced the harness connectors).

Plus electrical water repellent grease in the connectors.

Not a new harness, but at least the connections are clean and water protected.

Jeff, do you have a number for that NAPA harness connector?

That's the one plug I haven't been able to identify (and it's not available in the Motorcraft pigtail catalog)

Jeff, do you have a number for that NAPA harness connector?

That's the one plug I haven't been able to identify (and it's not available in the Motorcraft pigtail catalog)

Jim, I'll verify in my bills (I keep all of them). Should be able to find it.