Bullnose Forums

Happy New Years and ignition wiring questions

Happy New Years everyone!

I'm ready to start tackling some of the wiring issues under the hood of my truck ('82 F-250 6.6L). A lot of the wires, especially for the ignition are cracked, partially bare, or showing signs of corrosion. I found some of the electrical resources on the forum but have not had the chance to identify the actual plugs needed. I'm concerned about unplugging anything due to the condition of the existing wires and plugs. I don't break anything I can't easily fix.

I have found some things at LMC but not everything. I've considered the junkyard but our local options are slim and I'm not sure the condition would be much better. Are there any other good resources?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you try Bronco Graveyard, or Dennis Carpenter?

If you're looking for some connectors, surprisingly, I was able to get some replacement at my local NAPA. For example, the two ignition module connectors, and the distributor connector too.

The DS-II distributor connector (OR/PL/BK) is problematic, and the only harness ignition connector not readily available.

I've said before that you can use another 4 pin connector if you are willing to remove the 'key' from the plastic shell.

Painless wiring has a dura-spark 'kit' that is stupid expensive for what it is.

Motorcraft pigtails can also be expensive but if you just get the numbers from the catalog here on site and search those on eBay they do turn up at reasonable cost.

Like Dane said, a lot of these can be had in the NAPA Echlin line or even SMP.

Pico used to offer a bunch too, like headlamp switch sockets or the regulator and static connectors for 3G upgrade.

The DS-II distributor connector (OR/PL/BK) is problematic, and the only harness ignition connector not readily available.

I've said before that you can use another 4 pin connector if you are willing to remove the 'key' from the plastic shell.

Painless wiring has a dura-spark 'kit' that is stupid expensive for what it is.

Motorcraft pigtails can also be expensive but if you just get the numbers from the catalog here on site and search those on eBay they do turn up at reasonable cost.

Like Dane said, a lot of these can be had in the NAPA Echlin line or even SMP.

Pico used to offer a bunch too, like headlamp switch sockets or the regulator and static connectors for 3G upgrade.

I had my DS-II distributor connector cracked. If it's your case too, I suggest to replace the whole stator assy.

Not a difficult job, and it forced me to make a good distributor cleanup.

If you go that way, be careful with the "pin".

IMG_0528.jpeg.0917de64cc4d5d82cdc1d22ffa3e94ad.jpeg

IMG_0530.jpeg.6d8935f3521ace22c0ae51766b058168.jpeg

IMG_0529.jpeg.439820954cc82b7f57cd06464f53f6d1.jpeg

Below the ignition module pigtails I changed for NAPA parts.

IMG_0531.jpeg.3554598eda8a7e5c626d3d6e55cbd10e.jpeg

IMG_0532.jpeg.f1b3d029c168957e17048e0f56c3cdf4.jpeg

I had my DS-II distributor connector cracked. If it's your case too, I suggest to replace the whole stator assy.

Not a difficult job, and it forced me to make a good distributor cleanup.

If you go that way, be careful with the "pin".

Below the ignition module pigtails I changed for NAPA parts.

How does changing the distributor module change the harness connector? :nabble_anim_confused:

How does changing the distributor module change the harness connector? :nabble_anim_confused:

Not the whole harness, just the truck connectors.

My wires harness was in good shape, but the end connectors were cracked and really fragile.

Nothing to see with the module itself.

With good waterproof sealed cramps, it did a clean job.

Sorry Jim, I know my english isn't always accurate.

IMG_0534.jpeg.8013378e28bcaf852da0b69b70aaff08.jpeg

Not the whole harness, just the truck connectors.

My wires harness was in good shape, but the end connectors were cracked and really fragile.

Nothing to see with the module itself.

With good waterproof sealed cramps, it did a clean job.

Sorry Jim, I know my english isn't always accurate.

I'm not talking about the module connectors, I'm talking about the harness connector that attaches to the distributor.

Does NAPA have that connector (maybe I missed it?)

Do you have a part number for that particular connector?

I'm not talking about the module connectors, I'm talking about the harness connector that attaches to the distributor.

Does NAPA have that connector (maybe I missed it?)

Do you have a part number for that particular connector?

Jim, I do not have NAPA PNs, but do have these:

DSII 3 pin female WPT-601 Mototcraft, AUVECO 20841, Ford 3U2Z-145411-XXA

DSII 4 pin female AUVECO 20844

Jim, I do not have NAPA PNs, but do have these:

DSII 3 pin female WPT-601 Mototcraft, AUVECO 20841, Ford 3U2Z-145411-XXA

DSII 4 pin female AUVECO 20844

And which one fits the harness side of the distributor connector?

Like I said, you can use one of the DS connectors if you remove the plastic 'key', but other than Painful I don't know anyone who sells that one connector.