Bullnose Forums

Turn signal cam and harness

Mushrat79

I was hoping someone might be able to help me figure out how to replace my turn signal switch in my 86 without cutting the harness...? This will be the first step in troubleshooting my brake and running lights issue. Tail lights turn on with the ignition (not the light switch), and no brake lights. When replacing the fuse for the brake lights/hazards, I blow fuses.

I know that the signal switch and brake light issue may not be related, but I want to go through all electrical wiring, fix it right, and work my way back to ensure I don't have any other issues.

Typically you unpin the curved connector and then fish the wires back down through the column.

This is more complicated if you have tilt column because there's less room through the hinge area.

ETA if you have speed/cruise control there will be two of these curved connectors C305, A&B

Let me see if I can find a recent thread about this. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Replacing-a-turn-switch-td140381.html

Typically you unpin the curved connector and then fish the wires back down through the column.

This is more complicated if you have tilt column because there's less room through the hinge area.

ETA if you have speed/cruise control there will be two of these curved connectors C305, A&B

Let me see if I can find a recent thread about this. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Replacing-a-turn-switch-td140381.html

That's what my issue was before, is having the room for fishing the harness through. I do have tilt and cruise. I don't want to cut the harness and splice like I did before, but finding instructions online seems impossible.

That's what my issue was before, is having the room for fishing the harness through. I do have tilt and cruise. I don't want to cut the harness and splice like I did before, but finding instructions online seems impossible.

So, you've already got the connector off and you still can't pull the wires through?

Do note where Tom mentioned that he taped up the wires with the pins staggered so they don't present a big lump to try and get through the column.

But he also said he doesn't have tilt.

If you're still stuck perhaps another member has better advice?

I've never had to deal with replacement in a tilt column.

So, you've already got the connector off and you still can't pull the wires through?

Do note where Tom mentioned that he taped up the wires with the pins staggered so they don't present a big lump to try and get through the column.

But he also said he doesn't have tilt.

If you're still stuck perhaps another member has better advice?

I've never had to deal with replacement in a tilt column.

In the tilt version it is a nightmare. Took me 4 hours when I did it. But I also had no clue what I was doing.:nabble_smiley_teeth:

In the tilt version it is a nightmare. Took me 4 hours when I did it. But I also had no clue what I was doing.:nabble_smiley_teeth:

^ What Ifitaintbroke said.

It took some time and patience. I had a tilt wheel, there might be something holding it in place or it was replaced before and someone tie wrapped or taped the wires.

Edit: Typo

Got it done today. Want a horrible job, but definitely necessary. I removed the connector as mentioned in here, and used the sleeve that comes with the harness as a "tunnel" to push the wires through. Then used a small screwdriver to force the pins open a little bit after re-attaching the connector, and done! Took care of my stop light issue. Picture attached of the old switch, and could see where the wires were worn from rubbing against the wheel. Not good! Anyway, now the weird thing is that the flashers, while they do work, tend to flash strangely. They flash, but, how to say... there's no tempo lol. Very random pattern. Any ideas?

I was hoping someone might be able to help me figure out how to replace my turn signal switch in my 86 without cutting the harness...?

Not sure I understand... The turn signal switch is plugged with a connector (C305).

There should be no wire to cut.

This helped so much! I don't know why I never thought of just disconnecting the connector like this...