Bullnose Forums

Dash speaker size/ cb radio location

I'm putting this on the back burner for now. I'll try to get back to it soon but my "workweek" is starting tomorrow. I won't be off again till Monday.

Alright, y'all, getting back to this a little bit now. About to order 102" whip. But, I'm having trouble finding a suitable mount. Everyone seems to use mirror mounts, but that won't work on our flat stock mirror brackets. I can find fender mounts, but none strong enough to handle the 102" whip. Then there are the ball mount types, which swivel 180°, but they list them as for vertical surfaces. They can be positioned straight up, but, again they are listed for a vertical surface. Unsure what to do. :nabble_anim_crazy:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, y'all, getting back to this a little bit now. About to order 102" whip. But, I'm having trouble finding a suitable mount. Everyone seems to use mirror mounts, but that won't work on our flat stock mirror brackets. I can find fender mounts, but none strong enough to handle the 102" whip. Then there are the ball mount types, which swivel 180°, but they list them as for vertical surfaces. They can be positioned straight up, but, again they are listed for a vertical surface. Unsure what to do. :nabble_anim_crazy:

If you have a step bumper I would mount one of these on the flat top of the bumper. And I’ve seen people use these on a fender. I’d support it inside the fender if possible.

https://www.walcottradio.com/hustler-ssm1-heavy-duty-ball-mount-and-spring-p-2479.html

You’re right, going to need something stout to hold a 102” whip at speed. I’m sure you’ve seen the clips that hold the antenna while not in use.

I’ve recommended the Wilson 1000 mag mount, and it has a pretty long whip on it, 62”, I think. At least it seems long on the roof of my truck.

Edit: forgot the link!

If you have a step bumper I would mount one of these on the flat top of the bumper. And I’ve seen people use these on a fender. I’d support it inside the fender if possible.

https://www.walcottradio.com/hustler-ssm1-heavy-duty-ball-mount-and-spring-p-2479.html

You’re right, going to need something stout to hold a 102” whip at speed. I’m sure you’ve seen the clips that hold the antenna while not in use.

I’ve recommended the Wilson 1000 mag mount, and it has a pretty long whip on it, 62”, I think. At least it seems long on the roof of my truck.

Edit: forgot the link!

Funny, I just put in an order with them last night. I wonder if the cowl is strong enough for this job. It doesn't move much, but that's a lot of force.

I bought a small Uniden Pro 520 and returned it. Noisy and could not get out or receive very well.

I bought a President Bill and that little radio impressed me. Did a radio check after install and talked to a trucker at a local truck stop 5 miles away.

Also wanted to say Walcott doesn't work on older radios anymore, over 20 years old I think they told me.

I bought a Uniden Grant XL and wanted it checked and tuned. Found Superior CB in Ontario California.

Had to wait awhile because he's backed up with work. The CB arrived damaged after repair, contacted Superior and they filed a damage claim and helped a lot. They are sending a check for the cost of my radio plus shipping and the repair, that they got from the shipping company.

Highly recommend them. They also sell radio equipment and accessories.

https://superiorcb.com/general-repairs-service/

I bought a small Uniden Pro 520 and returned it. Noisy and could not get out or receive very well.

I bought a President Bill and that little radio impressed me. Did a radio check after install and talked to a trucker at a local truck stop 5 miles away.

Also wanted to say Walcott doesn't work on older radios anymore, over 20 years old I think they told me.

I bought a Uniden Grant XL and wanted it checked and tuned. Found Superior CB in Ontario California.

Had to wait awhile because he's backed up with work. The CB arrived damaged after repair, contacted Superior and they filed a damage claim and helped a lot. They are sending a check for the cost of my radio plus shipping and the repair, that they got from the shipping company.

Highly recommend them. They also sell radio equipment and accessories.

https://superiorcb.com/general-repairs-service/

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

I got to ask why a 102 wip :nabble_anim_confused:

From what I remember back in the day they move around a lot so if mounted to the rear bumperit could hit the body and cause damage.

If you go with say dual mirror mount I cant see why they would not mount to our flat brackets.

Been a long time since I had them on a 86 K5 Blazer but had to take them off when work built a parking garage and the ant. were too tall.

On my Durango there was no place to mount a CB ant. and I did not want to mount one or need a CB all that much. Only time I would have a CB was when pulling the car trailer and I would use a magnet mount on the roof.

Heck I dont even use the CB in my work truck, 18 wheeler, as most of my driving is local. Also it does not bring in / reach out that far and I am not spending my money on a Co. truck for something I dont use.

The places I do need it for picking up loads it works just fine.

Just my .01

Dave ----

I got to ask why a 102 wip :nabble_anim_confused:

From what I remember back in the day they move around a lot so if mounted to the rear bumperit could hit the body and cause damage.

If you go with say dual mirror mount I cant see why they would not mount to our flat brackets.

Been a long time since I had them on a 86 K5 Blazer but had to take them off when work built a parking garage and the ant. were too tall.

On my Durango there was no place to mount a CB ant. and I did not want to mount one or need a CB all that much. Only time I would have a CB was when pulling the car trailer and I would use a magnet mount on the roof.

Heck I dont even use the CB in my work truck, 18 wheeler, as most of my driving is local. Also it does not bring in / reach out that far and I am not spending my money on a Co. truck for something I dont use.

The places I do need it for picking up loads it works just fine.

Just my .01

Dave ----

I went with the whip simply because they are supposed to give the best range, and it was cheaper than a lot of other options. Never thought about body damage, though I certainly don't have any paint I'd be worried about. Still not exactly sure where I'm going to mount it, but I should be getting a front bumper in the next few days, so that's a possibility. Thanks por el inputo.:nabble_smiley_happy:

I went with the whip simply because they are supposed to give the best range, and it was cheaper than a lot of other options. Never thought about body damage, though I certainly don't have any paint I'd be worried about. Still not exactly sure where I'm going to mount it, but I should be getting a front bumper in the next few days, so that's a possibility. Thanks por el inputo.:nabble_smiley_happy:

I know I mentioned this antenna, but thought you might be interested in what Walcott says about it.

https://www.walcottradio.com/wilson-1000-magnet-mount-antenna-900800-880900800b-p-415.html