Bullnose Forums

1985-1997 Radiator for a 4.9L

ratdude747

I'm in a bit of a pickle. My champion radiator in my F150 failed, and Jegs made me ship it back for an exchange, only for it to come back as backordered, likely not arriving to me until after new year (12/22, kicked back from the initial 11/22 date).

If someone has a 1985-1997 4.9L radiator (A/C, Auto trans) sitting that's in at all usable condition, I'm interested as a temporary "get me by" part while I'm stuck in backorder limbo. While my truck is a 1984, it has been converted to the later setup (and would need a new upper hose to swap back). While I do have two spare radiators, one is also faulty (and damaged from being in a scrap aluminum pile) and the other is non-A/C (too small and needs a different fan shroud).

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a bummer, Larry. But might the second one of yours you mentioned work for a short stint since we are into winter? I'd think as cool as it is getting you really wouldn't need much radiator or a fan shroud?

Hi Larry!

Bad news… Sorry for this.

If you can’t find a temporary rad, maybe Gary’s suggestion makes sense? Cold months are maybe the best ones to miss A/C.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Hi Larry!

Bad news… Sorry for this.

If you can’t find a temporary rad, maybe Gary’s suggestion makes sense? Cold months are maybe the best ones to miss A/C.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Non-AC trucks did not have a shroud and why yours may not fit that radiator.

I am with the others that you should be able to use that non-AC radiator and not have any issues with over heating and even more so now that it is cooler and AC not needed.

When I replaced mine I think I got it from Rock Auto.

Sorry to say the old one was full of pin holes and why it was replaced.

Dave ----

Non-AC trucks did not have a shroud and why yours may not fit that radiator.

I am with the others that you should be able to use that non-AC radiator and not have any issues with over heating and even more so now that it is cooler and AC not needed.

When I replaced mine I think I got it from Rock Auto.

Sorry to say the old one was full of pin holes and why it was replaced.

Dave ----

Good points. I may go that route and hope the radiator is good (came out of a 1992 F150 with A/C and some short of broken shroud); I bought it not realizing my error and it was never installed other than to get some holes transferred when I modified the "new" core support.

That is a bummer, Larry. But might the second one of yours you mentioned work for a short stint since we are into winter? I'd think as cool as it is getting you really wouldn't need much radiator or a fan shroud?

Gary, check your stash in the attic as I left a like new aftermarket radiator with you which I had taken out of a 1985 F150 with 4.9L and automatic. It was a utility department truck with about 61K miles. It is aluminum with plastic sides.

Gary, check your stash in the attic as I left a like new aftermarket radiator with you which I had taken out of a 1985 F150 with 4.9L and automatic. It was a utility department truck with about 61K miles. It is aluminum with plastic sides.

David - Now that you mention it I do remember that. But I took several radiators to the show this year and none came home, so I don't think I have that one anymore. I can look, but I'm also not sure Larry wants to pay for shipping it even if I do as he's supposed to be getting a better one and is just needing to get by.

Larry?

David - Now that you mention it I do remember that. But I took several radiators to the show this year and none came home, so I don't think I have that one anymore. I can look, but I'm also not sure Larry wants to pay for shipping it even if I do as he's supposed to be getting a better one and is just needing to get by.

Larry?

All were V8 radiators. I did check!

Trailer.jpg.ec105b1ff73439f4014f5fedef060a68.jpg

Trailer-B.jpg.2e0f3ac46cb7c2d8a82b85da68f2de5f.jpg

Thanks, Jeff. I think I see the 300 six one on there.