Bullnose Forums

81 F100 flare side custom with 300 six & T18

FuzzFace2

So what have you found with the AFR gauge Dave? I'm still contemplating getting one. I'm happy with the way the truck drives at the moment. Just annoyed with the leaky pan gasket and the below par fuel economy. I'm thinking that an AFR gauge will just open another can of worms and have me chasing a rabbit down the hole...

:nabble_smiley_happy: I think you are right on that rabbit hole.

I have been having a little bit of pinging at steady speed but did not have a timing light to check really good till a little while ago.

I adjusted the vacuum can but driving to work, 1am, the pinging was so bad I had to disconnect the vacuum line to the dist. Think I went the wrong way? LOL

I need to get the timing controlled then will work on the AFR.

A link to the thread on the AFR gauge & timing issues.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Air-Fuel-Ratio-gauge-and-now-have-question-td91060.html#a91282

Dave ----

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what have you found with the AFR gauge Dave? I'm still contemplating getting one. I'm happy with the way the truck drives at the moment. Just annoyed with the leaky pan gasket and the below par fuel economy. I'm thinking that an AFR gauge will just open another can of worms and have me chasing a rabbit down the hole...

:nabble_smiley_happy: I think you are right on that rabbit hole.

I have been having a little bit of pinging at steady speed but did not have a timing light to check really good till a little while ago.

I adjusted the vacuum can but driving to work, 1am, the pinging was so bad I had to disconnect the vacuum line to the dist. Think I went the wrong way? LOL

I need to get the timing controlled then will work on the AFR.

A link to the thread on the AFR gauge & timing issues.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Air-Fuel-Ratio-gauge-and-now-have-question-td91060.html#a91282

Dave ----

New carb has been ordered from Ebay should be here in a week.

I went this route because of how I got the carb that's on the truck.

It was missing screws and had sheet metal screws in some holes.

Then when I go inside for the rebuild it also had parts put in wrong or not at all.

So with all that and the carb runs way lean, gauge just shows dots across the face, when getting up to speed (told it should run a little rich) and 1 day it rich the next way lean its getting replaced.

Dave ----

• 3 weeks later...

New carb has been ordered from Ebay should be here in a week.

I went this route because of how I got the carb that's on the truck.

It was missing screws and had sheet metal screws in some holes.

Then when I go inside for the rebuild it also had parts put in wrong or not at all.

So with all that and the carb runs way lean, gauge just shows dots across the face, when getting up to speed (told it should run a little rich) and 1 day it rich the next way lean its getting replaced.

Dave ----

Well back a few weeks ago when I lowered the rod / jet to lean the carb out some, it did run better, I found rust in the bowl.

I also found when driving it the accel pump seamed like it was not working.

Last weekend I checked the and accel pump was not working so I pulled the carb.

It did have a little rust so I don't want to install the new carb till I find what tank has the rust issue and I get that fixed.

I could not find why the pump was not working. When testing on the bench it was working just fine?

I cleaned what little rust out of the bowl then using my Motor's book for pros I adjusted the rod / jet assy and the float before putting it together.

Installed the carb back on the motor along with a see through gas filter so I can see what tank has go the rust.

I also made adjustments to the vacuum advance can on the dist. It was pulling in to much timing and to soon and I was getting a lot of pinging.

Between the fixed carb and the timing change the truck runs pretty good again.

Before I pulled the carb I added 1qt of ATF to the oil and ran it around the block.

It was sitting in there while I did the carb & timing fix then changed the oil & filter.

I even greased the kingpins & tie rods. All go for another 3000 miles LOL.

I took the truck to work Monday and was happy with the AFR but could be a little leaner.

On the way home it run a little richer, warmer OAT of 70*f, it was 45*f when I went in.

At WOT the gauge never went any leaner than high 16, low 17 this time and I tested a few times on the high way and back roads.

Yesterday, Being truck is running good it was time to power wash the motor & under side so I can look for the oil leak that is coating everything. I got it clean but ran out of time to check for the leak so that is up next when I have the time.

Dave ----

Well back a few weeks ago when I lowered the rod / jet to lean the carb out some, it did run better, I found rust in the bowl.

I also found when driving it the accel pump seamed like it was not working.

Last weekend I checked the and accel pump was not working so I pulled the carb.

It did have a little rust so I don't want to install the new carb till I find what tank has the rust issue and I get that fixed.

I could not find why the pump was not working. When testing on the bench it was working just fine?

I cleaned what little rust out of the bowl then using my Motor's book for pros I adjusted the rod / jet assy and the float before putting it together.

Installed the carb back on the motor along with a see through gas filter so I can see what tank has go the rust.

I also made adjustments to the vacuum advance can on the dist. It was pulling in to much timing and to soon and I was getting a lot of pinging.

Between the fixed carb and the timing change the truck runs pretty good again.

Before I pulled the carb I added 1qt of ATF to the oil and ran it around the block.

It was sitting in there while I did the carb & timing fix then changed the oil & filter.

I even greased the kingpins & tie rods. All go for another 3000 miles LOL.

I took the truck to work Monday and was happy with the AFR but could be a little leaner.

On the way home it run a little richer, warmer OAT of 70*f, it was 45*f when I went in.

At WOT the gauge never went any leaner than high 16, low 17 this time and I tested a few times on the high way and back roads.

Yesterday, Being truck is running good it was time to power wash the motor & under side so I can look for the oil leak that is coating everything. I got it clean but ran out of time to check for the leak so that is up next when I have the time.

Dave ----

Sounds like you’re on it! I’d wait on the carb too, just to make sure it’s getting clean fuel.

In the cool of the early morning (4am) I swapped car out and the Durango in the front blower motor stopped working and kind of know it was the resister & plug because playing with it the fan would start working for a bit.

Could not get the plug out of the resister so dropped the unit out of the duct and good thing wires into the plug had burnt. Got that working again but must have a wire crossed as fan blows high 1 setting before the high but it works!

Then the PU went in(5am), had a belt squeal on start up & PS would make a noise every now and then and with 2 new belts time to check. The 2 new belts were a little loose but the ALT was tight and it still squeals.

I will have to see if it does it with the AC off as it is the same belt I had before the AC.

I then moved onto wiring the truck for trailer brakes & power to the 7 blade trailer plug outback that I also had to wire up. A lot of over & under to pull 2- 10ga wires, trailer brake & 12 volt power, to the rear and make all nice nice with split loom and wire ties.

Out at the plug I have a Tee that ties in the trucks rear light harness that I will wire into the 7 blade plug along with the brake, power and a heavy ground wire.

Now going by the colors marked on the plug the wire colors did not jive with the paper that came with an adaptor I also bought. Nothing other then the ground was on the right blade?

A quick Goggle for RV 7 blade wiring and I was back on track.

Now I could not install the brake controller because it needs a pig tail.

I guess they figured you buy a new car / truck and in the glove box is the pig tail to go between the car / truck harness and the controller. Well our old trucks don't have this and did not know the controller needed it. The wires are pulled inside and tied off out of the way and 1 day after work I will pick up the pig tail. I also need to pick up a breaker for the 12 volt power the one I had would not work.

By 2:30 it was 94* in the garage and I was done for the day, did not even pick up the auto electrical supply box.

Dave ----

My poor truck is falling apart faster than I can fix it :nabble_smiley_cry:

Last week or more the AC compressor was cutting on & off, a sign it is low on charge.

Now that the temps will be in the 80's this week and its not working I need to fix it.

I have seen some oil & dye, before the power washing, around a fitting on the compressor, hope bad O-ring.

Going to try and fix this over the weekend.

Yesterday when opening the right door to put my work stuff in at 1am the inside light did not turn on?

I played with the switch and still nothing so maybe bad bulb?

Nope it worked with the left door so need to look into this now also.

Truck has been running great with this last carb cleaning and re-adjusting but may try and lean it out just a little more, its been running between 14 & 15 on the gauge on 10% gas.

I have not checked on the oil leak since the power washing. When you are out the door for work at 1am when you get home 14 hours later the last thing I want to do is look for a leak LOL

So it looks like I will be busy this weekend.

Dave ----

My poor truck is falling apart faster than I can fix it :nabble_smiley_cry:

Last week or more the AC compressor was cutting on & off, a sign it is low on charge.

Now that the temps will be in the 80's this week and its not working I need to fix it.

I have seen some oil & dye, before the power washing, around a fitting on the compressor, hope bad O-ring.

Going to try and fix this over the weekend.

Yesterday when opening the right door to put my work stuff in at 1am the inside light did not turn on?

I played with the switch and still nothing so maybe bad bulb?

Nope it worked with the left door so need to look into this now also.

Truck has been running great with this last carb cleaning and re-adjusting but may try and lean it out just a little more, its been running between 14 & 15 on the gauge on 10% gas.

I have not checked on the oil leak since the power washing. When you are out the door for work at 1am when you get home 14 hours later the last thing I want to do is look for a leak LOL

So it looks like I will be busy this weekend.

Dave ----

I almost forgot my temp, oil and maybe gas gauges have been reading up & down, mostly down.

Once or twice the temp & oil gauges have read where I think they should, in the middle.

I think the IVR is going out I just dont remember what truck this one was from but going to give the other a try. Then again if I was smart I would get a new one being its a pain pulling the dash apart.

I also have 2 LED dash lights that are not working like they should and will look into them also.

Dave ----

I almost forgot my temp, oil and maybe gas gauges have been reading up & down, mostly down.

Once or twice the temp & oil gauges have read where I think they should, in the middle.

I think the IVR is going out I just dont remember what truck this one was from but going to give the other a try. Then again if I was smart I would get a new one being its a pain pulling the dash apart.

I also have 2 LED dash lights that are not working like they should and will look into them also.

Dave ----

Maybe get the SWAD-J solid state regulator Gary is using?

I thought they were only $15?

Definitely not sinking near their capacity. 👍

Maybe get the SWAD-J solid state regulator Gary is using?

I thought they were only $15?

Definitely not sinking near their capacity. 👍

Got out early from work and being its getting warmer (read hotter) I (hope) fixed the AC and recharged it.

I pulled the fitting at the discharge line of the compressor and the O-ring almost fell off.

My son helped as he went to school of this stuff. He did say he wanted supper cooling & supper heat with a 5* spread but only getting 3*

Again could not hook up the high side to see what is going on but he thinks I may have added to much oil to the system the first time.

On a road test it got down to about 36* / 37* with OAT of about 80*

I do hope its fixed.

I also saw oil on the front cross member again and need to get back under to see if I can fin where its coming from.

Dave ----

Got out early from work and being its getting warmer (read hotter) I (hope) fixed the AC and recharged it.

I pulled the fitting at the discharge line of the compressor and the O-ring almost fell off.

My son helped as he went to school of this stuff. He did say he wanted supper cooling & supper heat with a 5* spread but only getting 3*

Again could not hook up the high side to see what is going on but he thinks I may have added to much oil to the system the first time.

On a road test it got down to about 36* / 37* with OAT of about 80*

I do hope its fixed.

I also saw oil on the front cross member again and need to get back under to see if I can fin where its coming from.

Dave ----

The other day I topped off the washer fluid and found the container was dried out and cracked so I dug out my other one that came off my truck but did not use it as it was covered with paint and the inside was a mess!

I soaked the inside for a day or 2 with Awesome Cleaner and it came out pretty good.

On the outside I used a Scotch pad and Awesome to get most of the paint off.

I then used a little thinner on a rag to get the rest off.

I was going to pull the pump and clean it better but it would not come out so I bench tested it and it ran so I will give it a shot.

Was not quite done when it started to rain but I got it installed and topped off.

Thing is the washer part did not spray so will need to look into that. With the rain I could not hear if it was running or not but I know the old setup did so I am pretty sure it is getting power.

Also gave a quick look for the oil leak from above and it may be coming from the pan where it meets the timing cover? I need to get under to give a look but truck was out side and it was raining.

It never ends

Dave ----