Bullnose Forums

81 F100 flare side custom with 300 six & T18

FuzzFace2

Thanks for the information going to have to read it a few time for it to really sink in.

In the first post on the timing you went from a total of 40 and pinging to a total of 42 and no pinging?

Again I have to re-read but was the timing at 1700 driving RPM now lower but higher at a higher RPM?

I also see I need to break out the vacuum gauge and do a little driving to see where the motor is at for the RPM / MPH

What I may do is stop the pining for now, recheck with dial back light and adjust vacuum can, then when my work hours are less and I have 2 day weekends I will get into it deeper.

Dave ----

Dave - We didn't change the centrifugal advance. What we changed was the initial and the vacuum. We backed the initial timing down from 18 to 14 to kill the kicking back on starting.

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave, did you replace the front cab supports when you did the floors, rockers and cab corners? I’m looking for information on how easy or difficult that was. I think I will have to replace all of those things in my future.

Thanks!

Carl,

No I did not need to replace the cab mounts just the floors and that was because they had pin holes.

Mostly the edge of the floor to rockers, rear door post at rockers and cab corners where bad.

I just thought it was easier to replace the full floor and just a part of it.

All the pictures I took are posted on my site here http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100

Dave ----

Dave - We didn't change the centrifugal advance. What we changed was the initial and the vacuum. We backed the initial timing down from 18 to 14 to kill the kicking back on starting.

I can under stand the kick back on start up but you still end up with more total by 2* and how did that stop the pinging?

I never had kick back on start up but the pinging has to stop before it hurts the motor.

That is why I will stop the pinging for not and when I get the time really go over the timing, vacuum and AFR and if I can get better MPG great!

Thanks again

Dave ----

• 2 weeks later...

I can under stand the kick back on start up but you still end up with more total by 2* and how did that stop the pinging?

I never had kick back on start up but the pinging has to stop before it hurts the motor.

That is why I will stop the pinging for not and when I get the time really go over the timing, vacuum and AFR and if I can get better MPG great!

Thanks again

Dave ----

20210220_164909.thumb.jpg.ba78068bdc0d4f8ea4fc062e05bffb6e.jpg

Proof I use the truck.

After the weekly trash had to pick up a raised flower bed for the wife.

Dave ----

Ahhh, the 'garbage truck' in its natural environment! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

That looks more like a potting bench than a flower bed, but what do I know?

I am not a gardener or farmer so you might know more than I do :nabble_smiley_uh:

The wife was asking me all kind of questions on what to fill it with (dirt) and what mix.

Told her she needs to talk to people that do this all the time and not a truck driver.

I am just the grunt on this project LOL

Dave ----

I am not a gardener or farmer so you might know more than I do :nabble_smiley_uh:

The wife was asking me all kind of questions on what to fill it with (dirt) and what mix.

Told her she needs to talk to people that do this all the time and not a truck driver.

I am just the grunt on this project LOL

Dave ----

The obedient husband - with a truck. Well done!

• 3 weeks later...

The obedient husband - with a truck. Well done!

Got out early from work, well not really in at 2am and home by 10am.

Little nap and being a nice day outside I figured it was time to finish a few things on the truck.

First was the trailer brake controller. I had all the wires run down the frame to the rear and inside to ready to be hooked up but did not have the pig tail to complete the wiring at the time.

Well with pig tail in hand it was time to mount the controller and wire it up.

I did the mounting and son did the wiring he did a way nicer job then I would have.

I did not hook up to the trailer but I don't see why it would not work.

I also wired in a breaker to the power feed to the trailer plug to charge trailer battery if needed.

With that out of the way and still a little time left in the day again with help from my son we installed the air fuel ratio gauge. It works but I did not drive it other than to move it into the house garage from mine.

I hope to get the truck out tomorrow to see what the ratio is and see how much adjusting I need to do.

I also need to check the timing as I still have a little spark knock and that would also change the AFR.

Dave ----

Little nap and being a nice day outside I figured it was time to finish a few things on the truck.

First was the trailer brake controller. I had all the wires run down the frame to the rear and inside to ready to be hooked up but did not have the pig tail to complete the wiring at the time.

I did the mounting and son did the wiring he did a way nicer job then I would have.

I also wired in a breaker to the power feed to the trailer plug to charge trailer battery if needed.

With that out of the way and still a little time left in the day again with help from my son we installed the air fuel ratio gauge. It works but I did not drive it other than to move it into the house garage from mine.

I hope to get the truck out tomorrow to see what the ratio is and see how much adjusting I need to do.

I also need to check the timing as I still have a little spark knock and that would also change the AFR.

Dave ----

More layers of the onion. Feels good, doesn't it! :nabble_anim_claps:

Dave ----

So what have you found with the AFR gauge Dave? I'm still contemplating getting one. I'm happy with the way the truck drives at the moment. Just annoyed with the leaky pan gasket and the below par fuel economy. I'm thinking that an AFR gauge will just open another can of worms and have me chasing a rabbit down the hole...