Bullnose Forums

81 F100 flare side custom with 300 six & T18

FuzzFace2

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would think for the money they would give you a bracket for mounting it :nabble_smiley_angry:

I have to dig through my stash of stuff to see what I have for mounting it.

Dave ----

Yes, you are right! I'd forgotten that. I found an old meter bracket and used it. Sure would seem like for that much money they'd send one.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, you are right! I'd forgotten that. I found an old meter bracket and used it. Sure would seem like for that much money they'd send one.

I fussed with the truck today but did not get the AFR gauge installed as much as my son wanted me to.

I have heard more pinging of late and wanted to see where the timing was set at as I have not checked since I bought the truck.

With the cheap flash light battery powered one I have it was up around 16* to 18* bumped it back to about 12* to 14*. It is a lot better but still hear a little pinging so will bump it back a little more.

Factory should be 6* but I am sure I can go a little more.

I need to get a timing light with dial back to do it right.

I also looked into the PCV to see if that is why I am getting the milk shake on the oil fill cap.

It looks like it is working as it should but I also see I have a little more blow by than I would like.

When I first got the truck I checked the compression and I was happy with it so don't know why the blow by.

Dave ----

I fussed with the truck today but did not get the AFR gauge installed as much as my son wanted me to.

I have heard more pinging of late and wanted to see where the timing was set at as I have not checked since I bought the truck.

With the cheap flash light battery powered one I have it was up around 16* to 18* bumped it back to about 12* to 14*. It is a lot better but still hear a little pinging so will bump it back a little more.

Factory should be 6* but I am sure I can go a little more.

I need to get a timing light with dial back to do it right.

I also looked into the PCV to see if that is why I am getting the milk shake on the oil fill cap.

It looks like it is working as it should but I also see I have a little more blow by than I would like.

When I first got the truck I checked the compression and I was happy with it so don't know why the blow by.

Dave ----

That's not so much timing that I'd expect pinging on a 300 six. If I remember correctly, we had David/1986F150Six's up to about that at one point but didn't have pinging.

But if you are still getting it at 12 - 14 then I'd suggest you change the vacuum advance and not the initial timing. If your vacuum advance can has the adjustment most do just take a turn or two out and see if that doesn't help. That way you'll still have the earlier timing everywhere but at part throttle in a tall gear, which is where I'm guessing you are getting the pinging.

That's not so much timing that I'd expect pinging on a 300 six. If I remember correctly, we had David/1986F150Six's up to about that at one point but didn't have pinging.

But if you are still getting it at 12 - 14 then I'd suggest you change the vacuum advance and not the initial timing. If your vacuum advance can has the adjustment most do just take a turn or two out and see if that doesn't help. That way you'll still have the earlier timing everywhere but at part throttle in a tall gear, which is where I'm guessing you are getting the pinging.

When I first got the truck on the road the pinging was worst and I adjusted the vacuum back a good amount to stop most of the pinging.

I did think about adjusting it again as it is easy to do and as said would keep the timing earlier.

It did start with just a tap of the key when it was up pretty high, still not bad where its at.

Before the adjusting yesterday it would ping at about 1800 RPM @ 45 MPH in 4th gear -back roads.

After I got a little pinging at about 1400 /1500 RPM @ 68 MPH in 4th over drive - high way, did not ping at the 1800 RPM/45 MPH so going in the right direction.

Do you remember when working on David/1986F150Six's what octane was used and if it had ethanol?

I am using regular so low octane and it does have ethanol. I have run a tank(s) of mid grade octane and had no pinging before I did the adjusting yesterday so octane dose make a difference in my truck.

I am also guessing the blow by has to be making pass the rings and a part cause of the pinging also even if I don't get any oil smoke out the tail pipe.

A little more time and a good timing light we will get her dialed in :nabble_smiley_good:

Dave ----

When I first got the truck on the road the pinging was worst and I adjusted the vacuum back a good amount to stop most of the pinging.

I did think about adjusting it again as it is easy to do and as said would keep the timing earlier.

It did start with just a tap of the key when it was up pretty high, still not bad where its at.

Before the adjusting yesterday it would ping at about 1800 RPM @ 45 MPH in 4th gear -back roads.

After I got a little pinging at about 1400 /1500 RPM @ 68 MPH in 4th over drive - high way, did not ping at the 1800 RPM/45 MPH so going in the right direction.

Do you remember when working on David/1986F150Six's what octane was used and if it had ethanol?

I am using regular so low octane and it does have ethanol. I have run a tank(s) of mid grade octane and had no pinging before I did the adjusting yesterday so octane dose make a difference in my truck.

I am also guessing the blow by has to be making pass the rings and a part cause of the pinging also even if I don't get any oil smoke out the tail pipe.

A little more time and a good timing light we will get her dialed in :nabble_smiley_good:

Dave ----

David was running 87 octane pure gas. No ethanol.

On yours, you may be getting carbon deposits from the oil. Or maybe running way rich.

On yours, you may be getting carbon deposits from the oil. Or maybe running way rich.

Ethanol must have some part in the pinging?

We do have non-ethanol gas but to go through the trouble of getting it and may be some where were I cant get it I want to tune for Ethanol.

Still working on the "way rich" part, got to get the AFR gauge installed.

As for the oil guess I will just dial back the timing if that is the cause.

Dave ----

Ethanol must have some part in the pinging?

We do have non-ethanol gas but to go through the trouble of getting it and may be some where were I cant get it I want to tune for Ethanol.

Still working on the "way rich" part, got to get the AFR gauge installed.

As for the oil guess I will just dial back the timing if that is the cause.

Dave ----

Ethanol shouldn't contribute to knock.

Motor fuel is blended to make an octane grade (R+M/2 here in the states)

Dave, your drag racing experience should tell you that alcohols like methanol, ethanol and E85 can make tremendous power without knock at their stochiometric ratios (which is like 1/2 that of gasoline)

...or twice?.... closer to 7:1 than 14.7:1

But oil in the chamber(s) will act just like a diesel engine.

Clapped out 5.0's were notorious for this, because the PCV went to one runner instead of the plenum.

One melted piston or shattered top ring lands.

Fix your dizzy.

It's not pump gas causing knock.

Dave, your drag racing experience should tell you that alcohols like methanol, ethanol and E85 can make tremendous power without knock at their stochiometric ratios (which is like 1/2 that of gasoline)

...or twice?.... closer to 7:1 than 14:1

Clapped out 5.0's were notorious for this, because the PCV went to one runner instead of the plenum.

Fix your dizzy.

But it take 2 times as much alcohol than gas to make the same power and what if the 10% listed on the pump is on high end of teens?

I am going to pick up a timing light later today and hope it warms up some, was 25*f when I went out at 2am and is only 28*f now.

Maybe I will move the Javelin out so I can fire up the heater in the garage?

I have other things that I can also do to the truck today.

I will got to the bottom of the ping.

Dave ----

...or twice?.... closer to 7:1 than 14:1

Fix your dizzy.

But it take 2 times as much alcohol than gas to make the same power and what if the 10% listed on the pump is on high end of teens?

I am going to pick up a timing light later today and hope it warms up some, was 25*f when I went out at 2am and is only 28*f now.

Maybe I will move the Javelin out so I can fire up the heater in the garage?

I have other things that I can also do to the truck today.

I will got to the bottom of the ping.

Dave ----

It doesn't take two times as much alcohol to make the same power, it takes twice as much alcohol to have a stochiometric burn.

(Edit 11.7:1 for isopropyl, 9:1 for ethanol and 6.45:1 for methanol)

Alcohols have a much higher octane than hydrocarbons.... like somewhere above 110

That's how alcohol dragsters can run such high compression, and make so much power.

But that also means they get 1/2 the fuel mileage they would get on hydrocarbon race fuel.

This doesn't matter much if you only have to drive 1/4 mile at a time

The corn subsidy is federally mandated at 10%.

It costs more than petroleum. The oil companies aren't interested is using any more than they have to.