Bullnose Forums

81 F100 flare side custom with 300 six & T18

FuzzFace2

Started on the AC install yesterday.

Got the compressor mounted, my hand made mounts worked great.

Once the pump was in place I worked on hose fitment as I did not know if they would work.

2 of the 3 new ones fit and they were from the pump to condenser & pump to dryer, the dryer to condenser I had to reuse the old hose as the new one had a wrong end on it.

I think the newer evap coil has a different fitting that the new hose would have fit?

The pump to dryer sits up a little high so I needed to bend the tube on the dryer and should have enough room to close the hood.

I did get a newer dryer but it would not fit the evap coil so I ordered a new one for my year truck and will need to bend that tube. The newer dryer has a different tube so the hose sits lower to clear the hood but what I have will work just looks a little off.

Then I moved on to the compressor belt and run into a problem.

I have a mix of AC and non AC parts on the motor and did not know this till the compressor was bolted in place. I am also running a GM style PS pump and this was also causing a problem, it sits in the AC belt groove on the crank so I quit for the night to think this out.

Today after checking with members on how the belts run on a factory AC 300 six motor I found the 3 belts, ALT / AC / PS all go over the water pump pulley and crank. Well the PS is sitting where the AC belt needs to go and there is no groove in the WP pulley for this to happen. Non AC motors for PS just goes from crank to PS pump.

So first order was to see about finding a 3 groove water pump pulley for a 300 with factory AC, this could be BIG ISSUE as I am not finding one.

Plowing forward I had to move the PS pump back about 3/4" so it could use the center cranks groove, the ALT uses the one closest to the motor.

For now I was able to stack 2 nuts and longer bolts for the main mount and some washers and longer bolt for the rear adjusting bracket. I had to get a new belt as it now has to go over the water pump pulley but it works as I had the motor running and the belt did not fly off.

The new AC belt I got will not work, to short even now going over a small groove water pump pulley.

So when I get the right water pump pulley with 3 large grooves I can drive the truck to AZ and try belts till I get one to fit.

I tried to return the newer dryer, the AC belt that is to short and the hose that fits nothing I have but did not have the receipt for them, phone was home charging. So when I pick up the new dryer I will return them then.

So if any one knows where to get a 3 groove water pump pulley for a 300 motor that has factory AC please let me know I need 1 badly.

Dave ----

Dave - In looking at the water pump pulley listings for 300 sixes with A/C I see three of them, and they are all very close in size. I wonder if you can use one of the other two - if you can find it.

300_Six_Water_Pump_Pulleys_For_AC.thumb.jpg.f43b83606573b79149f5b12f54ab2f8e.jpg

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...if any one knows where to get a 3 groove water pump pulley for a 300 motor that has factory AC please let me know I need 1 badly.

Dave ----

Dave, a couple months back I was at the Kingman junkyard and found one and bought it as a rainy day spare or to help out a friend... I will send you an email

39F46FD1-B4B9-4A65-8B6B-088AB2D826D8.jpeg.fce69d43562ba93164ba18c2b1a919f8.jpeg

3A95AA48-B62C-4F06-B201-6B2F69860920.jpeg.25a3999da3f11b3b51b50821d5f62410.jpeg

Dave - In looking at the water pump pulley listings for 300 sixes with A/C I see three of them, and they are all very close in size. I wonder if you can use one of the other two - if you can find it.

Gary, the number stamped on the pulley I have does not jive with any of the AC application part numbers. It was removed from a 1980 F150 with factory AC, and my 81 has the same pulley. I don’t have a belt on the outer groove, but it lined up with the York and appears to line up with the newer compressor pulley just fine.

7A604D57-5DFA-4F2B-BFA4-22077A2E0FB8.jpeg.c2dd0e1e5a467c3936aff1dc96364545.jpeg

Gary, the number stamped on the pulley I have does not jive with any of the AC application part numbers. It was removed from a 1980 F150 with factory AC, and my 81 has the same pulley. I don’t have a belt on the outer groove, but it lined up with the York and appears to line up with the newer compressor pulley just fine.

Jonathan - I cross-referenced that ID #, D7TE 8509-CA, to part number D7TZ 8509-C using the books Bill/Numberdummy gave me. Then I looked that # up in the 1973-79 MPC and found this:

D7TZ_8509-C.thumb.jpg.db0e827c95516d6e63550cd251627432.jpg

Jonathan - I cross-referenced that ID #, D7TE 8509-CA, to part number D7TZ 8509-C using the books Bill/Numberdummy gave me. Then I looked that # up in the 1973-79 MPC and found this:

Jonathan, thank you for helping me on the pulley and all the other things you have over the years.

When I told the wife I ran into a problem she is like NO MORE MONEY!

That pulley is just what is needed to get the belt on the AC compressor.

Speaking of the belt and it just hit me, the belt I ordered was for my truck using the York pump and it would not fit even with the small dia. groove on the water pump pulley.

I need to check for a belt on say 85 truck as it would be using the same compressor that I am now.

I also saw the number on the pulley and when thru Gary's list and did not see it and was like WHAT?

Well we see it was a carry over. I was wondering if the older trucks would have the water pump pulley I needed when I put a WTB add up.

Again thank you guys for the help

Dave ----

Jonathan, thank you for helping me on the pulley and all the other things you have over the years.

When I told the wife I ran into a problem she is like NO MORE MONEY!

That pulley is just what is needed to get the belt on the AC compressor.

Speaking of the belt and it just hit me, the belt I ordered was for my truck using the York pump and it would not fit even with the small dia. groove on the water pump pulley.

I need to check for a belt on say 85 truck as it would be using the same compressor that I am now.

I also saw the number on the pulley and when thru Gary's list and did not see it and was like WHAT?

Well we see it was a carry over. I was wondering if the older trucks would have the water pump pulley I needed when I put a WTB add up.

Again thank you guys for the help

Dave ----

Glad to be able to help Dave, and glad that my impulse buying does some good once in a while ha ha. I think that a compressor belt for a 83-86 straight six 300 should fit. That’s what I ordered along with new hoses and a new dryer. That was two summers ago and I still haven’t rented the vacuum and finished the job! It’s shameful, but I really have not had the time to learn my way through the process and get it done.

Glad to be able to help Dave, and glad that my impulse buying does some good once in a while ha ha. I think that a compressor belt for a 83-86 straight six 300 should fit. That’s what I ordered along with new hoses and a new dryer. That was two summers ago and I still haven’t rented the vacuum and finished the job! It’s shameful, but I really have not had the time to learn my way through the process and get it done.

Keep impulse buying it not all the bad :nabble_anim_handshake:

I don't know why I get a belt for my 81 and not the 83-86 trucks? I have not checked on line if the belts are different but I am sure they are.

I have not done this part on an auto, steam chillers are a whole different ball game. I did have to run a vacuum pump on the 2 chillers at the start up of cooling season.

I picked up the PSI switch on the way home from work today and think I will stop and pick up a set of gauges tomorrow. My son said he has a set here somewhere but I don't remember seeing them around.

The new dryer should be here tomorrow and I will get a belt that I hope will fit.

I really want to try and get a vacuum on my system and check for leaks over the weekend.

Thanks again for your help

Dave ----

Keep impulse buying it not all the bad :nabble_anim_handshake:

I don't know why I get a belt for my 81 and not the 83-86 trucks? I have not checked on line if the belts are different but I am sure they are.

I have not done this part on an auto, steam chillers are a whole different ball game. I did have to run a vacuum pump on the 2 chillers at the start up of cooling season.

I picked up the PSI switch on the way home from work today and think I will stop and pick up a set of gauges tomorrow. My son said he has a set here somewhere but I don't remember seeing them around.

The new dryer should be here tomorrow and I will get a belt that I hope will fit.

I really want to try and get a vacuum on my system and check for leaks over the weekend.

Thanks again for your help

Dave ----

Dave, spent some time skimming through your build buddy! It is a great thread and very informative, thank you! You've taken that truck so far and it looks great.

BTW, am I seeing some AMC stuff in your shop? Thought I saw a Gremlin and perhaps a Javelin in a couple pics.

Dave, spent some time skimming through your build buddy! It is a great thread and very informative, thank you! You've taken that truck so far and it looks great.

BTW, am I seeing some AMC stuff in your shop? Thought I saw a Gremlin and perhaps a Javelin in a couple pics.

Thanks on the truck. It was just to be a truck to make weekly trash run to the dump but when I went to patch some holes that had patches already I had to start from scratch and snowed balled from there.

Yes you do see some AMC stuff. I have 2 - 1970 Javelins: 1 a 1/4 mile drag car I built in a small 1 car garage back in CT. Have not raced it for too many years and would need to go thru everything before hitting the track again. Car has a 360 / TH400 from a Jeep 4.56 Detroit locker out back.

The other is my street car project. I was trying to get it on the road for my 50th b,day and that did not happen 10 years ago. Under hood has been done, dash restored with custom gauges that look factory stock, and silver carbon fiber over lay that also looks factory till you look close. Body work is done on the nose and both doors. Working on flush mounting the front & rear glass then do body work to the roof & from the doors on back. The car has a 360 and T5 5sp, was a 390 / 4sp car from the factory.

I also have a 1975 factory v8/auto Gremlin that is mostly stock. I have a Holley 500 cfm v2 carb, shift kit in the trans and a lock right locker in the rear. I was drag racing it & driving it on the street before the drag car was done. The New England winters has done the body in and if I come across another small body AMC I will swap all the v8 parts over to it.

Yea I was into the ACM's pretty big before this pick up truck LOL

Dave ----

Thanks on the truck. It was just to be a truck to make weekly trash run to the dump but when I went to patch some holes that had patches already I had to start from scratch and snowed balled from there.

Yes you do see some AMC stuff. I have 2 - 1970 Javelins: 1 a 1/4 mile drag car I built in a small 1 car garage back in CT. Have not raced it for too many years and would need to go thru everything before hitting the track again. Car has a 360 / TH400 from a Jeep 4.56 Detroit locker out back.

The other is my street car project. I was trying to get it on the road for my 50th b,day and that did not happen 10 years ago. Under hood has been done, dash restored with custom gauges that look factory stock, and silver carbon fiber over lay that also looks factory till you look close. Body work is done on the nose and both doors. Working on flush mounting the front & rear glass then do body work to the roof & from the doors on back. The car has a 360 and T5 5sp, was a 390 / 4sp car from the factory.

I also have a 1975 factory v8/auto Gremlin that is mostly stock. I have a Holley 500 cfm v2 carb, shift kit in the trans and a lock right locker in the rear. I was drag racing it & driving it on the street before the drag car was done. The New England winters has done the body in and if I come across another small body AMC I will swap all the v8 parts over to it.

Yea I was into the ACM's pretty big before this pick up truck LOL

Dave ----

Little up date:

I got the right water pump pulley and get it installed, it was 1" smaller dia. then the one I removed.

The belt I thought was to small (117585) was for the 84-86 trucks and even with the smaller WP pulley was still to small had to go a little bigger (17600).

I picked up a gauge set & vacuum pump from HF. I did the pump only because I got thinking the loner most likely went thru hell so went new.

Today we pulled a vacuum and after some sweating of a leak, did not have valve open all the way and a hose leak, it held 28 HG for and hour+ then pulled more vacuum as I did something else.

I had to wire the pump clutch and run a ground from it. I used a weather pack plug because of it sitting on the from of the motor. But mow that I think of it I could have used butt connectors as the pump has a plug on it oh well.

I added 2.5 12oz cans of 134a and it blows cool but not cold. Gauge low side was about 45 psi / 50 134a, could not hook up the high side.

Few people say it needs more gas get it up to about 60 so need to get another can of 134a and see if that helps.

I also need to find and install a check valve between the vacuum can on the fender well and supply because when ever I give it gas the vent door moves from AC to defrost.

Dave ----