Bullnose Forums

81 F100 flare side custom with 300 six & T18

FuzzFace2

...I think they will need a coat of silver paint to look good.
Have you considered galvanizing spray instead of paint? I've used Rustoleum's cold spray on a few things, but it seems to rub off (not necessarily THROUGH to the metal below) very easily. When I was an industrial electrician's apprentice, we used a lot of hot galvanizing spray immediately after torching or welding, but it's not "cosmetically-appealing". :nabble_smiley_wink: I'm not sure anything you can apply at home will stand up to the abrasion that those chains endure.
...bike tire tube to cover the chain...
That makes the chains' color seem moot. Have you considered the later plastic-covered cables?

I just want the chains & latch to look good when I first get the truck on the road. It would be nice if the looked good over time but its a truck and will be used as one.

They just have to look better than this!

20180423_180956.jpg.9003ce6b985281da1f302d3e1927159a.jpg

As for plastic cables I really don't see how you could use them and the latch with out some goofy looking cable clamps. I also don't know how well they would flex / fold when the gate is closed & latched.

I think paint and bike tube will work good and look good too.

Besides I am sure I got the paint, the tube is a few bucks and it looks factory stock.

Dave ----

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want the chains & latch to look good when I first get the truck on the road. It would be nice if the looked good over time...
Then I'd look at new chain. The modern galvanizing is much-better than it was in the 70s. If you plan out the cut/weld location, it will be hidden inside the latch.
As for plastic cables...
Not plastic cables - plastic-COATED galvanized steel aircraft-type cable; the factory ones used on later trucks.
...them and the latch...
I totally forgot that the latches were on the chains. You're right - cables probably won't work.
I also don't know how well they would flex / fold when the gate is closed & latched.
They flex fine on '78-96 Broncos & ~90-up F150s (#17 in the diagram).

https://supermotors.net/getfile/484835/thumbnail/tailgatelatchpickup.jpg

https://supermotors.net/getfile/160920/thumbnail/tailgate-cables.jpg

I just want the chains & latch to look good when I first get the truck on the road. It would be nice if the looked good over time...
Then I'd look at new chain. The modern galvanizing is much-better than it was in the 70s. If you plan out the cut/weld location, it will be hidden inside the latch.
As for plastic cables...
Not plastic cables - plastic-COATED galvanized steel aircraft-type cable; the factory ones used on later trucks.
...them and the latch...
I totally forgot that the latches were on the chains. You're right - cables probably won't work.
I also don't know how well they would flex / fold when the gate is closed & latched.
They flex fine on '78-96 Broncos & ~90-up F150s (#17 in the diagram).

https://supermotors.net/getfile/484835/thumbnail/tailgatelatchpickup.jpg

https://supermotors.net/getfile/160920/thumbnail/tailgate-cables.jpg

The chain is not the type you can get in any store that I have seen.

It is also welded from the bolt to the hook so you would need to make cuts and re-weld or use a repair link and I don't like the look of the link.

LMC does sell new chains / latch assy. for $30 and chrome for $40. They also sell 2 chain covers for $6.

I am sure I can buy a bike tube for less than that and have enough to do more than 2 chains.

I have spent way too much on this project and need to cut back on the $$ where I can.

I had the chain assy. in Evap-O-Rust over night. I pulled them out a little bit ago, rinsed off and they look pretty good. I hit them with silver Rustoleum spray paint and they look good enough to me.

I may even have a tube some place but if not will pick one up to cover the chains.

Dave ----

It is also welded from the bolt to the hook so you would need to make cuts and re-weld or use a repair link and I don't like the look of the link.

LMC does sell new chains / latch assy. for $30 and chrome for $40. They also sell 2 chain covers for $6.

I am sure I can buy a bike tube for less than that and have enough to do more than 2 chains.

I have spent way too much on this project and need to cut back on the $$ where I can.

I had the chain assy. in Evap-O-Rust over night. I pulled them out a little bit ago, rinsed off and they look pretty good. I hit them with silver Rustoleum spray paint and they look good enough to me.

I may even have a tube some place but if not will pick one up to cover the chains.

Dave ----

Don't forget to put a hole in the bottom of the bike tube to let it drain when it rains.

Dave ----

Dave, the tailgate chains that I picked up for my flareside bed look about like yours. I know they were originally galvanized (and most/all of that is gone), but I also know my dad’s ‘66 flareside chains just had natural patina on them from being used. It was daily driven and the constant movement and handling/skin oil made sure they were never orange and powdery. If/when I ever get around to using that bed I was just going to clean the chains up with a wire wheel, apply rust neutralizer, then rub them down with WD40 and see how they do with use and handling. I don’t really want chrome or stainless shininess, and I feel like the plastic covers just promote more corrosion. It also stops the little clank and chink sounds that are a requisite part of the old flareside driving experience 😉

Working a grommet, even a rubber one if not a brass one, into the hole would both look finished as well as keep the hole open.

I was thinking before I put the tube covering on the chains I would use one of my hole punches to put the hole in it. If I fold the tube over and had the punch on half the edge it would make a complete hole when installed.

If I was to put a brass grommet on it may hit the body and mark it, Not good!

Dave, the tailgate chains that I picked up for my flareside bed look about like yours. I know they were originally galvanized (and most/all of that is gone), but I also know my dad’s ‘66 flareside chains just had natural patina on them from being used. It was daily driven and the constant movement and handling/skin oil made sure they were never orange and powdery. If/when I ever get around to using that bed I was just going to clean the chains up with a wire wheel, apply rust neutralizer, then rub them down with WD40 and see how they do with use and handling. I don’t really want chrome or stainless shininess, and I feel like the plastic covers just promote more corrosion. It also stops the little clank and chink sounds that are a requisite part of the old flare side driving experience.

The Evap-O-Rust dii a good job of getting the rust off.

Quick scrubbing & rinse and they were not bad. The silver paint was to make them look better on a freshly painted truck.

I don't want the stainless or chrome either.

As for the chain noise of an old flare side driving experience for now saving the paint is top on my mind ;)

Dave ----

The HVAC vacuum can fiber glass coating was dry so a little 400 sanding and hit it with black paint.

Did this late in the day so was not dry to install just yet.

I will have to get pictures of the chains & vacuum can.

Dave ----

"Can" and "fiberglass"? I've seen the 303 vacuum can and the ball, but one with a fiberglass coating I've not seen. Now I'm curious. Where are the pics???? :nabble_smiley_happy: