Bullnose Forums

81 F100 flare side custom with 300 six & T18

FuzzFace2

If you need any pictures of the harnesses let me know, my dash pad isn't screwed down so I can pull it off pretty easily (it's in poor shape so no risk of damage). My 12/79 truck had the connectors on the main dash bar behind the HVAC controls, so I'm sure yours does too.

I think mine is also in the same area from what I remember when working on the dash assy.

I just don't want to pull apart a lot because you stand a chance of breaking stuff.

Thanks for the offer.

Dave ----

Well Sunday I started with a few little things.

Used Velcro to hold the behind the seat storage to the back wall so it will not bang around.

I then looked into why the dome light did not work. Turns out I just needed to splice in the trucks wire to the dome light wire running down the "B" pillar and it now works.

20200204_175321.jpg.45482b82ae2fa095d7384a1c9fa8f3b9.jpg

With them done I moved on to the Ebay clock install. This took a few days as I cold not find the plug.

The plug in the area had the wrong colors and tested out as the under dash light plug.

The plug with the right wires had something in it. One end went to the harness and the other down into the darkness.

20200203_122459.jpg.e08b7593c10a8dbe81ed73cd254ea918.jpg

A little more digging and found the end of the wire with a plug that was attached to the bottom of the dash edge. I swapped the 2 plugs top / bottom then had to figure how to mate it and the pig tail on the clock together. Wound up cutting the plug off the wire harness and used butt connectors.

Other that needing to replace the 15 amp fuse I popped in checking power on wires the clock works.

20200204_175259.jpg.e991f4a461b2fb8e06ea469bf5388b26.jpg

Dave ----

Well Sunday I started with a few little things.

Used Velcro to hold the behind the seat storage to the back wall so it will not bang around.

I then looked into why the dome light did not work. Turns out I just needed to splice in the trucks wire to the dome light wire running down the "B" pillar and it now works.

With them done I moved on to the Ebay clock install. This took a few days as I cold not find the plug.

The plug in the area had the wrong colors and tested out as the under dash light plug.

The plug with the right wires had something in it. One end went to the harness and the other down into the darkness.

A little more digging and found the end of the wire with a plug that was attached to the bottom of the dash edge. I swapped the 2 plugs top / bottom then had to figure how to mate it and the pig tail on the clock together. Wound up cutting the plug off the wire harness and used butt connectors.

Other that needing to replace the 15 amp fuse I popped in checking power on wires the clock works.

Dave ----

Well done, Dave! You are into the mopping up phases. Lots of little things to sort out. You are really getting there. :nabble_anim_claps:

Well done, Dave! You are into the mopping up phases. Lots of little things to sort out. You are really getting there. :nabble_anim_claps:

Thanks

Putting off the NP435 transmission swap by doing little things LOL

I have new sun visors to dye red, put together and install.

Then fix the A pillars dye and install.

If I have the windshield fixed from leaking, guy that installed it did a crappy job :nabble_head-slap-23_orig: I will either get carpet, keeps the noise down, or rubber mat, easy to keep clean.

Dave ----

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

Putting off the NP435 transmission swap by doing little things LOL

I have new sun visors to dye red, put together and install.

Then fix the A pillars dye and install.

If I have the windshield fixed from leaking, guy that installed it did a crappy job :nabble_head-slap-23_orig: I will either get carpet, keeps the noise down, or rubber mat, easy to keep clean.

Dave ----

I have been enjoying the truck by driving it to work all last week and trash runs 2 weeks ends now.

The truck started marking the garage floor so need to check into that at some point.

When I checked the oil level I got milk shake on the stick and a little under the fill cap but none on the rockers or head that I can see thru the oil fill cap.

I don't see the coolant level low and the factory temp gauge makes it to the first line or maybe the n in normal.

It has a new stat but don't remember the temp at this time but even if it was a 185* it should be hot enough to boil out any moister on the 30 to 45 min ride to and from work.

I need to check that the PCV is working as it should to pull out any moister.

On a good note I have been keeping track of mileage and I am up to the low 14 MPG.

Not great but better than the 12 MPG I first reported. The only thing I have been trying to do is keep the speed to 65 MPH in a 70 MPH area with everyone doing 75+ MPH.

The RPM at 65 - 70 MPH is 2300 to 2500 RPM with a 2.75 rear gear and 1:1 trans gear. Remember the truck was built when the max speed limit was 55 MPH.

Dave ----

I have been enjoying the truck by driving it to work all last week and trash runs 2 weeks ends now.

The truck started marking the garage floor so need to check into that at some point.

When I checked the oil level I got milk shake on the stick and a little under the fill cap but none on the rockers or head that I can see thru the oil fill cap.

I don't see the coolant level low and the factory temp gauge makes it to the first line or maybe the n in normal.

It has a new stat but don't remember the temp at this time but even if it was a 185* it should be hot enough to boil out any moister on the 30 to 45 min ride to and from work.

On a good note I have been keeping track of mileage and I am up to the low 14 MPG.

Not great but better than the 12 MPG I first reported. The only thing I have been trying to do is keep the speed to 65 MPH in a 70 MPH area with everyone doing 75+ MPH.

The RPM at 65 - 70 MPH is 2300 to 2500 RPM with a 2.75 rear gear and 1:1 trans gear. Remember the truck was built when the max speed limit was 55 MPH.

Dave ----

I envy you getting to drive your truck. And working out the issues.

As for the milkshake, it does seem like it isn't getting thoroughly warm. Maybe the PVC system, or maybe just a 180 degree 'stat?

Dave ----

Woot woot!

Another Flareside back on the road. :nabble_smiley_good:

Good going Dave! :nabble_anim_handshake:

Working the kinks out is just another layer of the onion.... to Gary

But I would say you've bettered the wise old owl and licked your way to the center of the tootsie pop.

Now you've reached the candy center, and get to enjoy the effort it took to get there.

I envy you getting to drive your truck.

So do I. Severely.

As for the Milkshake part, I don't have a solution, but wasn't that a known Ford thing back in the day? I pumped gas at a Texaco for a few years in highschool (late 80's) and we always joked about all the Fords and their milky dipsticks and oil filler caps. They were usually all cars like Crown Vic's and such, but still.

I envy you getting to drive your truck.

So do I. Severely.

As for the Milkshake part, I don't have a solution, but wasn't that a known Ford thing back in the day? I pumped gas at a Texaco for a few years in highschool (late 80's) and we always joked about all the Fords and their milky dipsticks and oil filler caps. They were usually all cars like Crown Vic's and such, but still.

Thanks guys,

I been putting off the NP435 transmission swap because

1- it is a heavy beast

2- I do like driving the truck after 4 years of working on it.

It rained a few days I took it to work, so glad I did the intermittent wipers. I don't worry about the rain as I built the truck to drive.

As for the milk shake I have a little digging to find out why.

The easy part is to check the PCV if working. I am teeing off the top to get vacuum to the charcoal canisters. I had to put a Holley jet in that line as it was pulling too much vacuum and caused a vacuum leak. I wonder if I need to go smaller on the jet, it was the smallest I had on hand so would need to make something up.

Next would be to check the stat to make sure it is not stuck open and that it is a 195*.

I think I remember before I got the truck on the road the temp gauge going up close to the middle of gauge but I think I still had the old radiator?

I also need to tighten the ALT belt a little as it makes a little noise on start up, new belt.

I need for it to warm up a little bit more so I can paint the new sun visors I have and get them installed.

Then I can get the inside mirror mounted. The mounting tab is off the glass and I had a truck the glass shop put the tab on in the wrong place and could not use 1 of the visors and I don't want that to happen to this truck and why I need the visors installed.

Dave ----

Thanks guys,

1- it is a heavy beast

It rained a few days I took it to work, so glad I did the intermittent wipers. I don't worry about the rain as I built the truck to drive.

The easy part is to check the PCV if working. I am teeing off the top to get vacuum to the charcoal canisters. I had to put a Holley jet in that line as it was pulling too much vacuum and caused a vacuum leak. I wonder if I need to go smaller on the jet, it was the smallest I had on hand so would need to make something up.

Next would be to check the stat to make sure it is not stuck open and that it is a 195*.

I think I remember before I got the truck on the road the temp gauge going up close to the middle of gauge but I think I still had the old radiator?

I also need to tighten the ALT belt a little as it makes a little noise on start up, new belt.

I need for it to warm up a little bit more so I can paint the new sun visors I have and get them installed.

Then I can get the inside mirror mounted. The mounting tab is off the glass and I had a truck the glass shop put the tab on in the wrong place and could not use 1 of the visors and I don't want that to happen to this truck and why I need the visors installed.

Dave ----

Yeah, I fully understand the desire to drive it after so many years of working on it!

And you are right, that tranny is heavy. I can carry it, but lifting it up into place ain't gonna happen at my age.

Thanks guys,

1- it is a heavy beast

Dave ----

I'd think centered is centered? :nabble_anim_confused:

I mean, the visor mounting bosses are stamped into the roof, aren't they?