Bullnose Forums

81 F100 flare side custom with 300 six & T18

FuzzFace2

Dave - I think the Allen wrench you want to try is 1/8" not 3/32". However, I'm not sure that is accurate information because it comes from guys who are known to say things that aren't very accurate. It is from this thread on FTE. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Seriously, I did a search for "crane adjustable vacuum advance ford 300 six" and the very first result was a thread on FTE. And when I started reading the text of the first post, before I even clicked on the search results, I thought "That sounds familiar." Indeed it was/is. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Do they really make a special can for the 300?

I thought they fit any DSII distributor.

The only thing different ***up top** is the reluctor and the cap, right?

Dave - I think the Allen wrench you want to try is 1/8" not 3/32". However, I'm not sure that is accurate information because it comes from guys who are known to say things that aren't very accurate. It is from this thread on FTE. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Seriously, I did a search for "crane adjustable vacuum advance ford 300 six" and the very first result was a thread on FTE. And when I started reading the text of the first post, before I even clicked on the search results, I thought "That sounds familiar." Indeed it was/is. :nabble_smiley_blush:

I will go out with my Allen set so I don't have to keep heading to the tool box LOL

I did a Summit & Jeg's search: Jeg's did not list anything for the F150 truck for any motor? Maybe why I don't use them?

Summit did list the Crane but think was for the 302 and was not sure it would fit the 300 six? And at $45+ I would have to do more checking before I pulled the trigger for it. Fingers crossed mine is adjustable.

The others listed on Summit were Standard products non-adjustable, 6 different part numbers but no listing of the working HG so I don't know how you would pick the right one ?

I did not think of checking over there to see if anything was listed.

Didn't you post that at your show you did a vacuum adjustment and if so was this on a 300?

If also so was it the stock factory can bolted to the dist.?

Good news the Blue Top box has been ordered. Banker said I needed it so before she changed her mind I got it.

I also checked both boxes I have and both have casting marks from Ford so core(s) should be good.

Dave ----

Jim - Not sure if this guy knows what he is talking about, but he says the 300's dizzy rotates the opposite direction. :nabble_anim_blbl:

Read a bit more in that thread and those yokels suggested that the screws may come in from the bottom. :nabble_anim_crazy:

Dave - Glad you got the BlueTop on order. :nabble_smiley_good:

Well, I guess Gary schooled me.

I definitely did not remember that thread. :nabble_smiley_teeth:

Nor did I! Looked at the search results and thought "That's kinda the way I string words together." Then got in there and it was deja vu all over again.

I went over the link you posted on FTE and if I understand it the factory cans / vacuum advance units for the 300 six could be adjustable for 81 & 83 and not sure on the 82?

I will check and hope my can is adjustable as we (me) are not sure if the Crane unit will work or not.

Also when I looked up the cans on Summit Racing, Standard products, none were adjustable from the details. So unless mine is not adjustable I will need to find a Motorcraft one for 81-83 300 six.

There is hope yet

Thanks

Dave ----

They appear to be quite a bit different.

The small block 302 and 351 distributor has the vacuum advance arm inside the housing like below:

3006.jpg.96d018d1eba59c35872980a274f89281.jpg

The 300 has the cannister and arm outside of the base assembly...

3001.jpg.3333dbec2804fadd19160fbb06c0439b.jpg

Going by those pictures, the vacuum advance mechanism is similar, but not the same.

I crudely put the 300 distributor beside the Crane advance below, and at a glance, it doesn't look like it would work to me, but I could easily be 100% wrong. I'm just screwin' around.

Capture1111.jpg.7134593e03926a80492b396757e027ac.jpg

Dave, I *may* have a Crane vacuum advance you can use, I'm not sure yet. I have a new distributor coming from Parkland Performance soon, and he will be sending my old distributor back (and it had a Crane vacuum advance on it). Only thing is, I'm not sure if he was going to reuse the Crane advance or not. I probably won't have it back for a couple weeks, so I don't know.

The small block 302 and 351 distributor has the vacuum advance arm inside the housing like below:

Going by those pictures, the vacuum advance mechanism is similar, but not the same.

I crudely put the 300 distributor beside the Crane advance below, and at a glance, it doesn't look like it would work to me, but I could easily be 100% wrong. I'm just screwin' around.

Dave, I *may* have a Crane vacuum advance you can use, I'm not sure yet. I have a new distributor coming from Parkland Performance soon, and he will be sending my old distributor back (and it had a Crane vacuum advance on it). Only thing is, I'm not sure if he was going to reuse the Crane advance or not. I probably won't have it back for a couple weeks, so I don't know.

PS: Also, if you look at the small block vacuum advance and the Crane unit, there is a bend in the arm, and the 300 vacuum advance arm appears to be flat.

Good sleuthing Cory, and I appreciate the side by side comparison. :nabble_smiley_good:

Gary's link to the FTE thread kind of shows the how and why but you (and the I-6 fan base here) certainly have a better handle than I even remember having.

Maybe Dave's dizzy already has adjustable advance.

Maybe someone has one to offer up in the marketpace/FTAGH.

Maybe another answer is to put a hard stop to the amount of advance the vacuum canister can pull in.

Good sleuthing Cory, and I appreciate the side by side comparison. :nabble_smiley_good:

I don't know anything...lol. I was just screwing around on RockAuto while I'm sipping my first coffee.:nabble_smiley_grin:

I have the Crane kit on my old distributor, but I don't have much experience with the 300/6 stuff.

I am oddly fascinated by the 300/6 and would love to have a Bullnose with one...maybe someday!

But, we do have some 300 Experts on here, so I'm confident the boys will sort out any issue in short order.