Bullnose Forums

81 F100 flare side custom with 300 six & T18

FuzzFace2

In other words, if you find slop it is time for a new box.

that's what I am afraid of.

I am not sapose to be peeling this onion any more just enjoying it!

I just have to check it out when I remember.

Dave ----

You've got a pretty small onion at this point though! :nabble_smiley_good:

Mine is still an award winner at the state fair. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

Having to catch up on my sleep, 4 hours a night up at 12am or 1am and not home till 5pm or later catches up so got a late start on the speedo gear fix.

Got to say the hardest part was trying to remove the flat snap ring to get the gear off the out put shaft.

It would have been easy if I could have found my piston ring pliers but that last time I seen / used them was 6+ years ago before the move.

With the drive & driven gears swapped out I moved to the shifter tower plate as I could see oil dripping down the side of the trany case.

When working on the tail housing it looked like someone had been in this thing and when I removed the top plate as saw the RTV used as a gasket it was changed to YES!

I found all but 2 bolts loose and was thinking to just tighten them but know it would come back to bit me and good thing I did remove the plate.

There was not a lot of the RTV left to seal and I found something else.

20191124_123145.jpg.4d81004ca8451bb14277880b83661e25.jpg

20191124_123217.jpg.b5bf1a824d4730c88f9c8c71b8b56894.jpg

Or is that not found?

It is missing the plastic pad on the reverse fork.

Now when shifting if you try too hard or to fast it has a hard time going into 2nd & 4th gears, as in not hard going into gear but grinding. Like if you went into granny low or reverse while so I wonder if reverse was moving a little and the cause of the grinding?

I found a set of 5 plastic pads for $8 and free shipping. I could not see 3 day shipping for $15 on a $8 part but would be nice if I got it before the holiday.

Dave ----

Having to catch up on my sleep, 4 hours a night up at 12am or 1am and not home till 5pm or later catches up so got a late start on the speedo gear fix.

Got to say the hardest part was trying to remove the flat snap ring to get the gear off the out put shaft.

It would have been easy if I could have found my piston ring pliers but that last time I seen / used them was 6+ years ago before the move.

With the drive & driven gears swapped out I moved to the shifter tower plate as I could see oil dripping down the side of the trany case.

When working on the tail housing it looked like someone had been in this thing and when I removed the top plate as saw the RTV used as a gasket it was changed to YES!

I found all but 2 bolts loose and was thinking to just tighten them but know it would come back to bit me and good thing I did remove the plate.

There was not a lot of the RTV left to seal and I found something else.

Or is that not found?

It is missing the plastic pad on the reverse fork.

Now when shifting if you try too hard or to fast it has a hard time going into 2nd & 4th gears, as in not hard going into gear but grinding. Like if you went into granny low or reverse while so I wonder if reverse was moving a little and the cause of the grinding?

I found a set of 5 plastic pads for $8 and free shipping. I could not see 3 day shipping for $15 on a $8 part but would be nice if I got it before the holiday.

Dave ----

Aren't you glad you took it apart!!!! Gonna shift lots better with those pads on the forks. In fact, you are lucky it shifted at all. Had an NP208 w/o the pads and it wouldn't go into 4LO. Just couldn't move things that far w/o them.

And, you got the drive gear swapped. :nabble_anim_claps:

Tranny ought to be much smoother, shouldn't leak, and the speedo ought to work to boot. Is it about time for a Bloomin' Onion? :nabble_anim_jump:

Aren't you glad you took it apart!!!! Gonna shift lots better with those pads on the forks. In fact, you are lucky it shifted at all. Had an NP208 w/o the pads and it wouldn't go into 4LO. Just couldn't move things that far w/o them.

Tranny ought to be much smoother, shouldn't leak, and the speedo ought to work to boot. Is it about time for a Bloomin' Onion? :nabble_anim_jump:

I'm just seeing this, what a fantastic project you've done here. Thanks for sharing it.

I hope it shifts better as it shifts worst than my work truck and that 10sp has no synchros.

Yep speedo should work.

The old drive and new were the same colors, burgundy.

The driven was white 17 tooth and I went with burgundy 16 tooth.

IIRC I have 2 17 tooth & a 18 tooth to dial it in once on the road.

I know the cable turns with out binding so hope good there.

Dave ----

I'm just seeing this, what a fantastic project you've done here. Thanks for sharing it.

Thanks

It only took 4 years doing all the work myself.

From what it was to this it came out way better for a driver than most would think.

If I have it together for Friday I will take it to work and then Saturday trash to the dump.

BTW I bought the truck for $800 to take the trash to the dump each week.

Dave ----

Thanks

It only took 4 years doing all the work myself.

From what it was to this it came out way better for a driver than most would think.

If I have it together for Friday I will take it to work and then Saturday trash to the dump.

BTW I bought the truck for $800 to take the trash to the dump each week.

Dave ----

So, it 'only' took four years and how many :nabble_money-flying-23_orig: for it to fulfill its intended purpose??? :nabble_smiley_evil:

Dave, you've done an amazing job! 😎

At least it's kept you off the streets and out of trouble....

So, it 'only' took four years and how many :nabble_money-flying-23_orig: for it to fulfill its intended purpose??? :nabble_smiley_evil:

Dave, you've done an amazing job! 😎

At least it's kept you off the streets and out of trouble....

Yep picked it up December 2015.

I have not gone thru the bag of papers to see how much I have spent.

I can tell you just in the red & white paint is a $1000, and nothing else.

Yes kept me off the streets but in trouble with the wife the whole time :nabble_smiley_hurt:

Thanks

Dave ----