Bullnose Forums

81 F100 flare side custom with 300 six & T18

FuzzFace2

Dave did you already post a write up on how you did the fog lights?

I did not really do a write up it was more of a post in here as part of my project.

Gary had asked how I was going to mount my selective yellow fog lights.

I was hoping for very much what Dave has.

I'm all ears! 🤓

This is the finished product

I wanted driving lights but not mounted on top or below the bumper.

Looking thru LMC site I seen the late 70's truck had a front bumper with the lights in it but not so for the 80's trucks. They sell just the lights as replacements and listed the size.

I then made mock up light size from card board (green in the pictures) and placed them on the bumper to see where they would look the best. The 70's they were to the center but we have the frame / mount that moved them in more and just did not work for me.

Thing is if you move them to the outside of the frame / mount that puts the light on the bumper that is angled back so the lights would be pointing to the outsides and not in front.

So to get them to point straight I had to angle them in the bumper and to make it look right I had to frame it out so you doing see a gap between the light & bumper.

The openings could have been a little bigger to aid in light adjustment.

Here are links of picture when doing this.

http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=54

http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=55

Hope that helps.

Dave ----

Ordered the Booster, picked up the master so should have brakes by the weekend ... I hope.

Worked on the clutch linkage.

The ball part of the motor side Z bar pivot broke off from the threaded part, weld never took to the ball part.

I had a 2nd bolt from when this first happened so that was the start of the fix with the ball.

I picked up 2 different size harden dowels and 2 different size roll pins.

Plan was to drill out the center of the bolt and the ball and drive a dowel or pin in to help make it stronger then weld the he11 out of it. pictures to follow later.

So that is what I did, drilled, drive a roll pin in and weld it up. I ground down the weld to make it look good. I need to run a die down the threaded part thing is it is 9/16" and my set only goes up to 1/2" so need to find one some where.

Dave ----

Ordered the Booster, picked up the master so should have brakes by the weekend ... I hope.

The ball part of the motor side Z bar pivot broke off from the threaded part, weld never took to the ball part.

I had a 2nd bolt from when this first happened so that was the start of the fix with the ball.

Plan was to drill out the center of the bolt and the ball and drive a dowel or pin in to help make it stronger then weld the he11 out of it. pictures to follow later.

So that is what I did, drilled, drive a roll pin in and weld it up. I ground down the weld to make it look good. I need to run a die down the threaded part thing is it is 9/16" and my set only goes up to 1/2" so need to find one some where.

Dave ----

The dowel should strengthen it quite well. But there is a lot of force on that thing. I hope it holds. :nabble_smiley_good:

Dave ----

Dave, Call LMC and sell them the bumper idea. Ill buy one lol. Heck they already have a rear bumper like this.

Dave, Call LMC and sell them the bumper idea. Ill buy one lol. Heck they already have a rear bumper like this.

I have the booster, master and a little more work on the motor side Z bar clutch pivot but work keeps getting in the way.

I hope after wok I can get something done as I will only have 2 day before the show and it still needs to be washed & a little detailing.

This is starting to turn into one of them TV shows with all the drama of dead lines due and a lot of work still needed!

Welcome to Dave's garage.

This week we have a 1981 Ford F100 Custom Flare Side pick up truck.

We only have 2 days to go thru the truck and we know it needs brakes looked at as it does not stop but we cant get it going because something is wrong with the clutch.

And the catch besides the 2 days, may only have a few hours each day to do any work on it ...... stay tuned!

Dave ----

The dowel should strengthen it quite well. But there is a lot of force on that thing. I hope it holds. :nabble_smiley_good:

You are not the only one that hopes it holds :nabble_smiley_good:

I needed to clean up the threads on thebolt part and I thought it was 9/16"nc and found it was 5/8"nc as 1 of the garage guys at work on a die to chase the threads.

I still think it needs more work so I bought a tap & die set for large jobs.

It has 1/4" thru 1/2" then has 9/16", 5/8", 3/4", 7/8" and 1"

Will get pictures if I don't get in the zone and forget.

I did see the rear but it will not fit the flair side, it's made for the style side beds.

I also don't think lights would look good in the rear bumper as it is pretty thin.

20191012_174905.jpg.31c3592e82db8c99ef8cf8514ad00896.jpg

I also hate this new fad of the LED light bars but short ones may work under the bumper.

When I was working on getting the back up lights working they are pretty bright and maybe just an LED bulb upgrade in the factory type light may be all it needs for more rear light.

Dave ----

I have the booster, master and a little more work on the motor side Z bar clutch pivot but work keeps getting in the way.

I hope after wok I can get something done as I will only have 2 day before the show and it still needs to be washed & a little detailing.

This is starting to turn into one of them TV shows with all the drama of dead lines due and a lot of work still needed!

We only have 2 days to go thru the truck and we know it needs brakes looked at as it does not stop but we cant get it going because something is wrong with the clutch.

And the catch besides the 2 days, may only have a few hours each day to do any work on it ...... stay tuned!

Dave ----

That's funny! Hope you get it done. They are going to love the truck. :nabble_smiley_good:

Dave ----

Oh! How I hate the scripted 'reality', all the fake drama and the stupidity of assembling a bunch of sponsors 'product placement' and calling it "Custom"... 😖

So glad I don't own a tv.

Dave you're resourceful and on a mission.

I can tell you're going to pull it off.

Back to the pivot. I'd made the suggestion that it got modeled up in CAD and subjected to FEA, then the file uploaded to thingyverse or Shapeways.

Then this unobtainable part could be made -stronger- by anyone who needed one.

Porsche is already doing this with parts for their classic cars that don't have the volume demand to warrant making new dies or patterns.

Oh! How I hate the scripted 'reality', all the fake drama and the stupidity of assembling a bunch of sponsors 'product placement' and calling it "Custom"... 😖

Back to the pivot. I'd made the suggestion that it got modeled up in CAD and subjected to FEA, then the file uploaded to thingyverse or Shapeways.

Porsche is already doing this with parts for their classic cars that don't have the volume demand to warrant making new dies or patterns.

Some of that stuff I can't watch because of the BS.

I do have to say some of the guys got skills and would like just to watch in person how they make some of the parts.

On the pivot if this fails I have been thinking of how to make a new one.

Not having a lathe makes it hard to do what I been thinking.

But thinking positive it will not break again.

Dave ----

Some of that stuff I can't watch because of the BS.

I do have to say some of the guys got skills and would like just to watch in person how they make some of the parts.

On the pivot if this fails I have been thinking of how to make a new one.

Not having a lathe makes it hard to do what I been thinking.

But thinking positive it will not break again.

Dave ----

Who knows, if Ray works a little CAD magic with some iterative FEA you may be able to get one that is stronger (and more organic) than stock, at the click of a mouse.

This would be a boon for all pre-'83 (or '84) owners with the mechanical linkage.

Who knows, if Ray works a little CAD magic with some iterative FEA you may be able to get one that is stronger (and more organic) than stock, at the click of a mouse.

This would be a boon for all pre-'83 (or '84) owners with the mechanical linkage.

Clutch pivot motor side.

How it looked when I got the truck, years of no bushings did it in.

20160529_184035.jpg.f31b5abe89ac376e23566d49d512c739.jpg

What it looked like after the first fix.

20160618_133113.jpg.0ccce5afe33fb6d56adcdee2e24ea46d.jpg

When it broke the first time.

20180415_113446.jpg.1da22126ccb1f712e4392df29219af61.jpg

What it looked like after the 2nd fix along with the 2nd bolt, I cut the head off the 1stbolt and welded the threads to the ball.

20180415_133340.jpg.90f2cdfb5fd0bdc5dce64231fbf750af.jpg

So when it broke this time the threaded part broke off from the ball, bad welding.

So I took the 2nd bolt drilled down the center, cut the head off and drilled the center of the ball and drove a roll pin thru it.

20191105_170016.jpg.a9c8a0c6ed6789ecb6fa68334a26102f.jpg

20191105_170034.jpg.599a771b3bcd3a32ced771190a9fe452.jpg

Welded up and ground & filed to fit the block. Not pretty but should not break again.

20191108_140840.jpg.a90641d560130c539459f9715d3cdb1b.jpg

All the parts and put together.

20191108_140828.jpg.53d1a569d96d673b87fcb2351beac20b.jpg

20191108_141036.jpg.b8b5e014ffd5ba59e4c6da2c1f30f47f.jpg

For got to get a picture ofit in place.

Dave ----