Bullnose Forums

81 F100 flare side custom with 300 six & T18

FuzzFace2

Are you going to paint the "FORD" on the tail gate white to match the sides?

On the Grille/Doors, how did that metal paint come out. The metal/chrome on mine is getting a bit rough thought about either painting it or replacing it myself.

I was looking to paint it like the factory did but too much work so the plan it to get reflective letters as I think the back nerds more to be seen in the dark.

I leave for work anywhere between 12am and 7am when it is still dark out, at work now, so the letters should do that.

Other than the picture, I have not looked at the grille & head light doors since I painted them. It was the last thing I did and called it a day.

On the grill & doors they should be replaced. The chrome on the doors are showing wear and 1 has a Crack thru the chrome but no money so we do what we can.

What I painted on the doors was where the factory painted and cleaned the rest the best I could. Grille painted to match the doors.

Dave ----

I was looking to paint it like the factory did but too much work so the plan it to get reflective letters as I think the back nerds more to be seen in the dark.

Weren't the original letters decals? My '84 had old cracked and weathered decals for the tailgate letters. Again, maybe this is something that changed over the years?

I bought the ones on Ebay and they fit and went on nicely. My originals were white also.

IMG_8779.jpg.4a7598397b62d9c776d9a32cf1cdffd3.jpg

Weren't the original letters decals? My '84 had old cracked and weathered decals for the tailgate letters. Again, maybe this is something that changed over the years?

I bought the ones on Ebay and they fit and went on nicely. My originals were white also.

The gate I have that my brother sent me from calif they were painted on.

On phon now so can't get a picture of when I got it.

Dave ----

Thanks guys

I am happy how the paint flowed out just not happy on the dirt that got in it but I guess it is going to happen when you paint in a garage that you also used to do body work in.

But to tell you it is not the body filler dust in it this is little bigger than that, like the bug I found still moving but was stuck in the paint :nabble_smiley_cry:

As for being done before you Gary we are building our trucks on 2 different levels.

Unless it was powder coated from the factory there is no powder coat on my truck.

I am sure the paint jobs can not compare to each other either.

I also have a dead line of November 9th. Work is having a car / truck show for its 60th birthday and would like to take the truck. The inside will not be complete, lack of funds, but the outside should be.

I need to replace the booster & master, E brake cables again as they don't hold and no more adjustment and 4 tires and should be road worthy.

The hardest part I see coming up is the windshield install as I need a hand and don't really know anyone around here but "I" will get it installed.

Dave ----

The inexpensive Horrid Fate suction cup handles seem to work well enough.

I have a pair I have used for a couple of storefronts so far.

The inexpensive Horrid Fate suction cup handles seem to work well enough.

I have a pair I have used for a couple of storefronts so far.

Home early from work and mounted the grille & head light doors, put the first chip in the paint :

The grille is not sitting square in the opening and when I closed the hood it hit the grille and chipped it.

I also could not see it was not square till the hood was closed.

I have to pull it all apart and see if I can adjust the brackets the grille bolts to.

This nose is from the parts truck that rolled on its roof and wonder if it get tweaked?

I turned the truck around to get more room to work on the tail lights.

I had to un-tape the style side harness to see what I had to work with and cut the wires & plugs off the broken factory flare side lights and prepped all wires to soilder

I also see the ground wires on the style side tail light harness only goes between the light sockets and 2 eyelets that get screwed to the bed behind each light.

It has been posted later years the ground runs back up front and screws to the fire wall inside the cab behind the radio.

Dave ----

Home early from work and mounted the grille & head light doors, put the first chip in the paint :

The grille is not sitting square in the opening and when I closed the hood it hit the grille and chipped it.

I also could not see it was not square till the hood was closed.

I have to pull it all apart and see if I can adjust the brackets the grille bolts to.

This nose is from the parts truck that rolled on its roof and wonder if it get tweaked?

I turned the truck around to get more room to work on the tail lights.

I had to un-tape the style side harness to see what I had to work with and cut the wires & plugs off the broken factory flare side lights and prepped all wires to soilder

I also see the ground wires on the style side tail light harness only goes between the light sockets and 2 eyelets that get screwed to the bed behind each light.

It has been posted later years the ground runs back up front and screws to the fire wall inside the cab behind the radio.

Dave ----

Bummer on the chip! But it is a question of when not if. :nabble_smiley_sad:

On the grounds, the Flaresides only grounded at the socket while Stylesides and others went back to the ground in the cab, as shown in this page from the '85 EVTM:

1985-etm-page79.thumb.jpg.2fd5c4c901fc7ab136b1ade01bb6440a.jpg

Bummer on the chip! But it is a question of when not if. :nabble_smiley_sad:

On the grounds, the Flaresides only grounded at the socket while Stylesides and others went back to the ground in the cab, as shown in this page from the '85 EVTM:

Oh, I missed that you are using a Styleside harness. It looks like in '84 the ground started running all the way back. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Oh, I missed that you are using a Styleside harness. It looks like in '84 the ground started running all the way back. :nabble_smiley_blush:

I had to use all the harnesses from the style side parts truck because of duel tanks and I did not have a flare side tail light harness.

Someone cut off the frame rail harness plug and use other wire to wire in them cheap boat trailer lights that were not wired & broken.

Like Cory did I have to splice on the flare side light plugs to both the new lights and the style side harness so it should all look factory when done like the other things I have added.

Dave ----

I had to use all the harnesses from the style side parts truck because of duel tanks and I did not have a flare side tail light harness.

Someone cut off the frame rail harness plug and use other wire to wire in them cheap boat trailer lights that were not wired & broken.

Like Cory did I have to splice on the flare side light plugs to both the new lights and the style side harness so it should all look factory when done like the other things I have added.

Dave ----

It will look great! :nabble_smiley_good:

I'd say "professionally done", but we all know that :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: is lurking, and he's apparently paid, which makes him "professional".

It will look great! :nabble_smiley_good:

I'd say "professionally done", but we all know that :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: is lurking, and he's apparently paid, which makes him "professional".

Reflective vinyl for the letters is a great idea. I may be able to get my wife to cut out some decals for me but my truck is going to be white already, not sure how that would fly. I have considered painting or using a decal to make them black.