Bullnose Forums

81 F100 flare side custom with 300 six & T18

FuzzFace2

Might they arrive on Saturday?

On line said they were on the truck at 4:30am.

I was doing yard work all day, kept the dogs in most of that time and never saw a truck.

So they never came Saturday and today would have been a great day to do that work as we got up snow on the ground with ice on top and rain after it.

With no parts and to cold (read lazy as I have a heater I could use) to do body work I stayed in the warm house.

Boss said to call in to work but I am thinking the trucks will stay parked for another day. Besides its too wet for cement work so I hope the parts come tomorrow.

Dave ----

I got the AC condenser & Radiator today what a little snow will do to packages!

I don't know when I will mount the new radiator as I have to come up with a fan shroud and will use the old one for fitting so I don't hurt the new one.

I will mount the condenser as that needs "adjustment" to fit and will take a little work to do.

Dave ----

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know when I will mount the new radiator as I have to come up with a fan shroud and will use the old one for fitting so I don't hurt the new one.

I will mount the condenser as that needs "adjustment" to fit and will take a little work to do.

Dave ----

Did they lay them in the snow? :nabble_smiley_sad:

Anyway, I'll be they are pretty. As for the shroud, I don't know how big of a deal it is that the shroud fits the fan closely. But, you could always find the fan blade to fit whatever shroud you find.

Dave ----

Hi Dave, remind me... was your brother able to source AC brackets for you? I was looking at your engine pic and it looks like you are running a Saginaw? Not sure if that PS pump bracket jives with the 83+ AC stuff. I also noticed that you have the tiny little weird I6 power steering fluid cooler loop. My ‘81 has that and the fluid smelled really burnt. If you have the opportunity I would suggest grabbing the longer type from V8 or heavier duty truck.

62A8B537-7032-4D22-B1E5-6139201DD406.thumb.jpeg.b5c3bd70fe3d501f8af96bc54a7bac6a.jpeg

D0CBDD4C-575B-49F4-83D4-BF00C6789EE1.jpeg.2989f84ae740731360803c58c187c644.jpeg

I don’t know if this helps at all, but I found a pic of the shroud mounted to the radiator out of my ‘82 donor. It’s the wide “extra cooling” model so the hole is fairly off set. The junkyards in Flagstaff and Prescott charge I think $15 for fan shrouds, but shipping it to you would cost more than the part. I don’t go as often as I used to but I can look next time I am able to go, if you would like. My ‘81 had the narrower shroud for the standard radiator and it was thrashed so I discarded it.

9BF07EBA-772B-46A5-8F7D-8C3ECE83B569.jpeg.9f6de932543cb4ed0fb17b1f2b5a6b09.jpeg

It’s the wide “extra cooling” model so the hole is fairly off set.
The water pump (which carries the fan) is centered above the crankshaft, and the radiator is centered on the frame. But the engine (crankshaft) is always offset to the passenger side an inch or 2, so the fan is always offset in the shroud.

Did they lay them in the snow? :nabble_smiley_sad:

Anyway, I'll be they are pretty. As for the shroud, I don't know how big of a deal it is that the shroud fits the fan closely. But, you could always find the fan blade to fit whatever shroud you find.

No they did not lay them in the snow, it was all gone by the time they got to me.

What I meant was when we get any snow even an inch the state shuts down.

Where the FedEx depot is they got up to 8"+ inches. Driver said they did not go out for 2 days because drivers were getting stuck so was better to not go out.

I measured the 4 blade fan last night and got 18.5" so that is what the parts book said it should be so that's a good start.

I am waiting on the 2 shrouds to show up so I can see what I have to work with.

Dave ----

Hi Dave, remind me... was your brother able to source AC brackets for you? I was looking at your engine pic and it looks like you are running a Saginaw? Not sure if that PS pump bracket jives with the 83+ AC stuff. I also noticed that you have the tiny little weird I6 power steering fluid cooler loop. My ‘81 has that and the fluid smelled really burnt. If you have the opportunity I would suggest grabbing the longer type from V8 or heavier duty truck.

62A8B537-7032-4D22-B1E5-6139201DD406.jpeg

D0CBDD4C-575B-49F4-83D4-BF00C6789EE1.jpeg

I don’t know if this helps at all, but I found a pic of the shroud mounted to the radiator out of my ‘82 donor. It’s the wide “extra cooling” model so the hole is fairly off set. The junkyards in Flagstaff and Prescott charge I think $15 for fan shrouds, but shipping it to you would cost more than the part. I don’t go as often as I used to but I can look next time I am able to go, if you would like. My ‘81 had the narrower shroud for the standard radiator and it was thrashed so I discarded it.

9BF07EBA-772B-46A5-8F7D-8C3ECE83B569.jpeg

Brother has not come up with any AC brackets but I also have not asked him in a year. He will be here for Xmas so I will put a little bug in his ear to see if he can come up with something.

As for fitting I think the main bracket that bolts to the block with the PS bracket uses spacers between them. The only thing I am not sure is front / back spacing for belt line up but I am sure I can work that out.

I also have the other style pump but this set up was on the truck, I knew it worked and why I went with it.

As for the "cooler" the fluid looked good but I also don't know how long the truck ran at any time as it was only used in the small yard.

Now between the 2 trucks only 1 had the cooler and now after the above I cant remember if the cooler was on this truck or the parts truck? I just felt it was best to use it over nothing.

Now as for the bigger cooler you said was from a v8 was that also a 4x4 truck? I have seen 4x4 truck have HD parts that could be used on the 4x2 trucks. I will look for the larger cooler if I ever get to a JY and that is the problem as I don't have the time when they are open to go.

Also I have not seen our year trucks in JY's when looking on line and the parts trucks on CL the wife would kill me if I got another one.

Pictures always help. I have 2 newer truck shrouds coming. Yes 2 as they were $15.50 each and thinking I can cut and glue them to make work.

The only thing I saw on the review was they were thin and flexed so thinking they would need a little work anyway.

I also have a shroud from something that was in the bed of the parts truck I can use for "parts" if need be.

Stay tune

Dave ----

The water pump (which carries the fan) is centered above the crankshaft, and the radiator is centered on the frame. But the engine (crankshaft) is always offset to the passenger side an inch or 2, so the fan is always offset in the shroud.

Steve, they do make 2 different radiators, 1 is wider, as they also do on the radiator support opening that is bigger.

I do know the support & radiator is the wide ones so the shrouds will have to be made to match.

I just don't know how much work it will take to "make it work".

I think the new shrouds are an inch shorter top / bottom based on information I have found but we will see when I get them.

Thanks for the offer of looking for one and may take you up on that if this does not work out.

Dave ----

Steve, they do make 2 different radiators, 1 is wider, as they also do on the radiator support opening that is bigger.

I do know the support & radiator is the wide ones so the shrouds will have to be made to match.

I just don't know how much work it will take to "make it work".

I think the new shrouds are an inch shorter top / bottom based on information I have found but we will see when I get them.

Thanks for the offer of looking for one and may take you up on that if this does not work out.

Dave ----

So even if I have not done any work on the truck I have been thinking of things I would like to do.

One is to add driving lights to the front bumper. No not bolted to the top or bottom but in the bumper.

So last night I pulled the 2 bumpers in off the to keep pile to give them a look over.

They are both bent and they are a little stronger than I thought and because of that I gave up on 1.

The other I was able to get back into shape. It is not perfect but for what I want to do with the bumper, lights, I think it will be good and never be seen.

When I get into this custom bumper I will take pictures along the way but need to come up with the lights so I know where to place the holes.

Dave ----

62A8B537-7032-4D22-B1E5-6139201DD406.jpeg

D0CBDD4C-575B-49F4-83D4-BF00C6789EE1.jpeg

9BF07EBA-772B-46A5-8F7D-8C3ECE83B569.jpeg

Brother has not come up with any AC brackets but I also have not asked him in a year. He will be here for Xmas so I will put a little bug in his ear to see if he can come up with something.

As for fitting I think the main bracket that bolts to the block with the PS bracket uses spacers between them. The only thing I am not sure is front / back spacing for belt line up but I am sure I can work that out.

I also have the other style pump but this set up was on the truck, I knew it worked and why I went with it.

As for the "cooler" the fluid looked good but I also don't know how long the truck ran at any time as it was only used in the small yard.

Now between the 2 trucks only 1 had the cooler and now after the above I cant remember if the cooler was on this truck or the parts truck? I just felt it was best to use it over nothing.

Now as for the bigger cooler you said was from a v8 was that also a 4x4 truck? I have seen 4x4 truck have HD parts that could be used on the 4x2 trucks. I will look for the larger cooler if I ever get to a JY and that is the problem as I don't have the time when they are open to go.

Also I have not seen our year trucks in JY's when looking on line and the parts trucks on CL the wife would kill me if I got another one.

Pictures always help. I have 2 newer truck shrouds coming. Yes 2 as they were $15.50 each and thinking I can cut and glue them to make work.

The only thing I saw on the review was they were thin and flexed so thinking they would need a little work anyway.

I also have a shroud from something that was in the bed of the parts truck I can use for "parts" if need be.

Stay tune

Dave ----

Dave, I have sent you an email regarding AC brackets. 🙂 If you think of it, maybe take some closer pictures of your existing power steering pump bracketry.

On the cooler lines, I believe it was just the early year light-duty straight six trucks that got the tiny loop. All other trucks that I’ve seen got the longer loop. There are also various types of finned and clustered copper tube aftermarket coolers available.

Dave, I have sent you an email regarding AC brackets. 🙂 If you think of it, maybe take some closer pictures of your existing power steering pump bracketry.

On the cooler lines, I believe it was just the early year light-duty straight six trucks that got the tiny loop. All other trucks that I’ve seen got the longer loop. There are also various types of finned and clustered copper tube aftermarket coolers available.

Jonathan, I got your email thanks.

I will get the pictures of what I have on the truck now.

I also have the other type PS pump from I think the parts truck. It's been so long I an beginning to forget what came with what truck and what I used on the flare side.

I think for now that cooler will be ok. I think it came on the parts truck and the flare had none when I got it. If I ever get to a JY I will look to see if I can get the larger one or when I get the truck on the road and if I find the PS fluid turning brown I will look into an aftermarket cooler.

Thanks again and take care of the family

Dave ----