Bullnose Forums

81 F100 flare side custom with 300 six & T18

FuzzFace2

Dave - Good start on documenting things. You are really getting close, and I'm jealous. So many issues to deal with, but you certainly have and are making really good progress. :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks

I do want to point out this was started Dec of 2015 till now and if my work hours and weather (not so hot) were better it would most likely be in paint.

I know I have documented it on the other site but we have users here that are not over there and can see how I have "over come" things on my project that may help others.

It can also give a kick that someone needs to start / finish their project.

How about that metal flare side floor? No need to scrap a good style side floor when it can be recycled and used on the flare side. Same for the rear fuel tank recycled to be used on the flare side.

And the thing I like is unless you know the trucks it all looks factory stock.

Just like members have helped me on getting parts I needed I have helped others with parts I was not going to use.

Off the top of my head, style side tail lights, 1 of the radiators that would not fit my truck and the parts truck frame went to someone up north that had a truck with a rotted frame.

His turned into a frame off rebuild with the good frame from me.

Dave ----

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave - Good start on documenting things. You are really getting close, and I'm jealous. So many issues to deal with, but you certainly have and are making really good progress. :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks

I do want to point out this was started Dec of 2015 till now and if my work hours and weather (not so hot) were better it would most likely be in paint.

I know I have documented it on the other site but we have users here that are not over there and can see how I have "over come" things on my project that may help others.

How about that metal flare side floor? No need to scrap a good style side floor when it can be recycled and used on the flare side. Same for the rear fuel tank recycled to be used on the flare side.

Just like members have helped me on getting parts I needed I have helped others with parts I was not going to use.

Off the top of my head, style side tail lights, 1 of the radiators that would not fit my truck and the parts truck frame went to someone up north that had a truck with a rotted frame.

Dave ----

Wow... Makes me wish I knew more about fiberglassing.

I'm curious why you didn't just cut the recirculate hole in the firewall. Was there some other difference I missed in your pics?

And did you ever measure the smaller lug pattern? I thought they were all 5 on 5.5" - is it 5 on 4.5"?

Thanks

Dave ----

Looks great for sure. On the dash patch, I hope your glue holds up. I weld plastic pieces because this is a thermoplastic and it can melt. I find most times the gluing doesn't hold up. Did you use a plastic epoxy?

I'm curious why you didn't just cut the recirculate hole in the firewall. Was there some other difference I missed in your pics?

And did you ever measure the smaller lug pattern? I thought they were all 5 on 5.5" - is it 5 on 4.5"?

You can see here (Driveline/Wheels) that in '82 they offered an F100 with 5 x 4.5" wheels. And, if I remember correctly, the power braked F100's had the 4 1/2" spacing and the manual had the 5 1/2". It is counterintuitive, but I'm pretty sure that's correct.

Hey Dave! Thanks for documenting your build in this thread. This one is epic! I’ve said it before, but I will say it again... you do really nice work and your project is inspiring. Keep up the good work 🙂

Thanks I do hope it does "inspire" others I know some of the other members projects inspire me.

Dave ----

Fiber glass is not hard to do. Directions are on the can add a little cloth when needed and finish like you would body filler.

Not all the holes line up so I would of needed to make new ones and fill others and that is just not me.

If any one was to pull the HVAC box out you would never know the truck was never a factory AC truck

Here you can see the AC wall over the non-AC wall.

20160327_142322.jpg.c7196c53b652e7b9994f7a684ec84538.jpg

See Gary's post above on the wheel bolt pattern

Dave ----

Looks great for sure. On the dash patch, I hope your glue holds up. I weld plastic pieces because this is a thermoplastic and it can melt. I find most times the gluing doesn't hold up. Did you use a plastic epoxy?

I used fiber glass rosin to "glue" it in. I sanded around the glue edges to give it some tooth to bite in and should never come apart.

I do have plastic repair kit called Plastex (site was down so no link) thatI have used on another project to repair (make a new) lip for a dash bezel.

I just did not think the kit was the way to go with the dash repair and why I went with fiber glass.

Dave ----