Bullnose Forums

81 F100 flare side custom with 300 six & T18

FuzzFace2

We have success, AC condenser & fan shroud!

1981 F100 w/4.9 300 six and factory AC.

Parts used:

Rock Auto

Radiator SPECTRA PREMIUM CU558 27-1/2" Core Length w/ Air Conditioning or Heavy Duty Cooling

AC condenser APDI/PRO 7013605 With Factory AC

NPD

Radiator Shroud Fan Shroud Repro F5TZ-8146-C #F-8146-18 FOR 1995-1996 Ford Truck

So I first tried the new shroud on the truck with the old radiator and for the most part it looked like it would work as the fan opening and mounting tabs were in the right places but.....

I then pulled the old radiator and tried the shroud on it to see how it would mount and found the shroud did not fit close to the core.

20181221_130343.jpg.c70d5e32385313a2ba016464c1b55700.jpg

20181221_130444.jpg.132c28c3650b1c53bb5f693df47cb4eb.jpg

Then tried it on the new radiator with the same results.

20181221_144113.jpg.f1a2c49a1a39b13a1a2962711cd011be.jpg

My brother that was helping said to trim the lip on either side of the shroud so it would fit past the tanks on the sides.

Well that was the ticket as it now sit close to the core and was then able to use all the stock factory mounting points. Sorry I did not get a picture of this not in the truck.

Here it is installed, I had to tweak the upper radiator mounts a little as the tanks were a little wider but the bottom mounts fit fine.

20181221_163816.jpg.6f3f0fc0083b9ab8e7b2835e90ad5476.jpg

Now before doing the radiator & shroud I installed the AC condenser.

After reading many posts on the new ones not fitting and trying to get a Ford factory one was even harder I sucked it up and got what I could.

The 2 posts I seen on making it fit was to re-bend the mounting brackets or space it out at the bottom to clear the radiator support.

I went the easy way, space the bottom out. I also had to space the center grille support out a little to clear it but all looks good.

I still need to get longer bolts yet but it should work just fine.

20181221_163911.jpg.362b13af300e8ee223b3e3de1f6456b7.jpg

20181221_163849.jpg.4e15a43ce01883484d57a1dc323dd8d2.jpg

I did the paper pull test on the condenser at idle and it held tight and you can feel the air flow.

If I find air is not being pulled thru the condenser I will use foam pipe insulation to fill the gap as needed.

Dave ----

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have success, AC condenser & fan shroud!

1981 F100 w/4.9 300 six and factory AC.

Parts used:

Rock Auto

Radiator SPECTRA PREMIUM CU558 27-1/2" Core Length w/ Air Conditioning or Heavy Duty Cooling

AC condenser APDI/PRO 7013605 With Factory AC

NPD

Radiator Shroud Fan Shroud Repro F5TZ-8146-C #F-8146-18 FOR 1995-1996 Ford Truck

So I first tried the new shroud on the truck with the old radiator and for the most part it looked like it would work as the fan opening and mounting tabs were in the right places but.....

I then pulled the old radiator and tried the shroud on it to see how it would mount and found the shroud did not fit close to the core.

My brother that was helping said to trim the lip on either side of the shroud so it would fit past the tanks on the sides.

Well that was the ticket as it now sit close to the core and was then able to use all the stock factory mounting points. Sorry I did not get a picture of this not in the truck.

Here it is installed, I had to tweak the upper radiator mounts a little as the tanks were a little wider but the bottom mounts fit fine.

Now before doing the radiator & shroud I installed the AC condenser.

After reading many posts on the new ones not fitting and trying to get a Ford factory one was even harder I sucked it up and got what I could.

The 2 posts I seen on making it fit was to re-bend the mounting brackets or space it out at the bottom to clear the radiator support.

I went the easy way, space the bottom out. I also had to space the center grille support out a little to clear it but all looks good.

I still need to get longer bolts yet but it should work just fine.

I did the paper pull test on the condenser at idle and it held tight and you can feel the air flow.

If I find air is not being pulled thru the condenser I will use foam pipe insulation to fill the gap as needed.

Dave ----

That's great!

That's great!

Yes it is.

I was surprised how well the shroud fit after we trimmed the lip on both side, like it was made for it.

I was also worried that the shroud would be to thin and flex. One of the reviews said just that and when running the fan sucked it in and ate it. This was not the case with the 1 I used as I did not open the other box. For the $15.50 I paid it would be more to return it so I will hold on to it for now.

Now I get thinking this was for the wide radiator used with AC and think supper cooling.

I wonder if the other shroud listed for the same year trucks 95/ non-AC would fit the smaller non-AC radiator for guys wanting to run a shroud on them?

That would be something for "them" to check on as I don't have any of the small stuff to get measurements from.

Dave ----

...the shroud did not fit close to the core.

That shroud is made for a factory 2-core (as thick as the tanks) radiator. You can imagine that, if the core was 2x as thick, the shroud would be perfect.

That shroud is made for a factory 2-core (as thick as the tanks) radiator. You can imagine that, if the core was 2x as thick, the shroud would be perfect.

That shroud is made for 1995-1996 Trucks not an 81 Ford truck so the radiator is totally different for the 1995-1996 Trucks .

The early trucks did not have a 2 core radiator they just made it wider and the support for the AC & supper cooling trucks. This core is 27" the other I think is 24" and mounts top & bottom the 1995-1996 Trucks mount side to side.

Dave ----

That shroud is made for 1995-1996 Trucks not an 81 Ford truck so the radiator is totally different for the 1995-1996 Trucks .

The early trucks did not have a 2 core radiator they just made it wider and the support for the AC & supper cooling trucks. This core is 27" the other I think is 24" and mounts top & bottom the 1995-1996 Trucks mount side to side.

Dave ----

Drained the water from the cooling system and flushed the system as it had a little rust and refilled with anti-freeze with hope it will stop the rusting.

I picked up longer bolts for the bottom of the condenser & center brace of the grille mount as the factory ones were to short after I had to use spacers to fit the condenser in.

Went looking for driving lights to fit the front bumper but did not find anything I liked or in the size I need. Going to try some places after the holiday.

Also hope my brother put the last bit of body filler on the hood so it can setup a few days before I sand it down.

In prepping for the hood sanding my shop air had a leaking PSI regulator so I had to run a bypass pipe and the system is up and running as it should.

Dave ----

...the radiator is totally different for the 1995-1996 Trucks .
The tanks are plastic with integral mounts, but the radiator (core) is essentially the same size & shape.
The early trucks did not have a 2 core radiator...
I'm pretty sure mine did originally, and I think that's what the last brass replacement was, but I'll try to remember to check it next time I'm rummaging through the junkpile.
...mounts top & bottom...
Right - all brass radiators mount that way in these trucks (up to '84, IIRC).
Went looking for driving lights to fit the front bumper but did not find anything I liked or in the size I need.
I really like these 5- or 6-element LEDs for everything:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/925116/thumbnail/slimled.jpg

They look slightly obtrusive there, but they're actually hard to notice on a dark-colored truck IRL. They only stand out in this pic because you're looking for them:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1030715/thumbnail/9328paint10.jpg

They tolerate a WIDE voltage range (8-30VDC IIRC); their cast Aluminum housings are VERY robust & durable; they aren't actually sealed around the lens, but it's easy to do with a small tube of E6000; and they're BRIGHT.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/925588/thumbnail/slimlfd.jpg

...the radiator is totally different for the 1995-1996 Trucks .
The tanks are plastic with integral mounts, but the radiator (core) is essentially the same size & shape.
The early trucks did not have a 2 core radiator...
I'm pretty sure mine did originally, and I think that's what the last brass replacement was, but I'll try to remember to check it next time I'm rummaging through the junkpile.
...mounts top & bottom...
Right - all brass radiators mount that way in these trucks (up to '84, IIRC).
Went looking for driving lights to fit the front bumper but did not find anything I liked or in the size I need.
I really like these 5- or 6-element LEDs for everything:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/925116/thumbnail/slimled.jpg

They look slightly obtrusive there, but they're actually hard to notice on a dark-colored truck IRL. They only stand out in this pic because you're looking for them:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/1030715/thumbnail/9328paint10.jpg

They tolerate a WIDE voltage range (8-30VDC IIRC); their cast Aluminum housings are VERY robust & durable; they aren't actually sealed around the lens, but it's easy to do with a small tube of E6000; and they're BRIGHT.

https://supermotors.net/getfile/925588/thumbnail/slimlfd.jpg

I like how the new replacement radiator, plastic side tanks & Alum. core, and the shroud fit together with just the trimming of the lips (1/8" maybe each side).

As for the LED light I want a driving / spot light.

Work & flood lights do not put the light down the road, more on the sides, so you are always over driving the work / flood lights.

Most of my driving is to / from work in the dark when there are not a lot of other drivers.

The light cant be higher than about 3" to fit in between the curves of the bumper as I want to mount them IN the bumper, not under or over.

Also would like them to be square to match the square head lights. The "bar" type LED lights would not look right and the ones I seen on trucks & cars are more flood / work lights not driving.

If I have to I would go with a round light but it is not the look I am going for.

I have time before I need to mount the bumper to look for the right lights.

Dave ----

I like how the new replacement radiator, plastic side tanks & Alum. core, and the shroud fit together with just the trimming of the lips (1/8" maybe each side).

As for the LED light I want a driving / spot light.

Work & flood lights do not put the light down the road, more on the sides, so you are always over driving the work / flood lights.

Most of my driving is to / from work in the dark when there are not a lot of other drivers.

The light cant be higher than about 3" to fit in between the curves of the bumper as I want to mount them IN the bumper, not under or over.

Also would like them to be square to match the square head lights. The "bar" type LED lights would not look right and the ones I seen on trucks & cars are more flood / work lights not driving.

If I have to I would go with a round light but it is not the look I am going for.

I have time before I need to mount the bumper to look for the right lights.

Dave ----

I've been eyeing this light mount. And round lights. Didn't think of square to match, good thought.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B073V2NDQY/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_6?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I've been eyeing this light mount. And round lights. Didn't think of square to match, good thought.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B073V2NDQY/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_6?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I like a round lights as that's what we had back in the day. But, I can see rectangular lights to match the headlights and turn signals.

And that mount is interesting. I'm curious to see how it fits.