Bullnose Forums

Build update 2

Rag joints up through '86 are the larger ones that bolt together.

As Cory said my '87 up to '92 is smaller diameter and riveted together. (not serviceable)

But I drilled them out and put it back together with elevator bolts and low profile distorted lock nuts.

That worked for another 15 years.

But he has the flange from each end!....

Any decent fab/weld shop can do what I did.

Right. He could have one made using the fittings off the shaft he has.

And the point I was trying to make, but didn’t, is that the removable rag joint is a different diameter to the non-removable one. So you can’t easily order a new removable one and use the rag out of it to replace the rag on the fixed-joint shafts.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the point I was trying to make, but didn’t, is that the removable rag joint is a different diameter to the non-removable one. So you can’t easily order a new removable one and use the rag out of it to replace the rag on the fixed-joint shafts.

I measure the newer rag joint at 2 3/4" and the larger one at 3 1/8". So the holes won't be at the right place.

And, btw, the 2 3/4" measurement appears to be the same for the later E8 shaft's rag joint. But instead of what looks like a tire's sidewall the E8 joint is solid rubber, or a rubbery material.

Remember that the rag joint isn't removable in the later shafts, which yours should be. The joint in your screenshot is for the early 1980-81 shafts that have removable rag joints.

That's odd. O'Reilly list it as for the later models. I have seen errors in the parts system before though.

Y'all are getting way over my head now. Speak slowly please.:nabble_smiley_teeth:

Rag joints up through '86 are the larger ones that bolt together.

As Cory said my '87 up to '92 is smaller diameter and riveted together. (not serviceable)

But I drilled them out and put it back together with elevator bolts and low profile distorted lock nuts.

That worked for another 15 years.

But he has the flange from each end!....

Any decent fab/weld shop can do what I did.

Jim, are you referring to having a fab shop make me a shaft like yours? I'm getting kinda lost here.:nabble_anim_crazy:

That's odd. O'Reilly list it as for the later models. I have seen errors in the parts system before though.

It's listed as fitting '86. So therefore it's 3 1/8" diameter and is held with bolts, like the picture.

Gary showed the '81-86 style next to the '87-91 style and a '92-96 style shaft.

Y'all are getting way over my head now. Speak slowly please.:nabble_smiley_teeth:

Jim was saying that if you were to order the new shaft for a 2009 F150 you could cut the fittings off of your Bullnose shaft and have a welding shop graft them onto the new shaft.

I was saying that the detachable rag joint in your screenshot isn't going to help you for two reasons:

1. The rag joint on your shaft shouldn't be detachable since it is on an '86

2. The detachable rag joint is larger in diameter than yours so won't be easy to use on yours. In the pic below I've put one of the larger/earlier rag joint shafts end-to-end with the smaller one used on the Bullnose trucks. And below them is the E8 shaft used on Bricknose trucks - the same diameter as the later Bullnose rag joints.

Rag_Joint_Comparo.thumb.jpg.ff3ada3f49a9e45d4b8ec554cb157536.jpg