Bullnose Forums

Build update 2

I was saying that the detachable rag joint in your screenshot isn't going to help you for two reasons:....

Let's,at least, post the picture in the thread. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Here are pics from the Rock Auto catalog showing the Dorman 31008 rag joint - for a 1990 F150.

The first is a screen grab of the options for a steering coupler, and that includes the Lares 206 kit of parts, their 204 that is most of the rag joint, and then the Dorman 31008, and pics of the latter are below the screen grab.

But the Lares 206 says it is for a 2 5/8" coupler and the 204 says it is for a 3 1/4" coupler. That is very confusing as I measure the new coupler I have at roughly the 2 5/8 #. So were some larger? :nabble_anim_confused:

Steering_Coupler_For_1990_F150.jpg.34258a3bfe6030072a1c3e347e9b1d81.jpg

31008-007.thumb.jpg.366a67af5b6babdce278532d220efba8.jpg31008-003.thumb.jpg.dafd952eef163ba13dc1f362057062e0.jpg

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are pics from the Rock Auto catalog showing the Dorman 31008 rag joint - for a 1990 F150.

The first is a screen grab of the options for a steering coupler, and that includes the Lares 206 kit of parts, their 204 that is most of the rag joint, and then the Dorman 31008, and pics of the latter are below the screen grab.

But the Lares 206 says it is for a 2 5/8" coupler and the 204 says it is for a 3 1/4" coupler. That is very confusing as I measure the new coupler I have at roughly the 2 5/8 #. So were some larger? :nabble_anim_confused:

'80-86 3.25"

'87-96 ('97 for 250-350) 2.625"

'80-86 3.25"

'87-96 ('97 for 250-350) 2.625"

I'm not disagreeing, but where did you find that, Jim?

It agrees with the E8 I have on the bench that came off Huck, the 1990 F250, which is shown at the bottom of this pic. But it doesn't agree with the one I took off the '85 I parted out that has a 2 5/8" rag joint riveted on, meaning it probably hasn't been repaired. It is the middle one of these: :nabble_anim_crazy:

Bricknose__Bullnose_Lower_Steering_Shafts.thumb.jpg.b17b39b5557ac8d88b51780e6ff1678f.jpg

It agrees with the E8 I have on the bench that came off Huck, the 1990 F250, which is shown at the bottom of this pic. But it doesn't agree with the one I took off the '85 I parted out that has a 2 5/8" rag joint riveted on, meaning it probably hasn't been repaired. It is the middle one of these: :nabble_anim_crazy:

Is the one from the '85 stamped E2TZ???

Perhaps somewhere along the way the '85 shaft got replaced?

You look at the star in the parts listing and know that the '88 part was all that was offered.

Is the one from the '85 stamped E2TZ???

Perhaps somewhere along the way the '85 shaft got replaced?

You look at the star in the parts listing and know that the '88 part was all that was offered.

I can't find any numbers that make any sense at all on any of them. But I'm fairly sure the one w/o the other side of the rag joint, the bit I sent you, is the one from Dad's truck. The Bullnose one with the smaller rag joint is the one from the '85 F150 I parted out, and the E8 is from Huck.

The only other truck I've parted out was Brownie, the '82. So it is possible that I'm confused as to which was from Dad's truck (81), Brownie (82), and the blue '85. But I don't have any more lower shafts, and I'm sure the E8 came from Huck. So the other two have to be from Bullnose trucks.

I can't find any numbers that make any sense at all on any of them. But I'm fairly sure the one w/o the other side of the rag joint, the bit I sent you, is the one from Dad's truck. The Bullnose one with the smaller rag joint is the one from the '85 F150 I parted out, and the E8 is from Huck.

The only other truck I've parted out was Brownie, the '82. So it is possible that I'm confused as to which was from Dad's truck (81), Brownie (82), and the blue '85. But I don't have any more lower shafts, and I'm sure the E8 came from Huck. So the other two have to be from Bullnose trucks.

Gary, while working on Big Brother, I replaced the steering column.

Big Bro was equipped with #2 (no tilt steering), every parts so loose that I looked like rolling pizza dough while driving.

I was lucky and found #3 NOS on eBay, really not expansive (paid under 100$). Bran new, still in its original Ford box.

Reading at this post, do I understand that I installed a Bricknose lower column?

Bricknose__Bullnose_Lower_Steering_Shafts.jpg.ca97ac0f2b2f9ada6a87b2b906934f56.jpg

Gary, while working on Big Brother, I replaced the steering column.

Big Bro was equipped with #2 (no tilt steering), every parts so loose that I looked like rolling pizza dough while driving.

I was lucky and found #3 NOS on eBay, really not expansive (paid under 100$). Bran new, still in its original Ford box.

Reading at this post, do I understand that I installed a Bricknose lower column?

Jeff - Yes, that's an E8 part number and came out for the Bricknose trucks. It is much improved over the Bullnose lower columns for two reasons. First, the upper u-joint is sealed and doesn't need the boot - that always fails. Second, the "rag" part of the joint is improved and appears to last longer.

The rag joint actually performs a vibration reduction function. In fact, Borgeson has introduced a version of their shaft that has that function built in. But at $313 vs $273 for the one w/o it I'm not sure it is worth it. I have the less expensive version and have no complaints.

In my parts system at work, Dorman 31008 has a tag on it listing it as a replacement for e8tz-3b676-a.

Hey Gary, how much do you want for Huck's steering shaft? Looks mighty clean.:nabble_smiley_happy:

Hey Gary, how much do you want for Huck's steering shaft? Looks mighty clean.:nabble_smiley_happy:

Sorry, but Huck's steering shaft is going in 'Lil Blue, my SiL's 83.

As for Dorman 31008 replacing E8TZ 3B676-A, not a chance. The Dorman unit is to rebuild the rag joint on a steering shaft, and an E8TZ 3B676-A is a complete steering shaft. And I'm not even sure the Dorman unit is the right diameter to rebuilt the rag joint on that shaft.