Bullnose Forums

Build update 2

Looked at the bearing on the column, and it appears to be fine. I'm considering just replacing that boot and being done with it, I've looked at the shaft and I can't see any obvious issues. This stuff is getting expensive. If I do anything it will be the gearbox. It's the most expensive item, but also the only one that can potentially leave me on the side of the road. Anyone know a source for that boot?

Pretty sure that boot is not available separately.

Don't know that the steering box is likely to leave you stranded unless the seal fails catastrophically and you loose all the fluid. But I've not seen that happen.

Still, I think you'll really like the difference with a new BT box. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Don't know that the steering box is likely to leave you stranded unless the seal fails catastrophically and you loose all the fluid. But I've not seen that happen.

Still, I think you'll really like the difference with a new BT box. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Well that's great. Guess I might have to look for another shaft.

Well, I got a 88-91 steering shaft. Didn't look at it closely enough though. The u joint at the top is missing a cap. I'm not finding any replacement for it. Hopefully thats not a non-serviceable part.

Well, I got a 88-91 steering shaft. Didn't look at it closely enough though. The u joint at the top is missing a cap. I'm not finding any replacement for it. Hopefully thats not a non-serviceable part.

A cap as in something protective, or something needed? I don't think it is replaceable.

A cap as in something protective, or something needed? I don't think it is replaceable.

E8TZ 3B676-A. is sold as a complete assembly from the steering box pinch spline to the double-D socket for the upper shaft.

Even the rag joint is riveted together.

The only things it doesn't include are the bolt & nut that hold it at each end.

Perhaps someone in the aftermarket, 30 years ago, made a part or kit to service the universal joint alone (like Dorman/HELP used to do with the complete rag joint on the other end) but IIRC the universal is staked in place.

You can see it in the illustration Gary posted in the lower steering shaft page

lower-shaft-illustration-edited-again.jpg.1fcdaf86ae30cd64cd8594c560984015.jpg

E8TZ 3B676-A. is sold as a complete assembly from the steering box pinch spline to the double-D socket for the upper shaft.

Perhaps someone in the aftermarket, 30 years ago, made a part or kit to service the universal joint alone (like Dorman/HELP used to do with the complete rag joint on the other end) but IIRC the universal is staked in place.

Looks staked to me.

Bricknose_Lower_Steering_Shaft_U-Joint.jpg.e2fc45d537b9e9622910751e5729ee5b.jpg

Screenshot_20231117-085828_DuckDuckGo.thumb.jpg.6e11808cde88d8416ba0b3b924d5b29d.jpg

To bad it's $63.99.

Remember that the rag joint isn't removable in the later shafts, which yours should be. The joint in your screenshot is for the early 1980-81 shafts that have removable rag joints.

Rag joints up through '86 are the larger ones that bolt together.

As Cory said my '87 up to '92 is smaller diameter and riveted together. (not serviceable)

But I drilled them out and put it back together with elevator bolts and low profile distorted lock nuts.

That worked for another 15 years.

But he has the flange from each end!....

Any decent fab/weld shop can do what I did.