Bullnose Forums

power steering belt keeps breaking

dmsmith9

Hi,

I have had 3 power steering belts break on me in the last 150 miles or so. I have heard that the pulleys might be misaligned but they seem to be pretty inline. Do you all have any ideas on what this might be or steps I should take? Maybe get a new pump and see I that fixes the issue?

thanks,

dallas

I would definitely check the pulleys for any sharp edges and spin the power steering pump without the belt on, to see if there's any play or tight spots.

Does your pump only have a single belt?

Does it share the belt with the air conditioning compressor?

It's a single belt. I will give it a look over.

It's a single belt. I will give it a look over.

To see if the pulleys are in line with each other use a straight edge but they can be hard to get into the area to check so you can use a string.

Make sure it is long enough to reach the outer edge of each pulley.

Hold the string to the outer side of 1 pulley and run it across the face of that pulley to the next one doing the same, across the face to the outter side of the pulley.

The string should hit the face of both pulleys at the same time.

Sometimes you will find the pulley is cocked so it may hit 1 side of the face and be flat across the next pulley.

Or it could be flat on both but set back or forward from each other, if that makes sense?

I find string works pretty good for this checking.

But I found a tool that you set in the V groove and it dose the same thing to make sure they are lined up.

I have yet to use it as I fixed the issue I was having before I got it.

I got it thru Hog Slat a store for live stock equipment.

Dave ----

• 2 months later...

To see if the pulleys are in line with each other use a straight edge but they can be hard to get into the area to check so you can use a string.

Make sure it is long enough to reach the outer edge of each pulley.

Hold the string to the outer side of 1 pulley and run it across the face of that pulley to the next one doing the same, across the face to the outter side of the pulley.

The string should hit the face of both pulleys at the same time.

Sometimes you will find the pulley is cocked so it may hit 1 side of the face and be flat across the next pulley.

Or it could be flat on both but set back or forward from each other, if that makes sense?

I find string works pretty good for this checking.

But I found a tool that you set in the V groove and it dose the same thing to make sure they are lined up.

I have yet to use it as I fixed the issue I was having before I got it.

I got it thru Hog Slat a store for live stock equipment.

Dave ----

Would this much of the pulley miss alignment cause it keep throwing /shredding belts?

IMG_2093.jpeg.3e1c6b0fb00873274ef88ee8fec1827d.jpeg

Would this much of the pulley miss alignment cause it keep throwing /shredding belts?

It may just be the camera angle but if it is as bad as it looks on my phone I would definitely say that is a problem.

How deep is the pulley engagement on the pump shaft?

Could you safely move it out 1/4" at a time?

It may just be the camera angle but if it is as bad as it looks on my phone I would definitely say that is a problem.

How deep is the pulley engagement on the pump shaft?

Could you safely move it out 1/4" at a time?

That is a picture of the harmonic balancer. So I would think I would need to push pulley in on the power steering pump shaft some more ( maybe I am just confused). The power steering pulley is on the pump crank shaft pretty tight already. I do think it's the camera angle. I could maybe fit a piece of string between there and I measure it to 1/16th of an inch. Im thinking I might have to do some grinding to bring it back in line. What are your thoughts?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Dallas

That is a picture of the harmonic balancer. So I would think I would need to push pulley in on the power steering pump shaft some more ( maybe I am just confused). The power steering pulley is on the pump crank shaft pretty tight already. I do think it's the camera angle. I could maybe fit a piece of string between there and I measure it to 1/16th of an inch. Im thinking I might have to do some grinding to bring it back in line. What are your thoughts?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Dallas

just how tight are you getting the belt? I would try it a little less and see if the pump starts to make the belt squeal. overtightened belts can do this and also add unnecessary stress to all rotating components. bearings, seals etc.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Dallas

The pulley is pressed on and off the pump's shaft with a special tool.

There is no key or anything keeping it from turning or nut holding it on, so it better be tight.

I think you'd be better off with some kind of straight edge, like a 2' level, to determine if the sheaves are aligned.

The picture looks to me like the power steering pump is setting too far back (but maybe I'm confused?)

You don't want the belt too tight.it will kill the bushing/bearings in the PS pump. Typically 1/2" deflection.

With a straight edge laid over the belt and pulleys push the belt down with your thumb in the middle of the run. Is there enough room to put the tip of your pinky in there?