Bullnose Forums

Engine temperature gauge has no power to sending unit.

CDLong

Temp_gauge_testing.jpg.c97553da73a455ba4a7f3bb3916ea7f1.jpg

Attached is what I found on checking the gauge from my E Books purchase, but I want to check here first before I tear the dash apart. I checked the connector at the sending unit with a 12V test light. I checked the light on the battery before checking the plug at the sending unit. Plug has no power in either wire. The fuel, amp & oil pressure gauges are working as they should so I figure fuse box fuse #11 15A Gauges & Warning Lights is good. I didn't find anything related to this when I searched the forum. ( On the E book purchase, I wouldn't buy it again).

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your EFI engine has both a sender and a sensor. (ECT)

The sensor is two wire and tells the computer to richen the mixture of a cold engine.

The sender is single wire and grounds the gauge with variable resistance so the needle moves.

With a good meter you should see approximately 5.5V pulsing on this wire.

Ground the (#39 R/W) wire and the gauge should full temp (don't do this for long or you will damage the instrument)

You should familiarize yourself with the 1985 EVTM (Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual)

It can be found under Documentation/Electrical/EVTM/1985 EVTM. https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/1985-evtm.html

You can usually find these used on eBay for ~$25 delivered.....

Your EFI engine has both a sender and a sensor. (ECT)

The sensor is two wire and tells the computer to richen the mixture of a cold engine.

The sender is single wire and grounds the gauge with variable resistance so the needle moves.

With a good meter you should see approximately 5.5V pulsing on this wire.

Ground the (#39 R/W) wire and the gauge should full temp (don't do this for long or you will damage the instrument)

You should familiarize yourself with the 1985 EVTM (Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual)

It can be found under Documentation/Electrical/EVTM/1985 EVTM. https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/1985-evtm.html

You can usually find these used on eBay for ~$25 delivered.....

Thank you again. I forgot to check the auto notification box.

• 2 weeks later...

I have power to the sending unit. Now the problem is to id the correct sending unit. Mine has 2 wires but not a 2 wire listed for 1985? NOTE: the clips are broken off my plug. Maybe it's not making ood contact

As Jim said the 2 wire plug you pictured is for the EFI NOT the gauge.

The temp gauge is a single wire 90* rubber push on plug and as a guess is in the intake manifold.

Most of the time to the left (when in drivers seat) front top corner but could be wrong as you have EFI where do they put the temp sender?

Dave ----

The temp gauge is a single wire 90* rubber push on plug and as a guess is in the intake manifold.

Most of the time to the left (when in drivers seat) front top corner but could be wrong as you have EFI where do they put the temp sender?

Dave ----

Thanks Dave. I guess I didn't understand what Jim said. I'll keep searching. I did pull the starter and get the engine serial number. Wanted to make sure one of the PO's didn't do a swap.

Engine_serial_.thumb.jpg.9e4ca9e6de93cd48fa07b2f2f20ac0fb.jpgEngine_serial__2.thumb.jpg.b2ef7fc80d1d97e9c83cb9a83453193f.jpg

Thanks Dave. I guess I didn't understand what Jim said. I'll keep searching. I did pull the starter and get the engine serial number. Wanted to make sure one of the PO's didn't do a swap.

That is not a "serial number". It is a casting number. And all you can tell from it is that it was cast in 1985 given the E5 in the number.

Dave ----

Found the sending unit.

Temp_sending_unit_1.thumb.jpg.b423524d52ca193dc2be987cfa6d2fe4.jpgTemp_sender_2.thumb.jpg.9fbcf7dadb46936c1f63fc8bc6ae55c6.jpg