Bullnose Forums

Hose Clamps

Ok, I need to revive this thread 'cause someone posted "I'll leave a response here as to what I ordered and how all this worked out." And I need to know. :nabble_anim_blbl:

That's 'cause it looks like my power steering system leak is at the tee where the return from the frame-mounted cooler joins with the "used" return from the hydroboost and goes into the Saginaw pump. As you can see below, I used the screw type clamps and it appears that one or more is leaking.

Following up on Bill's recommendation of Belmetric.com I see that their 16mm has a Mfrs Published Crimping Range of 15.7mm - 17.5mm. My hose measures 16.7mm when it is on the barb, so it seems like that 16mm clamp is the right one. Yes?

But are there better tools with which to install them than slip-joint pliers?

I've never used them but have thought about getting them.

https://www.lislecorp.com/specialty-tools/flat-band-hose-clamp-pliers

or,

https://www.lislecorp.com/specialty-tools/17300-flexible-hose-clamp-tool

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting, Dane. I don't think the first ones would get down in that space, although the cable one would.

But looking at the clamps I have I'm wondering about going a different direction. I have the clamps shown below, although they are still not constant tension. So is it the constant tension that is needed? http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/thinking-26_orig.jpg

71CGzd52qL.thumb.jpg.b766c67c82e2086c10ab0174d45372b8.jpg

Interesting, Dane. I don't think the first ones would get down in that space, although the cable one would.

But looking at the clamps I have I'm wondering about going a different direction. I have the clamps shown below, although they are still not constant tension. So is it the constant tension that is needed? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Those are nice looking clamps!

I ended up putting worm gear clamps back on the Xterra when I did the head gaskets for the same reason, lack of room and reach for tools to remove and install the constant tension clamps.

But looking at the clamps I have I'm wondering about going a different direction. I have the clamps shown below, although they are still not constant tension. So is it the constant tension that is needed? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Those are the style I use on the Lebaron fuel lines due to the pressures involved (55 psi static, rising to 70 psi at 15 psi boost).

Those are the style I use on the Lebaron fuel lines due to the pressures involved (55 psi static, rising to 70 psi at 15 psi boost).

I also used those types on my fuel lines. I don't know if they can get loose like worm-drive clamps but you can tighten them down much harder without damaging the hose and they seal evenly.

I've heard constant tension is for reliability during heat cycling causing hose to shrink or expand.

I also have the clamps shown below, which are Oetiker-style clamps and were the only ones that would hold the air hoses on the on-board air system on Big Blue given that the pressure goes to 200 psi. I tried those EFI style clamps shown above, but they just wouldn't hold at that pressure.

But there's no way to get that tool down in there to pinch them. So I think I'll use the EFI clamps.

71ZhApnV7L.thumb.jpg.2185c0f1b23bddac7b6429ba7e49f9b1.jpg

I also have the clamps shown below, which are Oetiker-style clamps and were the only ones that would hold the air hoses on the on-board air system on Big Blue given that the pressure goes to 200 psi. I tried those EFI style clamps shown above, but they just wouldn't hold at that pressure.

But there's no way to get that tool down in there to pinch them. So I think I'll use the EFI clamps.

I never got around to responding to this thread regarding the constant tension hose clamps. Indeed, I ordered them but could not get them on with any available pliers that I have. At least, not the larger clamps for the radiator hoses. Appropriate tool cost $60 and I just could justify the expense. I merely tightened the OEM clamp which seemed to alleviate my leak.

And Gary, as you mentioned, I don't think the constant tension clamps would be right for the higher pressures of your power steering lines. I believe you're on the right path though with what you're looking at.

I never got around to responding to this thread regarding the constant tension hose clamps. Indeed, I ordered them but could not get them on with any available pliers that I have. At least, not the larger clamps for the radiator hoses. Appropriate tool cost $60 and I just could justify the expense. I merely tightened the OEM clamp which seemed to alleviate my leak.

And Gary, as you mentioned, I don't think the constant tension clamps would be right for the higher pressures of your power steering lines. I believe you're on the right path though with what you're looking at.

Thanks, John. Both for the update as well as the support for the direction. :nabble_smiley_good:

• 9 months later...

Just found and read this thread. Very useful stuff!

We replaced our heater core hoses yesterday and one of the crappy worm clamps I bought flattened out when I was tightening it. It didn't look too bad but it leaked. I'm hoping these constant tension clamps will do the trick.

So people are using this style clamp on the radiator hoses as well? I haven't had any issues with the worm clamps there but I have been debating about replacing them with something better anywhere I have them.

Just found and read this thread. Very useful stuff!

We replaced our heater core hoses yesterday and one of the crappy worm clamps I bought flattened out when I was tightening it. It didn't look too bad but it leaked. I'm hoping these constant tension clamps will do the trick.

So people are using this style clamp on the radiator hoses as well? I haven't had any issues with the worm clamps there but I have been debating about replacing them with something better anywhere I have them.

Interesting thread on hose clamps. Y'all are making me feel ashamed of all the worm gear hardware store clamps I have. I usually despise the constant tension clamps on my 2000 F350, but it's mostly due to not having the dedicated pair of pliers for them now that I see that such a thing exists.