Bullnose Forums

L'il Blue '83 F150 4x4

I saw you suggested glue. 💡

Welding rusty sheet metal just makes more holes.

Looks like he'll need that outer floor tip down to the flange, that Tabco doesn't make. (Raybuck is ok, but it's not galvanized or annealed)

Hopefully the seat support Z strips are okay.

Zirconia flap discs are on sale at Horrid Fate.

You'll certainly need a few to get a good bite.

Good point, Jim. I'd not thought about needing flap wheels and the grinder. I'll put one of the grinders in and what wheels I have, although we can get more there. But HF is a long hike from their place on James Island, so we'll probably just hit up the local hardware store.

And since I have two right-angle grinders I'll leave that one with TJ. Back when I was welding a lot I'd run a wire wheel on one and a flap wheel on the other. But I've not done that in years so don't need two of them.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point, Jim. I'd not thought about needing flap wheels and the grinder. I'll put one of the grinders in and what wheels I have, although we can get more there. But HF is a long hike from their place on James Island, so we'll probably just hit up the local hardware store.

And since I have two right-angle grinders I'll leave that one with TJ. Back when I was welding a lot I'd run a wire wheel on one and a flap wheel on the other. But I've not done that in years so don't need two of them.

I have four (plus my cordless one). :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

I suggested to Shaun that he gets a second one for that very reason.

I don't know much about the area, but my sister's headed back down to Charleston today. (I know she's close to a Lowe's)

Still a good deal. Just don't buy the cheap Warrior ones.

I have four (plus my cordless one). :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

I suggested to Shaun that he gets a second one for that very reason.

I don't know much about the area, but my sister's headed back down to Charleston today. (I know she's close to a Lowe's)

Still a good deal. Just don't buy the cheap Warrior ones.

Your sister lives on the north side of Charleston in Goose Creek if I remember correctly. I saw that area when we pulled in last time on I-24 and there is a lot of stuff like Lowes, HF, etc up there. But our kids live south of Charleston on James Island where there's not much of that kind of stuff. But there is a very large Ace Hardware that should have flap wheels if we need more.

As for the number of grinders, I forgot the cordless one. So I have three and certainly don't need that many. Bought the Rigid cordless one to cut the floor pan piece out at the salvage to extend the hump on Dad's truck to clear the transfer case after installing that loooooong E4OD. (Where I learned about gluing floor pans.)

Your sister lives on the north side of Charleston in Goose Creek if I remember correctly. I saw that area when we pulled in last time on I-24 and there is a lot of stuff like Lowes, HF, etc up there. But our kids live south of Charleston on James Island where there's not much of that kind of stuff. But there is a very large Ace Hardware that should have flap wheels if we need more.

As for the number of grinders, I forgot the cordless one. So I have three and certainly don't need that many. Bought the Rigid cordless one to cut the floor pan piece out at the salvage to extend the hump on Dad's truck to clear the transfer case after installing that loooooong E4OD. (Where I learned about gluing floor pans.)

Yes, you're right.

Doesn't your daughter work up that way?

I only know from a map.

But if course I don't think James Island is like that.

There's always Amazon if you don't need it right this minute

I can get stuff in the afternoon, or for $3 I can get it between 4-6 AM since they've opened a new hub near me.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, you're right.

Doesn't your daughter work up that way?

I only know from a map.

But if course I don't think James Island is like that.

There's always Amazon if you don't need it right this minute

I can get stuff in the afternoon, or for $3 I can get it between 4-6 AM since they've opened a new hub near me.

Time for a brief update:

• We have the seat out and the two floor nuts helicoiled, although after the Loctite sets up I need to go under and trim off the excess coil

• The replacement rear window is in. The directions the guy gave on Youtube are great. We only had two issues. First, he specified 3/16" rope and that's what we started with. But by the time we pulled hard on it the diameter was smaller and it was hard on hands. Perhaps something besides a nylon line would be better.

Second, his window didn't have the chrome lock strip, and we spent at least 10x more time getting that in than getting the window in. Don't have any good guidance on that as it was a learning experience that we are still trying to understand. :nabble_anim_confused:

• The old steering box, lower shaft, and lower steering column bearing are out. And the hand-me-down lower steering column bearing from Big Blue did tighten up the steering column when it went in. So this afternoon the later model lower shaft and new Blue Top box go in.

But, we had fits getting the pitman arm off. The bolt for the puller was up against the front diff and didn't allow getting the 3/4" socket on so we could use the impact. We finally jacked the truck up to get the bolt away from the diff and were able to get the job done with a wrench and a cheater, but not without a lot of fiddling.

Time for a brief update:

• We have the seat out and the two floor nuts helicoiled, although after the Loctite sets up I need to go under and trim off the excess coil

• The replacement rear window is in. The directions the guy gave on Youtube are great. We only had two issues. First, he specified 3/16" rope and that's what we started with. But by the time we pulled hard on it the diameter was smaller and it was hard on hands. Perhaps something besides a nylon line would be better.

Second, his window didn't have the chrome lock strip, and we spent at least 10x more time getting that in than getting the window in. Don't have any good guidance on that as it was a learning experience that we are still trying to understand. :nabble_anim_confused:

• The old steering box, lower shaft, and lower steering column bearing are out. And the hand-me-down lower steering column bearing from Big Blue did tighten up the steering column when it went in. So this afternoon the later model lower shaft and new Blue Top box go in.

But, we had fits getting the pitman arm off. The bolt for the puller was up against the front diff and didn't allow getting the 3/4" socket on so we could use the impact. We finally jacked the truck up to get the bolt away from the diff and were able to get the job done with a wrench and a cheater, but not without a lot of fiddling.

Okay

I replied to the AI thread before I read this.

I use the thickest braided pull starter cord I can find (or one ton kevlar braid)

A heat gun works wonders getting the chrome strip to flex.

"Personal lubricant" or silicone gel works way better than GoJoe or dish soap.

There is a tool specifically for installing them.

I use a bookbinders bone burnisher to work the corners because I'm not going to purchase a one time tool.

If you can get the bolt tight SMACK the pitman arm from the side, at the splines, with a 3-4 lb drilling hammer.

It should pop right off.

Time for a brief update:

[...]seat

[...]rear window

[...]two issues

[...]old steering box, lower shaft, and lower steering column

[...]pitman arm off

[...]jacked the truck

[...]not without a lot of fiddling.

Wow.

All that not easy work, while having a cold... And it's a brief update.

Imagine the rest.

Not sure Janey is really happy about you.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Time for a brief update:

[...]seat

[...]rear window

[...]two issues

[...]old steering box, lower shaft, and lower steering column

[...]pitman arm off

[...]jacked the truck

[...]not without a lot of fiddling.

Wow.

All that not easy work, while having a cold... And it's a brief update.

Imagine the rest.

Not sure Janey is really happy about you.

:nabble_smiley_wink:

Jim - Now you tell me, probably again, about using something other than soap and water. It doesn't work well at all. My fingers hurt from all the pushing and prying to get that strip in. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Jeff - Janey isn't mad, just cautioning me to take it easy. But we are making progress. The seat is in and the Blue Top is bolted in but not torqued yet. Need to look up the spec's, but I'm pretty sure the pitman arm nut takes 200 lb-ft, although I don't remember what the frame bolts take.

And the later steering shaft is in, although that took a lot of work as well. Had to spread the upper end a bit to get it to go over the steering column lower shaft, but finally got it on.

Man, I'm learning how easy it is to work on a lift! Miss that thing, for sure. Today we had to jack the truck up to get the pitman arm to align with the output of the box. Tomorrow it goes up on stands to flush out the system and then connect everything up. Hope to drive it tomorrow afternoon. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

Jim - Now you tell me, probably again, about using something other than soap and water. It doesn't work well at all. My fingers hurt from all the pushing and prying to get that strip in. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Jeff - Janey isn't mad, just cautioning me to take it easy. But we are making progress. The seat is in and the Blue Top is bolted in but not torqued yet. Need to look up the spec's, but I'm pretty sure the pitman arm nut takes 200 lb-ft, although I don't remember what the frame bolts take.

And the later steering shaft is in, although that took a lot of work as well. Had to spread the upper end a bit to get it to go over the steering column lower shaft, but finally got it on.

Man, I'm learning how easy it is to work on a lift! Miss that thing, for sure. Today we had to jack the truck up to get the pitman arm to align with the output of the box. Tomorrow it goes up on stands to flush out the system and then connect everything up. Hope to drive it tomorrow afternoon. :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

And for the record, the pitman arm nut is 170 - 230 lb-ft and the frame bolts are 54 - 66 lb-ft.

And for the record, the pitman arm nut is 170 - 230 lb-ft and the frame bolts are 54 - 66 lb-ft.

Yeah, I sem to remember 200 '#

I may be doing that job soon, as my truck decided to lose all its fluid today.

I suspect the input seal.

Of course I can't find my crows foot wrenches.