Bullnose Forums

cab swap or dash replacement

Techguy

Seems like a viable option if you can't get a stock fuse panel that's in good shape.

It has both flashers but I question if it has enough circuits for your truck. (IIRC mine has 18)

And you will have to sort out powers always on and only while running, as well as all the wire colors to join.

This sort of thing usually needs a spreadsheet.

I see there's a used fuse panel with mounting bracket on eBay from a reliable seller (30k items sold, 99.7% positive)

It's item # 134544527192

This is a pigtailed take-off like Mat suggested above.

I can't say how good it is, obviously, but it's a ~$60 option with ~$11 shipping.

It would definitely have all you need and be much easier to install.

would the box from a 1982 f150 non ac work for my truck, i could but it off from the parts truck i have. thoughts?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, I'm not seeing a kit that comes with enough 14-18 gauge butt splices.

(note! these are not the crap red,blue, yellow plastic insulated connectors you're going to find in Home Depot or AutoZone)

And the crimpers I suggest are specifically for heat shrink connectors

Edit in the links... :nabble_smiley_whistling:

TICONN 60PCS Heat Shrink Butt Wire Connector Kit, Insulated Waterproof Electrical Wire Crimp Terminals Butt Splice for Marine Automotive (60PCS) https://a.co/d/irgTnyi

iCrimp Handy Ratchet Wire Crimping Tool, for AWG22-10 Heat Shrink Connectors https://a.co/d/7QP5YtX

cool thanks, ill check those out!

would the box from a 1982 f150 non ac work for my truck, i could but it off from the parts truck i have. thoughts?

What year is your truck?

A/C or no A/C doesn't matter. The fuse panel is the same.

Yes, it should be a viable swap, but that really is the point of no return as far any remaining value in the donor.

I don't know what your situation is with that.

I went back to my post and edited in what I think are the least expensive Prime options.

What year is your truck?

A/C or no A/C doesn't matter. The fuse panel is the same.

Yes, it should be a viable swap, but that really is the point of no return as far any remaining value in the donor.

I don't know what your situation is with that.

I went back to my post and edited in what I think are the least expensive Prime options.

82 is the parts and 85 cab on a 80 frame is the truck, if it can be called that lol. i agree, id rather not ruin a factory harness when i can just buy the box for 60 bucks. thanks ill check that out, i appreciate the help, im feeling alot better now about maybe eventually being able to drive the truck lol. thanks again

82 is the parts and 85 cab on a 80 frame is the truck, if it can be called that lol. i agree, id rather not ruin a factory harness when i can just buy the box for 60 bucks. thanks ill check that out, i appreciate the help, im feeling alot better now about maybe eventually being able to drive the truck lol. thanks again

so before i bought the parts to do the fuse box swap i wanted to make sure it was not just a pulled out wire on hte existing fuse box. last nite when i got home, well its much worse than i had thought, its not that the connection or box slot is broken. about 50% of the wires that should be running into the fuse box dont even exist. what a pos situation. so unfortunately thats a harness swap, or swap the cab off my parts truck. ugh or push it into the river lol. :sigh:

so before i bought the parts to do the fuse box swap i wanted to make sure it was not just a pulled out wire on hte existing fuse box. last nite when i got home, well its much worse than i had thought, its not that the connection or box slot is broken. about 50% of the wires that should be running into the fuse box dont even exist. what a pos situation. so unfortunately thats a harness swap, or swap the cab off my parts truck. ugh or push it into the river lol. :sigh:

It's hard to say what you have going on there.

I know my panel doesn't have any harness connections for things my truck didn't come with (like fuel pumps or A/C)

What are you trying to accomplish?

It's hard to say what you have going on there.

I know my panel doesn't have any harness connections for things my truck didn't come with (like fuel pumps or A/C)

What are you trying to accomplish?

basic running, to title and tag, gonna need dash lights and since the last guy removed the wires for the dash lights...unless i can wire in some other way to get them to work. i like working on her but i dunno why i keep trying to fix this chaos factory

basic running, to title and tag, gonna need dash lights and since the last guy removed the wires for the dash lights...unless i can wire in some other way to get them to work. i like working on her but i dunno why i keep trying to fix this chaos factory

well at this point i need to remove the dash and start cutting wire ties to get a sense of whats not there and what is. will post updates when i have some, ty

well at this point i need to remove the dash and start cutting wire ties to get a sense of whats not there and what is. will post updates when i have some, ty

this is a typically very frustrating way to learn about old trucks of any brand. if this is certainly a project and not a needed truck to survive then great. it give you the opportunity to stop and walk away or step back and study at least. do that whenever you feel the need. not all trucks had the full wiring harness even if they had the same fuse box. track down the bare minimum of needed circuits first and verify the basics and you may find that there are only a few circuits missing. the dash light should come off of the headlight switch so trace that first. don't be fooled by bad bulbs either. in this case do not use led bulbs. it may only frustrate you more. I use them but prove the system first before.

this is a typically very frustrating way to learn about old trucks of any brand. if this is certainly a project and not a needed truck to survive then great. it give you the opportunity to stop and walk away or step back and study at least. do that whenever you feel the need. not all trucks had the full wiring harness even if they had the same fuse box. track down the bare minimum of needed circuits first and verify the basics and you may find that there are only a few circuits missing. the dash light should come off of the headlight switch so trace that first. don't be fooled by bad bulbs either. in this case do not use led bulbs. it may only frustrate you more. I use them but prove the system first before.

sounds like sound advice, ok i wont give up on her yet.