classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

pedal assembly question please! - mechanical to hydraulic

doni10
Hello people,

Am planning on dropping a modern 4cylinder turbo diesel with a 6 speed manual transmission into my truck.
gas is expensive here in the uk : )

It currently has an automatic (c6)and so i'll need a new pedal assembly with a clutch.
The only one i can find however is for a mechanical clutch but my new transmission is hydraulically operated.

after doing some research it seems that the 'pedal arm rod '(piece from which the pedals connect - see red circle) is different in the two assemblies. and that the hydraulic one version is very necessary for correct operation of the pedal?

My question is, (as shipping to the uk is very expensive), If i were to somehow procure just the pedal arm piece rod ( i know its not its actual name!), and obviously the hydraulic piece that attaches to the clutch pedal would i then be good to go?

thanks!
1981 F-250 camper, 4.9l inline 6, RWD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: pedal assembly question please! - mechanical to hydraulic

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's a hard question to answer since I don't want to be wrong and cause you problems getting parts to Ol' Blighty.  So I'll try to answer but refer you to the page at Documentation/Driveline/Clutches And Linkage and then the Clutch Linkage tab and then the Part Numbers tab.

There you'll find that the bracket for a manual transmission was the same from 1980 through '86.

But the brake pedal is different between 1980 - 83 and 1984-86, and I cannot tell you what the difference is.

And the clutch pedal is also different between mechanical and hydraulic systems.

The 'pedal arm rod' is actually generic PN 7506 Shaft (Clutch Pedal).  It shows to be different between 80-84 & 84-86, and the difference is that the 84-86 one is for hydraulic.

So I can't answer definitively that just replacing the shaft will do the job.  My fear is that the shaft won't fit with the clutch pedal.

Maybe someone else can enlighten us?  I'm going to tag Ralph/81-F150-Explorer as he might know.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

NZCOBRA
In reply to this post by doni10
I changed from auto to manual many years ago and swapped in a manual assembly , I am sure there is a difference in the shaft and bush diameter manual being bigger . , fairly sure. Cheers hope this helps .
1986 F150 Lariat Supercab 302 efi , soon to have a 385 ci w , forged crank,king bearings , crower billet rods, Auto tech forged pistons world products Snr heads , Comp retro fit 35-421-8 HR, steel roller lifters , Milodon single idle gear drive , Mallory dual sync dissy ,Motec ECU , Profesional products intake , 75 mm TB , 40lb EV1  , Doug thorly Tri-y long tubes , Block 1974 with 1990 serpentine front drive  and new Motorcraft A/C pump , will put 3G alternator on it , ford racing diff cover and have a new track-loc , to fit .  I have converted it to a 5 speed Tremec TR4250 as the AOD died .
Reply | Threaded
|

doni10
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Hey Gary & NZCobra

Sorry I missed these replies to my question -did'nt come through to my email for some reason.

Thank you so much for all the info! A fountain of knowledge as ever...
Yeah getting the parts over here is a right pain in the a**. What I would do for a few hours alone time with a pick n' pull....... :)

Seems like i might have to bite the (another!) bullet and get an ebay assembly shipped over. (300 bucks by the time it arrives
1981 F-250 camper, 4.9l inline 6, RWD
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's expensive!  But I don't see another way to do it.  Good luck!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI