buzzers - seat belt and headlight diagnoses

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

buzzers - seat belt and headlight diagnoses

delco1946
so i just decided to take my dash apart (its amazing what you can get done when you should be studying). I super ecstatic that my truck has both a headlight buzzer and seatbelt buzzer. However, neither have ever worked in the 2 months that I've had the truck. Its night now, so I've stopped tinkering and am doing research; whats the most common failure with these? do the buzzers themselves fail? Or is it more likely to be the wiring? Any tips? Im tempted to just replace everything i can with new, even if it works, such as dash indicator lights as i don't want take my dash apart in the future. Ill also take apart my duct work and clean it.
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: buzzers - seat belt and headlight diagnoses

Steve83
Banned User
delco1946 wrote
...my truck has both a headlight buzzer and seatbelt buzzer. However, neither have ever worked in the 2 months that I've had the truck. ...whats the most common failure with these?
Owners ripping them out, or their wiring, or the switch in the driver's buckle that triggers the buzzer.
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
I tore out my dash today, all the wiring is there, the buzzers are there, and my glovebox light and courtesy lights all work. They look to share much of the same wiring so....

I inspected the seatbelt latch and i don't see any wires either. Where exactly is the sense located in/on the seatbelt?

Also connected up (or so it looks like) is a light bulb for the ash tray, that doesn't work (filaments are still there). Having so many things out of order suggests in my mind the a common wire or something in the circuit has been disconnected(?). All my fuses appear to be present, too.
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wiring diagrams are here for the seat belt warning: Electrical/EVTM/1981 EVTM/Warning Indicators & Seat Belt Warning.

And here's the diagram for the ash tray light: Electrical/EVTM/1981 EVTM/Instrument Illumination.

As for the seat belt switch, it should be in the driver's buckle with a pair of wires down by where it bolts to the floor.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
thanks Gary. Between this and a trip to the junkyard today (and yard work!) I'm beat. Ill try to figure out whats going on later this week.
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by delco1946
delco1946 wrote
Where exactly is the sense located in/on the seatbelt?
Look at this & the NEXT several pics:

Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
thanks Steve. I was able to find the wire upon closer inspection. It was either cut or broke off right at the buckle. Adding that to my list of things to fix!