(bronze/browny) Paint recommendations please!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

(bronze/browny) Paint recommendations please!

doni10
This post was updated on .
Hello people,

some exciting things going on around here at the moment. Trucks currently in the countryside receiving an extreme makeover, (part of which is a mercedes engine getting dropped in there! pics to follow :) ), another part of which is shes finally getting some paint :)

Im trying to keep it classic, and have been looking at 70's Bronze/brown metallic colours.
Only problem is that looking at them on a screen it's obviously very difficult to get a good feel for them.
Also every time i order a spray can to test one it's 20$ so i want to be a bit selective.

If any of you good people had some recommendations i'd much appreciate it!

These are the kind of things i've been looking at. - The MG A is the ideal colour but it's just a picture and makes no mention of what paint they used.
-i like how where the light hits it, it has highlights without getting too light as to become too orangey.

pontiac 'cinnamon bronze'

dodge dark bronze

this is cool, maybe a bit lighter than what i'm looking for.

Thanks!

1981 F-250 camper, 4.9l inline 6, RWD
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: (bronze/browny) Paint recommendations please!

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!  A Merc engine in a Ford!  Cool.  What engine and what transmission?

As for the colour, I REALLY like the 1970 Dodge Super Bee!  That is a really cool colour.  (And a beautiful car, although it it had been a '69 it would have been even better.  )
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I'll put up some pics of my old 1980 F150. It was "Dark Chamois Metallic". It had some metallic flake in it, so really did shine in the sun. It may be a bit too "orange" for your liking, but figured I would throw it up. I have a ton of pictures of this truck still, so if you are interested in the color, I can see if I have some that are focused on the brown in the sun to show the metallic.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by doni10
I like the Dodge dark bronze also. And I like Shawn's old truck color!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

doni10
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Hi Gary,

Unfortunately, -as cool as it would be-  it's not a screaming V12 :) , instead a 5 cylinder OM602 turbo diesel. (mated to a 722.6 automatic transmission).

The idea is to have something economical and dependable for which i can get spares this side of the pond. Plan to run it a lot on vegetable oil too.

Reply | Threaded
|

doni10
In reply to this post by salans7
Love this colour!
what a sweet looking truck, with the 'wimbledon white' two tone if i'm not mistaken :). - have been looking at a lot of paint colours of late!

and it's not too orange.... incidentally i'm a big fan of orange, just i'd always imagined the decals being orange, so am after some contrast.

thanks for sharing shawn
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This article from Wikipedia says "With some OM602 Powered Mercedes-Benz vehicles exceeding 500,000 or 1,000,000 miles (800,000 or 1,610,000 km),[1] it is considered to be one of the most reliable engines ever produced."  And it looks like the output is from ~90 to 120 HP, depending on which one you get.  That should be quite adequate for what you have.  

And if you go with the color shown on Shaun/salan7's truck it'll still be "Ford".  Cool!

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The 300d was a classic that just ran forever.

Glad to see someone making use of that engine.
There was someone here In town that had a td (wagon) running on WVO.
I could smell it before I even heard it.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
doni10 wrote
 5 cylinder OM602 turbo diesel. (mated to a 722.6 automatic transmission).
 Rubber donut drive too?

Edit: for those that don't know, these cars used what is essentially a rag joint instead of universal on the driveshaft.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
doni10 wrote
Love this colour!
what a sweet looking truck, with the 'wimbledon white' two tone if i'm not mistaken :). - have been looking at a lot of paint colours of late!

and it's not too orange.... incidentally i'm a big fan of orange, just i'd always imagined the decals being orange, so am after some contrast.

thanks for sharing shawn
I miss it dearly and should never have sold it. I like my F350, but I really liked the colors on that truck.

The second color was actually a vanilla or banana cream color when shined up. It was a little dull from all of the years of sun exposure in California and then Florida. I have seen brown trucks mixed with wimbledon white before though. The tailgate on my F350 is actually from one.
Reply | Threaded
|

doni10
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Yeah the engine hopefully should be just the ticket.
It's a turbo'd one (that came out of a ssangyoung Musso, they made the Om602 under licence), and should be good for 130bhp.

Will be sure to post some.pics up when I'm a bit further along.
Reply | Threaded
|

doni10
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
And yes Jim you're right.
Donut drives the one!

Actually have a really cool stand alone controller for the 722.6.
I'm don't plan to install them but if u want to manual shift, it even comes with flappy paddle gearshifters for the steering column....

Would be kinda cool :)
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That would be cool!  But maybe not needed in camper?