bedliner options

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

bedliner options

66gtk
I'm looking into bedliner options and am considering either a drop in plastic bedliner or a DIY spray/brush/roll style.  Truck will be used occasionally like a truck should, but it will not be used in the winter.  RWD short box styleside.  Are there "new" drop in liners made that fit these trucks properly?  Is there a DIY method that actually doesn't look like poop after a few years of light duty?  I'd like the ability to use the body color instead of black if not using a drop in.  

Any suggestions and/or real world feedback/experience would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Troy
'83 F150 XL Shortbox California
302 (EEC-III), AOD, 3.55 - stock original drivetrain
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: bedliner options

Steve83
Banned User
You're describing something that doesn't exist...  If you want it durable, Rhino is the only one I've seen that actually lasts.  The only way to get body color is clear (which I've never seen) or color-matched Rhino (which isn't DIY, or cheap).  Parts specific to these trucks (like drop-ins) are becoming VERY rare because there's not enough demand for them.  Even the cargo liner for Broncos was discontinued nearly a decade ago.  I doubt you can find a new drop-in, but I haven't looked.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by 66gtk
If they did/do exist, I am not a fan of the drop in ones that I've had. They've worn the paint around the fenders, screws come loose, warp, and if you haul mulch or something like that you have to take them out to clean under them.
My truck had a very, very early rhino liner in it. Despite the age, it held up very well. I pulled it all up and am planning on putting the UV protected lineX back although I haven't done a ton of research yet on the options out there.

I've never done a diy job but I would still consider that over a drop in.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
66gtk wrote
Any suggestions and/or real world feedback/experience would be appreciated.
I'll be interested in hearing how this goes for you - one of the things I'm considering for when I get my truck repainted is color-matched bedliner.
Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Just remembered that I've see a few posts on a Jeep forum awhile back on using a diy kit called Raptor for the whole floor. They seemed to really like it.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I had Blue Rhino-lined when I bought him, and love it. Things don’t slide around in it, and it has a lifetime warranty.

Big Blue came with an over-the-edge drop-in and I’m not a fan. It holds water in it as there are no drains, and I assume there’s been water under it to rust the bed, though I’ve not dared pull it to see. And, things slide around in it easily.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I just put in a thick rubber mat in my grandfather's 2015 F150. Really happy with it. It's at least easy to roll up and remove if needed. Our local farm supply has thick horse mats that I know people have taken a sawzall to and made bed mats with.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
^X2
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The only problem with horse mats is they don't protect the bed sides from dents from the inside.

1) I suppose this would be an issue with spray on liners too.

2) Sometimes it's advantageous to have a slippery polyethylene liner.

Try sliding a pallet of something in, on a spray liner!
The mat can be rolled up, and the load slid in.
I suppose you could have a sheet of MDO ready for when you expect to need it.....
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, sliding something in on a sprayed-in liner isn't easily done.  Same with a mat, although the mat can be taken out.

Dad had a mat in his truck when I got it, and it had protected the floor fairly well but not perfectly.  Lots of things were trapped under it and they'd gotten wet and caused rust.  Little spots of rust in many places.

And one of the things it trapped was hundreds of .22 shell casings.  He and his grandkids had shot out of the bed of the truck for years, and somehow lots of the casings were under the mat, clustered around the wheelwells.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
Yes, sliding something in on a sprayed-in liner isn't easily done.  Same with a mat...
For sure. That 1/2" - 3/4" blue building foam sheathing is worth it's weight in gold (luckily it's light). I use pieces of it almost on a daily basis and when I am going to pick something up that can be slid by hand I throw a piece in. Sit the item on it and it will slide really well over the mat on up into the bed.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Pebcak
I've thought about these before.  But I never "pulled the trigger" of getting one since I've never known anyone that has used them.

Tractor Supply

Lowes
1986 F150 XLT Lariat, 4X2, 351W, 1406 Edelbrock Carb - Currently going through an engine rebuild through a "Father/Son Project"
Reply | Threaded
|

66gtk
Thanks for the info and feedback guys.  My 83 still has original paint in the bed, so I'm thinking a drop in is a good solution.
'83 F150 XL Shortbox California
302 (EEC-III), AOD, 3.55 - stock original drivetrain