Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Zf-5 rebuild (worth watching)

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
https://youtu.be/ekfR1jSmSMQ?si=39_pbxasU01ye7ja
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Zf-5 rebuild (worth watching)

Rembrant
If you're in the mood to be watching Ford 5spd overhauls, this one below on the M5OD-R2 is pretty good too. The best part is that it's done in a home garage with common tools. I've watched it a few times...very handy if you were thinking of rebuilding one at home.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
Thanks for the share. ZF-5 is probably my most desired swap in a Bullnose.. Glad to know it can be serviced in a home garage.
Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with the heart of a 1986 F250 Bullnose - under restoration
- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'd hardly say C&C is a "home shop"!

But it's good to see Clint teaching his kids to build and maintain their own vehicles.

There's a whole series on that crew cab dually, where they build the Cummins and another where they do the reverse shackle swap and retrofit the four-wheel drive.

You might want to check out their playlist
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
That’s a serious shop indeed. Will check out their videos.

Do you think it’s easier to rebuild a C6/AOD or a T18/T19/ZF5 in a home setting ? To me standards are a bunch of gears and seem more intuitive.
Vivek

- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
That's a really interesting video.  I wish mine shifted like that one does!  But I'm not about to take it apart given what I've seen them needing to do.  I had a pro rebuild mine and if he didn't get it perfect (you have to "wait on 3rd gear as he said) then I don't think I'd do any better.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by viven44
.Gearboxes certainly seem more intuitive and I've been inside of them since the '70's when I would split the cases of my dirt bikes.
I remember when they would show you geartrains on the ASVAB and other tests. This always seemed simple to me.

Non-electronic automatics seem complex, and valve bodies appear like Theseus' labyrinth, but there are way less clearances and sliding fits to puzzle out.
I'm not nearly as familiar with them because I've never owned an automatic vehicle, myself.

I can read the channels like a map, or schematic, but you don't really need to know any of that. You just need to put everything back exactly as it should be.

So I would say automatics are probably easier to rebuild, if you are careful.
You don't have to juggle many shafts with stacks of sliding fits. Or have as many snap rings to get in the correct orientation.

For either one to be successful you need confidence and clean environment like a surgeon in a battlefield operating room, IMHO

Tucker did great welding up those races to get them to shrink out of the bottom of the case. He is an amazing welder for a high school kid.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
I have a spare working RWD C6 for a 460. I’d like to convert it to 4x4. Maybe a good opportunity to take one apart. If things don’t work a shop can complete it.
Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Is that synchronizer related? Wonder why he couldn’t fix it since he was already in it. Was the actual framework at its limits or was it a case of “don’t know how it’s going to work until it’s all put back together” … I don’t know much about those gearboxes so just curious
Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
C6's are strong but they're really good at turning power into hot fluid.
Will seems to have started a thread, but I don't wade in to something I don't know inside & out

I'm not sure where you'd find a tailshaft housing and output shaft, but you can certainly do it.
I'm not certain if a C6 has an integral adapter, or if you'd need one of those along with the transfer case shift linkage.

If you're  rebuilding a 2wd it's a good opportunity to get your speedo adjusted right for whatever gear and tires you intend to use
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
Thanks. I’ll check out that thread.

Yes I need to find the tail shaft housing. I learned a lot from watching this video.

https://youtu.be/g9cMArvgJQ4?si=Zz14f5wM-0KTCpbE
Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Precision Transmissions seem to have some good tutorials.
I haven't watched their channel in a while.

Thanks for the link!  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
If you're over at FTE I recall there's a guy (Alvin in AZ) that has a few threads about rebuilding the Zf5, and what to look out for.

You might get some insight about that 3rd gear synchro or dogs, whichever is problematic.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

85pig
Me too - I'd love to have a ZF5 in mine, but I'm intimidated by the idea of rebuilding one.  I rebuilt the T5 in my Comet, but it wasn't hard, and I've read that they are one of the easier trannys to rebuild.  I've heard the ZF5 is a bear.  
1985 F150 4X4 300 I6 4-Speed
1970 Torino Cobra "Twister Special" 429CJ 4-Speed
1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible 331 5-Speed
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
The channel died AFAIK. Trent got into it with his dad (I guess the latter was tired of making videos) and that was the end of my subscription since all trent wanted to do was post dirtybird project videos. Having peeked back, no new content last I saw.

A real shame.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
Yes its a shame. My guess is the original channel had to be shut down as they had a revenue ownership dispute ?

Fortunately they are still making new videos. This is Richard's new channel

http://www.youtube.com/@richardteresacricheducatio3542

Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by ratdude747
There's nothing that will make me walk right out without looking back than some kind of infantile reality show drama.

In that moment, I don't care, or even want to know.
I'm done, see ya!  
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Sweet. I'll have to check that out. Nothing like seeing how many different ways one can fry a 4L60E
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
Lol. GM special indeed, his specialty is 4L60s for sure but equally knowledgeable in Ford as well. He is definitely the guy that's "in the zone". Pleasure to watch.
Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Here's a link to Jon's latest video......
You're in the field. How do you think of it as a primer for the uneducated masses?

Note, that he does things like say dram instead of D-ram just to raise people's ire.
"Any attention is better than NO attention"

Being what I am, I get this right away and chuckle....  🙃
 Jim,