"Youngster" with a '81 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

"Youngster" with a '81 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat

"Youngster"
Hello everybody I'm new here (and to any other forums also) I'm 15 and I've got a '81 F-150 XLT Lariat on my hands that needs to be put back together, It's got the 5 liter windsor V8 under the hood but the only thing on it is from the bottom of the oil pan up to the air intake and valve covers, I have taken apart several newer cars before but have never tinkered on or fixed anything older then '93 so i do have basic mechanical knowledge, but not enough to fix something, any pointers of where i should start?

'81 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: "Youngster" with a '81 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome!  Glad you joined the forum and glad you posted here.  

Let's do one of the newbie things here before talking about the truck.  Where's home?  I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we can add you with a city/state or zip.  We don't put the pin where you actually live as we don't want unexpected guests.  But you might be near one of us that could help with your project.

As for the truck, you have a LOT of work on your hands.  But you've come to the right place as we know these trucks and are happy to help.

I'd start by cleaning everything out.  The passenger's floorboard has lots of things you may want, but pull the things out and post some pics so we can ID them.  I see the speed control servo, accessory brackets for the engine, the cooling fan, and radio bezel in there.

Also, a pic of the driver's inner fender will let us ID the ignition module.  Or you can check to see if it has a blue grommet where the wires come out.  Ford color-coded the modules via the grommet and the color will let us know what you have.

But, I highly recommend that you create a signature so we know what we are working on.  We like to help, but with 2000 members worldwide we can't remember what your truck has on it, so please include the transmission, engine, year, etc.  You can see how to do that on the page at Bullnose Forum/Forum FAQs.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

"Youngster"
My zip code is 23882, and where on the fender would i find the grommet
Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
Welcome to the forum.

The colored grommet will be located on the ignition module itself.  The module is bolted on the top of the driver's side inner fender apron.

The grommet is going to be either Blue or yellow or brown, depending on which Duraspark module you have.

Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by "Youngster"
You are now on the map, assuming you are in Stony Creek, VA.

As for the ignition module, I've circled it in your pic below:

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oh yes, I like your signature and avatar.  Well done!  

Reply | Threaded
|

"Youngster"
In reply to this post by 81-F150-Explorer
There's the ignition module
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

81-F150-Explorer
I cannot tell which color that is from the picture.

Where the wires are coming out of the module, the wire relief grommet, if you clean up the layer of dirt around it you should be able to see the color.  

Truck: 1981 F-150 Explorer / Engine: 300-6 California MCU Feedback System / Trans: T-18 - 4 speed / 2.75 Ford Rear Axle Open Diff.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
assuming that there is not too much rust you should have a great base for a good build.  I love seeing young men getting their hands on stuff like this. girls too. I'm not insensitive! anyway, glad you joined and hopefully you get all the coaching you need here glad to help if I can. did I see that you are in va.? im just south in central nc.
Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
Awesome Truck that looks like it has a pretty straight/clean body on it. Welcome to the forum. I'm just north of you in Winchester, VA. I'm not knowledgeable like some of the other minds on here but this group is awesome at helping out. They helped me get my Bullnose from not running when I bought it to ready for paint (hopefully this summer). Best of luck. We will do all we can to help out!
1980 F100 Custom. Inline 6. Power steering. 3 on the Column.
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
Welcome Youngster, here goes $20 worth of my 2 cents. CLEAN as Gary says. Clean out the bed of the truck to store parts, get cardboard boxes to group parts, get some of Mom’s sandwich bags and a magic marker.LABEL,LABEL and LABEL. Bag every nut, bolt and screw, LABEL where they go, yes, you will forget.Move the parts from the cab first, find nuts, bolts to match those parts, LABEL! Post photos and ask what this is or that is. There are no dumb questions on this site except from us old guys. Use air compressor  and blow out dirt, dust and trash. Then you can start cleaning. Cover sensitive items, carb, dist.,alt etc. Wet down inside of hood and everything under hood, then get some dawn soap, mix with water and spray everything under the hood. Let it sit 10 to 15 min and brush with nylon brush using more spray soap. Rinse off. No it won’t be completely clean but it’s clean enough to work on. You can clean and repaint parts as you replace them. Check my post under projects, getting ready for the road. Yours can look the same, YOU can do it. Good luck and Persevere. CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

tjmac
Welcome! I'm new too, so I'm stealing all these good tips on where and how to start. Especially the sandwich baggie trick!
TJ McCloud
Lil'Blue:1983 Ford F150 4x4 Standard
5.0 302 V8
C6 3 speed automatic
DS-II Ignition
2150 Carb