White/fogged windshield - reusable?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

White/fogged windshield - reusable?

delco1946
Here in Portland we've had our first week of heavy rain (winter started early!). I noticed water leaked creating a wet spot approx under the brake pedal. I assume this is a result of a leaky windshield (anything leaking from the cowl should have just soaked the insulation material i think). I've been wanting to fix my windshield so this may be the kick in the butt i need. Question is, my truck has weird white/fogged areas on the drivers and passengers (short, vertical) sides of the glass. Why is this? i don't have any cracks, so if this could be scrubbed/polished off, I could reuse the glass and save the headache of finding another windshield.

Has anyone dealt with this? It would be nice to know if it is fixable and save the time trolling a JY for good glass (I read up on the problems associated with aftermarket glass), OR if its not fixable i would hate to realize this after i've removed the windshield and have to tarp it while praying that i find a decent windshield (no garage).  

Thanks - Christopher
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: White/fogged windshield - reusable?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The white is usually from de-lamination.  All glass in a vehicle has to be safety glass, which is two layers of glass with a layer of plastic film between them.  That means that if the glass breaks it is held together by the plastic.  But, sometimes the two pieces separate and that causes the white you are seeing.

Show us a pic?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
This happened to the original windshield in my 86 cab. The windshield was junk because as Gary said, the two halves were coming apart.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
And has been pointed out when you get the new glass check where the VIN shows thru as the new glass made for the newer trucks has the VIN in a different area and cant be seen thru the glass.
So make sure they check this before they install it and install the right one.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946

Bad picture but you can sorta see the fogged part in the corner. Sounds like I’ll be searching the junkyards for a new old w/s. Thanks for the advice
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's pretty mild, but that it delamination.  It isn't going to get any better, only worse.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
This post was updated on .
Mine was fogged around the whole perimeter of the windshield, as an example of what "worse" is.

Also, it didn't come out in one piece.
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
Oh no! Well I hope I don’t have to experience that. It’s its other spots around the windshield but I’m admittedly trying to go closer to the restoration route, so that coupled with a potential leak and I’m thinking I should just replace it. Especially since we’re entering the rainy season.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Peace of mind is a great thing, I would replace it as well.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
same thing as mine, was quoted $160 to replace it here in SC.
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Again, be REALLY careful!  If you don't watch closely they'll put the later windshield in and since the mask for the VIN is in a different place you can't read the VIN.  And that may/will bite you at some point.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Six years ago, the windshield of my truck needed to be replaced. The black band around the windshield was applied just before installation, so the VIN could be seen. Here is a link to an old thread detailing it.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1258506-chinese-replacement-windshield.html