classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
29 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Which distributor to get?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jacob - Glad you mentioned it.  He's seeing the advantage of the forum and word of mouth.  Or, is it keyboard?

Rusty - I agree, $120 isn't bad for curving your dizzy.  But $200 for a whole new dizzy that's curved, inc cap and rotor, is even better.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
The 86 Mustang DSII distributor I got from Cardone brand new via Rockauto didn't cost me but $60 I believe it was so all in all I am looking around $200 for sending him mine and having him recurve it.

I might see if he has something better that is plug and play for DSII along with having a steel gear for use with a roller cam.

I thought of upgrading to the Holley distributor to have timing controlled but then started thinking if I ever had an ignition problem then I would have to order parts online vs going to the local auto parts store and getting a replacement part.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Jacob84
Rusty_S85 wrote
I thought of upgrading to the Holley distributor to have timing controlled but then started thinking if I ever had an ignition problem then I would have to order parts online vs going to the local auto parts store and getting a replacement part.
That's the kind of mindset I like to have when I built (and continue building) my truck. Being able to limp to a parts store or call in a favor from a buddy and getting fixed within hours and not days is nice. Plus keeping the ignition system separate from the fuel system makes diagnosing an issue easier. That's what I do so I can easily rule out one system or the other when I'm having problems.
Jacob,
84 F150 base model, New 95 roller 351w with 5.0 ho roller cam, Summit Racing Max EFI 500, and other toys, MSD DIS, C6 trans, 9 inch rear 3.50, reg cab, long bed, 4x4. 33s, 2.5" Rough Country lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
That's another problem you run into, if you link ignition and fuel to one system then that one control can take out both systems.

That is the big thing with my planning for my build is as much as possible will be parts you can pick up at the local parts store.  I probably wont be doing the balancer the same way, im thinking of getting one of those higher dollar performance balancers just because a 50oz imbalance balancer for my '82 is impossible to locate locally and the ones I ordered didn't have any timing marks on it which makes them useless for me as I cant set timing without timing marks.

Its like the fuel filter, holley sells one that has a built in pressure regulator but just like the holley distributor you have to buy from them, not from the local autopart store.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Hmm, that's how mine is, EEC-V controls ignition, fuel and transmission. This is why I have a couple of spare EEC-V boxes and if I am going to be going a good distance, like to my son's in WV, I can toss one in the truck, I can swap the connector to the spare with a 10mm socket and 1/4" drive ratchet in maybe 10 mins, I can change the whole thing out in probably 20 mins with an 11mm socket and a large screwdriver to push down the inner fender for clearance.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Which works cause EEC-V you can just go to the local autoparts store and pick a spare up if need be.  In the case of Holley you have to buy another ECU directly from them and wait for it to come in and hope like hell you don't need it before it comes in.

I got a couple NOS Motorcraft DSII boxes when Rockauto still carried them for $5 a piece, I got one on the truck, got a no name one that is fine that I took off the truck in favor of motorcraft part and then I still got another NOS in the box DSII box.  So ignition wise I don't have anything to worry about.  But if truck does drop dead on me and its related to the EFI, well then that would put me down till I got a replacement.  But with how many ive installed, I never had one come back needing replacement parts unlike FiTech that couldn't even get out of the shop without problems from sticking injectors to just dumping fuel on crank up making starting the vehicle almost impossible.  I had that dumping fuel on startup once on the sniper setup and it was one I didn't install but the boss installed, problem was in the setup he selected stock cam for the 454 big block even though it had a beating cam.  Made the switch to mild cam and no more dumping fuel on start up.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jacob84
Wanted to give an update on the distributor I got from Scott at Parkland Performance just in case anyone was on the fence.

Finally got it in the motor today and it's a night and day difference. Hundreds of times better than any normal parts store distributor or RockAuto distributor you could get. On my ticket he wrote the rate of advance, total timing, and vacuum advance along with all the details I told him about my motor and drivetrain combo. I tested it with a timing light after I put it in and the advance is dead on the money just like he wrote down.

He's very knowledgeable, professional, and is perfectly happy taking your call if you have a question even a month and a half after you purchased your distributor as I did today. I'll recommend him and his business any time I can.
Jacob,
84 F150 base model, New 95 roller 351w with 5.0 ho roller cam, Summit Racing Max EFI 500, and other toys, MSD DIS, C6 trans, 9 inch rear 3.50, reg cab, long bed, 4x4. 33s, 2.5" Rough Country lift.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, Scotty is all of those things.  I really like dealing with him and can't recommend him enough.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rusty_S85
Can't do a direct pickup, because it has to be reflashed to my configuration. The common ones I use are for a 351W and E4OD. Cylinder size, injector size and firing order need to be changed, EGR system and purge control need changing, misfire detector and 3rd O2 sensor have to be turned off. I have to purchase a token in order to do the initial crack of it, after that I can change anything I want or need to.

One item I wish Ford had done with the 460, a better intake, the Chevy 454 Vortec is a beautiful design except for the injector location.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413