classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Which Favicon?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
As some of you know, I've been playing with Copilot, which is Microsoft's AI tool.  Part of the playing has been to see what it thinks should be done to improve the forum and/or the website.  And one of the things it mentioned was to choose a good favicon - the image that shows on your browser tab, if your browser does that.

Heretofore we've used the bull with a ring in its nose, but we also have the front outline of a Bullnose truck that we use for the sticker and have at the top of each page.  So I asked Copilot this question: "We've used the bull with a ring in its nose as the favicon for the website.  But we also have the outline of the front of a Bullnose truck on our decal.  Would it be better to use the outline of the truck as the favicon?"

And here's the answer:

A favicon is a small icon that represents your website on browsers, bookmarks, and other places on the web¹. It is important to choose a favicon that is recognizable, consistent, and relevant to your brand and website².

The bull with a ring in its nose is a distinctive and memorable image that reflects the name and theme of your website, the Bullnose Bible. However, the outline of the front of a Bullnose truck is also a relevant and appealing image that showcases the actual product and passion of your website, the Bullnose trucks.

There is no definitive answer to which image would be better as a favicon, as both have their pros and cons. Ultimately, it depends on your personal preference and the feedback of your audience. You could try using both images as favicons and see which one gets more positive responses and recognition from your visitors.

Alternatively, you could combine both images into one favicon, by placing the bull inside the truck outline, or vice versa. This way, you could capture both aspects of your website and create a unique and eye-catching favicon. However, you would need to make sure that the favicon is clear and legible at a small size, as favicons are usually displayed at 16x16 or 32x32 pixels³.

To create and test your favicon, you can use tools such as [Favicon Generator](^4^), [Favicon.io](^5^), or [RealFaviconGenerator]. These tools will help you design, optimize, and preview your favicon on different browsers and devices.

I hope this helps you decide on the best favicon for your website. If you have any questions or feedback, please let me know. I'm always happy to chat with you. 😊

Given that I'd like your opinion via the poll below.  Please tell us which favicon you prefer.
Which image should we use as our favicon?
This poll is closed.   
This poll ended on .
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Which Favicon?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This post was updated on .
With the vote running strongly for the outline, 7 to 3 at present, I've changed the favicon to that just to see what it looks like.  But it didn't change on Chrome nor Edge so I fired up Firefox for the first time on this machine.  Sure enough, there it was so it may take some time to change on the other browsers.

Anyway, I'm not sure I like it.  The lack of color makes a big difference.  Here's what I'm seeing vs the old one.  Note that you can go back and change your vote if you want to.  And you can reply to this to tell us what you think.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
I agree with the lack of color issue. It makes it difficult to tell what it is.
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Since I've been playing with Copilot, aka Bing, I asked him how important color is.  Here's his answer, but it does align with most of the things I'm reading on the internet regarding favicon selection:

Color is an important factor for favicons, as it can affect the visibility, recognition, and branding of your website. According to the web search results, here are some reasons why color matters for favicons:

Color can help your favicon stand out from the background color of the browser tab, which is usually grey, white, or black. Contrasting colors can make your favicon more noticeable and eye-catching.

Color can help your favicon convey the style, mood, and personality of your website and brand. Different colors have different associations and meanings, such as red for excitement, blue for trust, or green for nature. You can use colors that match your logo, theme, or message.

Color can help your favicon be consistent and recognizable across different platforms and devices. Using the same or similar colors as your logo or website can create a unified and coherent visual identity for your brand. This can increase your brand awareness and loyalty among your visitors.

Therefore, color is a crucial element for designing a good favicon. You should choose colors that are clear, relevant, and consistent for your website and brand. You can use tools such as Favicon Generator, Favicon.io, or [RealFaviconGenerator] to create and preview your favicon with different colors.

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary, be aware that there's at least one other Ford site (maybe more?) having a B&W truck face as favicon.

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good point, Jeff. That makes me like the outline even less and the bull even more.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Lies.   All lies.......  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Agreed and changed my vote accordingly.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Wasn't sure what a favicon was, so I googled it:

"Favicons can help users quickly identify your website among a sea of open tabs. Plus, they make it easy for users to find your website easily in their browser history. The more consumers see your favicon, the more likely they'll recognize your logo the next time they see it."

Based off that, and the fact that the Cow Favicon has been linked to our website for so long, I say leave it alone. If the website were new and under development, I'd go with the truck Favicon.  

BTW, thinking about putting mirrors on the truck logo. When time permits, may toss that up here to see what you think.
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I see my favicon has changed to the BW image.
It threw me for a minute....

Too small for me to note what is being shown on my phone.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, it has shown up on my tablet as well.  So now I have the two side by side and it is far easier to pick out the brown bull's nose that it is the barely-recognizable front end outline.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We are still tied in voting, but I put it back to the bull for the moment.  It'll take a few days to make its way through to show up, but I think it is the one we want.

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary, I lwas thinking about a B&W favicon colorization.
Maybe two-tones blue, I thought?

But I realized that we won't see a lot of colors on a Bullnose front picture, 32x32...

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jeff - That's looks like Big Blue, albeit w/o the winch and bumper.  Well done!  

But, as you pointed out, you don't see much color from straight on.  Maybe if it was Big Bro's red, but I doubt even then that there'd be much color to see.

Given the small size of the favicon, even on a fairly large screen like this tablet, it is hard to pick up the outline.  The snag below shows what I'm seeing, with the brown bullnose being much easier to distinguish than the outline.

There's just no way to put enough colour in the outline to make much difference.

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
I was thinking Favicon must be some sort of conference where people go dressed up as Superheros or Star Trek characters or something and hadn't taken the time to look at this thread yet.

Now that I have looked and see that Favicon is completely different from Comicon, I still haven't bothered voting, because I don't really have an opinion, other than I'm accused of being change-averse, so any time a question like this comes up I tend to lean toward sticking with what's already there.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Nothing Special wrote
I was thinking Favicon must be some sort of conference where people go dressed up as Superheros or Star Trek characters or something and hadn't taken the time to look at this thread yet.

Now that I have looked and see that Favicon is completely different from Comicon, I still haven't bothered voting, because I don't really have an opinion, other than I'm accused of being change-averse, so any time a question like this comes up I tend to lean toward sticking with what's already there.
  That's funny!

As for change, I tend to cause it, so am not averse.  But in this case I think the change I proposed isn't a good one.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I see the 'ring' favicon is back this morning.  

No more headscratching about which tabs the forum is open on.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I put it back several days ago but it takes awhile to percolate through the various systems.  Its been back on Chrome on this tablet for a day or two.