classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
32 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Where To Buy Parts

Rembrant
Gary Lewis wrote
I'd thought, briefly, of trying to make on of those.  But then I realized there were two problems:

1: How to machine the reliefs into the outside so it would sit down in the column correctly

2: What to do about the square shaft in the round hole.
Well, machining the relief so that it fits into the steel column is the easy part...you would just machine that portion smaller so that it slid inside and came up against a shoulder. Machined like that, the piece would work fine for trucks with a manual transmission. The problem as I see it, is machining the backside of that part so that it could be used with automatic trans trucks. I think that part would be more difficult.

As for the square shaft in the round hole...you really just need a way to make sure the shaft is snug in the hole and actually turns the bearing (instead of the shaft turning inside the inner race). However...I'm not sure how you would make sure it fit snugly, but at the same time wasn't too difficult to get on over the shaft. Not sure yet how you would do that...
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Depends on your machines.  I have a manual mill and a manual lathe.  So I could turn the outside of the bearing carrier to fit into the tube, but have no easy way to cut the shoulder to fit the steps.  But that could be done with a CNC mill.

As for the shaft fitting in the bearing, the shaft is sheet metal that's been rolled and/or stamped.  From what little I know of that process, the tolerances aren't all that good.  So the size of the shaft is going to vary, and getting it to fit properly in the bearing is probably going to be a problem.  That may be why Ford went with a plastic stuffer - it takes up the slack between the shaft and bearing.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

peterr991
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by swampedout
Very useful information in this thread.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This post was updated on .
peterr991 wrote
Very useful information. I will contribute too. I know a very good site for those looking for an engine "removed" this is not a spam!
DO NOT CLICK THE LINK IN THE ABOVE!  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Peterr991 - The link in your post above is bad.  It looks to me like you are spamming us.  I sent you an email and I'm posting here to tell you that if you don't remove that link immediately I'll ban you.

Reply | Threaded
|

peterr991
why not to click? it is just aftermarket engines site, try to look. You can delete it, whatever, but I am not spaming.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I did look and my computer froze.  And none of the engines were for Fords.  I am moving these posts to "thread jail" in 15 minutes and banning you if you've not removed that link.

Reply | Threaded
|

peterr991
Removed. They have engines for Fords. Just type in search Ford
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Peter - Thank you.

Now, back to normal programming.  I sent you an email asking you to go to the New Members Start Here folder, read the guidelines, and then start a new thread there to introduce yourself.  In the flurry of email you may have missed that, but please find it and follow those instructions.

It is important that you read the guidelines as we hold everyone to them, so you need to have had a fair chance to read them.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Peter - Apologies!  It appears that I did have a computer glitch at the same time that I clicked on the link you supplied, which was https://orbimotors.com/.

So please accept my apologies for doubting you.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Djtorello
If i may add one place to the list: http://www.truckandcarshop.com/

They have paper catalogs, but their pricing is a bit out of date.
1982 Ford F100, 4.9L (300ci) L6, C6.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Cool! Thanks!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona