Whats up guys

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Whats up guys

Eric
My name is Eric, I'm 38, I have a wife, no kids, and 2 1/2 dogs. I'm from Pascagoula MS (which is along the drive of Cruisin the Coast) but we live in Petal MS. I am in the process of semi-restoring a 87 F-150 Flareside. I received the truck at 15 when my grandfather past. It got flooded during Katrina and sat up several years till a few years ago. I'm sorta blending the 87 with 50's and 60's stepsides. This forum is a God sent though because up until a few hours ago I couldn't find any instructions or diagrams on the order in which the 3 middle sills are placed on the frame. The part#s are gone and 2 are the same height. Thanks for the info that yall have posted!
Eric
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Whats up guys

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Eric - Glad you are here.  This is a Bullnose site, but we don't discriminate.  In fact, several on here either don't have a Bullnose or have converted there's to something later.  Or converted something later to a Bullnose.

Glad you told us where you live.  Would you like to be on our map?  Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu.  I can add you.

So this was your grandfather's truck.  Cool!  I have grandkids that I hope will take care of what I pass down to them, so I like the story.

But I have to ask - how can you have 2 1/2 dogs?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Eric
Welcome to the forum Eric!  

Yep, this site and forum are a great resource, and I've been welcomed even though my beater Bricknose doesn't fit the demographic.

Where did you get your passenger car 429, and how did you swap to a rear sump?

Or are you using a medium duty 370/429 with the giant front snout?
If so, how do you intend to fit front dress and radiator?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Eric
In reply to this post by grumpin
Yeah, you can add me. My wife has a Chihuahua =1/2
Eric
Reply | Threaded
|

Eric
My motor came out of a T-bird. My truck was fuel injected but i switched to carbureted.  I can’t  speak for the Styleside but the 87 Flareside has a massive engine well. I actually went with a bigger radiator and added electric fans. The hardest part of the engine swap was the pulley configuration, motor mounts, and relocating the oil filter. It’s been a while since we did the motor swap and it’s been at a body shop the past year but i think the oil filter was hitting the steering linkage and we have to do a drop oil filter (sorry i’m not mechanically incline so that’s the best way to describe it). I don’t know what you mean by “sump” though
Eric
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
1/8 the size and 8x the attitude.
I've known a few that I really, really liked.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Cars had the oil drain in the front of the pan, and the dipstick in the timing case.

In a truck, the engine crossmember is in the way and you need a rear sump pan, an extended pickup tube and a right angle oil filter adapter for it to fit.

The medium duty truck 429's had a large diameter crank snout (where the pulleys mount) that extends quite a ways.
It is almost impossible to put them in a pickup.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Eric
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Eric
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm not sure what I'm reading...

The perches from a 302 or 351 V8 will definitely not fit a 385 series engine.
You need perches for 460/IDI and mounts *plus block adapters* to set the 460 in a bullnose.
Or maybe, you can buy the L&L swap mounts.
But those are tough, and have very little vibration isolation.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Eric
we used the motor mounts from a 460 to mount the 429.
Eric
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Eric wrote
That doesn't make any sense to me.  I don't understand much of it, but I do know that motor mounts for just any V8 will not work.  Glad you got the ones for a 460.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Eric
my dad speaks to text rather than type thigs out so u kinda have to read between the lines. also he was at the LSU game so he was busy. Yes, we used the 460 Mounts and they bolted right up to the 429.
Eric
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The blocks are the same, they should.

I don't know what that black background image is.
A screenshot???
 Jim,