1 ... 567891011 ... 25
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Website & Forum Suggestion Box

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
Yes, a unicorn would be good.  But it has to be a gif.  

There are way too many emoticons in the stock list that are essentially the same.  Or, the name that you see when you hover over it doesn't match the emotion I get when I see it
As long as it's a unicorn pooping rainbows gif!  

Perception is the thing, and mine is off (as I don't mind sharing)
So for me the less ambiguous the better.

I'll see how the responses play out.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Ok
I've installed Firefox and Opera.
I downloaded the Safari APK.

If I have time today I'll try the edit window.

Thanks the suggestions.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Change To Forum: Formatting Button

Steve83
Banned User
Here's a wrench for the monkey...

Is it possible to make the reply page a section at the bottom of every thread page?  So I can see the whole thread while I'm replying, instead of just one post within the thread?  And so I don't have to load another page to reply - I can just reply right there?
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
... in that vein.
I was trying to figure out the wiring conundrum and opened a bunch of tabs so I could get my head around the various schematics and photos.
I had quite a few paragraphs written, went to another tab, and when I came back to the reply tab it reopened -to the forum home page-!  *head explodes....
Maybe this is an artefact of Chrome timing out on my phone?
IDK, but it was very frustrating.

Even scrolling up and down over a bunch of posts is a PIMA on a tiny screen
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Guys - I agree that what we have is a pain.  I frequently have to open multiple tabs to get one response done.  I've just gone back to FTE and find that a Quick Response is done via the edit window at the bottom of a thread, and Advanced takes you to an edit window at the top, but in either case you can still scroll through all of the previous responses.

And I've lost many a response as well.  Perhaps I hit the X when going back to a tab.  Or I hit a link and went elsewhere.  But, it is FRUSTRATING!!!!

I'll go to the Nabble Forum and see if they have any suggestions.  But, Nabble itself is supposed to be replaced in the future, and my guess is that they aren't making any significant changes at the moment.

However, it is remotely possible I can do something via macros, but I seriously doubt that.

In any event, I'll see what I can do.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Really appreciate your concern and attention.  

If nabble is orphaned, and no longer supported (except by the geek community you mentioned) then I can't ask for much.

Maybe this all should be in the website and forum suggestion thread since it isn't directly related to your formatting button changes?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Trust me, this has frustrated me for the whole time we've had this forum.  So when two of the biggest users complain I really need to pay attention.

Given that, here's what I posted in a new post on the Nabble Support forum:

Perhaps this is a setting which I cannot find.  Or perhaps this is an issue that's been dealt with and which my search didn't find.  But, my users and I have a problem with the way responses are created.

On Nabble if you hit Reply you get an edit window and you can see only the post to which you are replying.  But frequently we want to reply to several posts, and in order to do that we have to open at least another window to see what the others say, if not several windows if we are quoting the other posts and want to copy the quote text.

Is there a setting or a way to change Nabble such that a reply allows you to still see the other posts?

And, I moved these comments to this thread.  But I think I learned something in yesterday's and today's moves - I need to edit the subject of my first response to moved posts as they carry with them the old thread's title, not the new thread's title.  However, if I respond to the last post in that chain and change the title of my response to the title of the new thread, and subsequent responses will have the right title.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm opening new tabs, not windows, to see other posts.
Maybe this is pedantry, maybe things are different in your iWorld. IDK..

But it might help them with a solution (if there is one )

Great sleuthing on your part!
Even though I'm working from a phone (limited keyboard) and don't have any admin powers to snip or move a thread if I wanted to, you've noticed an issue and found a workaround to make it right.

Bravo!
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are right, so I've changed that post as shown below:

Perhaps this is a setting which I cannot find.  Or perhaps this is an issue that's been dealt with and which my search didn't find.  But, my users and I have a problem with the way responses are created.

On Nabble if you hit Reply you get an edit window and you can see only the post to which you are replying.  But frequently we want to reply to several posts, and in order to do that we have to open at least another tab to see what the others say, if not several tabs if we are quoting the other posts and want to copy the quote text.

Is there a setting or a way to change Nabble such that a reply allows you to still see the other posts?

It certainly helps to have things worded correctly, so thanks for that.

As for moving things, it had bugged me that when doing so the titles in the email notifications were then off.  But this change fixes that, assuming no one responds to the moved posts themselves or at least edits the titles thereof when doing so

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Can the posts be numbered?
So it's easier to refer to post#123 instead of trying to quote it or describe the contents of a post. **that may be pages away?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Is there a way for you to put a link back to the main forum from the bottom of threads in the new members introductions sub-forum?

I think some new members may be getting stuck there.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Another interesting glitch today.

I was replying to a post and the page wouldn't scroll up far enough for me to see the 'post message' button.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yeah, you REALLY need a Bullnose Enthusiasts homepage link back at the bottom of the introductions threads......
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
Another interesting glitch today.

I was replying to a post and the page wouldn't scroll up far enough for me to see the 'post message' button.
This is a problem that's bitten me a few times, but each time I've been on a real computer, not a mobile device.  And on a computer you can do a Control+ or Control- and zoom in or out which seems to resolve the problem.

Were you on a computer or mobile device?  If the latter, is there a way to zoom in/out?

Anyway, I'll see if I can get it fixed.

ArdWrknTrk wrote
Yeah, you REALLY need a Bullnose Enthusiasts homepage link back at the bottom of the introductions threads......
Similar question - are you on a computer or mobile device?  On a computer and on my iPhone I have "Gary's Garagemahal (the Bullnose bible)" at the very top of the screen.  If you click on it you are taken to the main page.  But, maybe that's not that obvious?

So, what if it was blue with a line under it?  Would that make it obvious that it is a link?

Anyway, I'll check and see what it would take to put a link to the main page at the bottom of every page.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I did try zooming in and out.
Still wouldn't show me farther than the Orange box you write the reply in.

It's not that it doesn't look like a link.
It's that it could be 15 posts up the page, and noobs don't register every bit of background as they navigate.

Yes, I see the bullnose button at the top of each thread page.

But I was just in Schwabbers thread (or something) and have to scroll furiously to reach it.
All the threads down here go back to the main page.

You had a new user the other day saying how unfamiliar he was with forums, when you told him he kept posting in his introduction thread.

If he actually saw a way to get here at the end of making a post (or whatever) maybe he would post & open a new topic down here
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, I've asked if there is a way to put a link on the bottom of the page.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yeah, I'm saying change <----- return to new members...
To <--- return to bullnose enthusiasts
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Actually, the top of the page has a link to Bullnose Enthusiasts and to New Members....  But the bottom of the page only has the link to New Members.  So, if we got the bottom to have both links wouldn't that do it?

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Maybe? IDK

I'm not the noob user who has problems.
Why don't you ask them???

What you have now might make sense to you.
But it is a pita on mobile and unapparent/un-intuitive to new members.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
One thing I DO know:
Don't present neophytes with too many choices.

That WILL always bite you in the azz
 Jim,
1 ... 567891011 ... 25