Violet

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Violet

Kojack
Well, it's official, got my rig Violet back home where she belongs after a good 2-3 years of sitting at a buddies place. She must've been ready cause all she needed was a new battery and she lit off like a firecracker, old gas and all. Even drove on and off the trailer! Anywho, a short introduction and a little back story. 1985 f150 standard cab, short box, 4x4 truck. Factory 300i6, currently a 351w. New process 435 4-speed and new process 208-F. Do not know what the final gearing is, but I remember doing about 55mph MAX in 4th lol.

Bought it for dirt cheap, someone's play toy. They were the ones that did the straight 6 delete, interior delete, and wiring delete. When I first got it home about 7 years ago, went through and found several issues with it. Two bolts holding the bellhousing to the block, would only run on 6 cylinders (wiped cam lobes), and super worn consumables like bearings and seals and u-joints. Before I let the truck sit another 2-3 years I got it running and driving before running out of steam, but never could figure out why it would have intermittent idle issues. Flash forward to this past weekend, the truck is back in the front yard and I had a little time Sunday to tinker. I did a full tune up (except oil) and ran into an overheating issue, electric fans quit. Turned out it was the actual base that the relay plugs into that failed and I got that fixed. The whole day tinkering around with this truck and when it's warm and at idle it'll just randomly start running real rough, like it has a miss or a bad vacuum leak and then you get on the throttle or shut it off for a few and then it's back to butter smooth. I've searched high and low for a vacuum leak, ive double checked all of my ignition, the only thing I haven't done it rebuilt the carb. It's a work in progress. More updated to come this weekend!
Violet: 1985 f-150 standard cab swb 4x4 351w NP435 combo.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Violet

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Subscribed to follow the journey!  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I'm following.  

On the idling issue, sometimes the ignition module or the pickup in the distributor go wonky when they get warm.  So check to see if your timing changes or if the spark color turns red instead of blue or white.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Kojack
I will investigate the timing, as soon as I can scrub my balancer and read it. It doesn't have the factory ignition system, just a typical points style ignition. First order of business is the parking brake, it was another casualty. I have the ratcheting pedal assembly and it still has the cables ziptied up in the frame. Then on to the fuel sending unit. If anyone knows that particular P/N, I would greatly appreciate it. I seem to remember it being impossible to find. It's got the 16gal side mount tank. Pre fuel injection.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Two things.  First, please create a signature with information about your truck.  This time the thread was short and I scrolled back up and found that you have an 85.  But as threads get longer people won't be willing to go look for your info, so having it in the signature is important if you want people to respond.

Second, you can find the part number on the page at Documentation/Fuel & Air Systems/Fuel System Part #'s/Fuel Systems & Pumps.  There I think you'll find that you need E5TZ 9275-H, but you need to confirm that, especially since you said it is a 16.5 gallon tank and the MPC says it is a 17 gallon tank.

But I think that's the right number as it says it has one tube, which is correct for the non-EFI systems and you said it is "pre fuel injection".

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Kojack
Progress has been made and the truck is back on the road! I still have not figured out what's up with this random rpm stumble. As far as I can tell , it doesn't seem related to engine temp, or rpm range. I've replaced the ignition switch because it was quite sticky and figured that may have contributed to the issue but no fix. I've cleaned off all my grounds and electrical connections, ive put fresh fuel through it and gave her a little Berryman B-12, nothing has alleviated this random stutter. I suspected it may be ignition related, so i put the timing light on it and it was giving off somewhat erratic lights, as in it wasn't a consistent flash. Can someone run by me how to adjust contact points? Maybe my disco is loose? This is the only thing keeping this truck from being on the road. Thanks you guys!
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
An 85 didn't come with points but it could be a failing module or the pickup inside the distributor.

With the  ignition on put the timing light on the coil wire that goes to the center of the distributor and rap on the side of the distributor with a screwdriver handle.

Does it flash?

Is your ignition module on the driver's side known good?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Kojack
The truck doesn't have duraspark, it was all ripped out via previous owner. She's got an old school points style vacuum advance dizzy and coil. I have put a light on it, and yes it flashes. It just doesn't have a consistent flash, as if just loses spark for a split second and then catches itself.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Throw a Pertronix unit in there and forget about setting points every 3,000 miles ever again.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
another point to consider is the timing light itself. I have noticed a few being sold today have a tendency to have a weak pickup coil. sometimes it can be a little position sensitive. I'm only bringing this up as something to check in case you might get led down the wrong path.
Reply | Threaded
|

Kojack
Well, I opened up the distributor. The shaft has a little play, whether it's supposed or not I'm not sure but I checked everything was tight, I pulled out my condenser and tested it and it's operating correctly, as well as my coil. Everything checked out and I started scratching my head. I energized the ignition and checked for spark in the gap and it was very weak. What had me stumped the last few weeks was fixed by simply adjusting the gap. That's what I get for over complicating things lol. I let it come up to temp, and took it for a drive and didn't get so much as a hiccup!

This weekend I plan on pulling the bed off, replacing the fuel sending unit and generally cleaning things up under there. I will also be installing a fuel return line for my anticipated sniper efi. I might even get to putting on my boom tubes!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator