classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Vent Window Fourth Bolt

kramttocs
Administrator
Was there ever a bolt put into the vent window little bracket under the mirror?
On all the ones I've looked at it is empty.

If not, any benefit to adding one before installing the mirrors?

Also, is this the same hole in the door that power mirrors used for cable routing and those wouldn't have had the bracket at all?

Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Vent Window Fourth Bolt

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't know, Scott.  Don't remember and haven't had the vent windows in or out very many times.  Sorry.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Before you go getting all crazy like see if you can fit the assy. in the door?

I went thru a whole big deal on the vent window frames on my 81.
The ones from the truck were rusted & broken and I got a good set years ago from some place, member?
I could not fit them in the doors and when I matched them to the old they were different.
I had to get a 3rd set that were a little different than the first set but they would fit into the doors.
I am sure that bracket I had to cut off just to get them in the doors.

I think I did a thread on the different vent window frames and maybe the years they were from when trying to get mine in the doors? Anyone remember this thread? Pictures were from 10/13-15/2019

I just went thru my pictures and I don't see that bracket on any of mine.
Also IIRC when trying to fit it in the door I could not see where that bracket would tie in as I don't think it hit where the mirror screws were.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by kramttocs
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Yeah, not a huge deal. Really the only reason I even thought of asking about it was because I believe it was Jim who has had issues with the outer skin cracking somewhere in that area. That may have nothing to do with the bolt/bracket though.

Fwiw it is an m4-.7 bolt.

Dave - these are the ones that came out of the truck so no concerns with fitment (already back in actually ). Not sure when the bracket first appeared. There is a hole on the outer skin for it and I'll need to look at the mirror gasket but I'd assume there is a hole in it also for clearance.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
On my 81 the outer skin has a bracket welded to the inner door frame to support the mirror weight but they all seam to crack the welds then crack the outer skin.

That bracket could be a "fix" on the later years but my doors did not have anywhere for it to match up to to support anything.

Beside the different assy. for different years, it had been almost 4 years since I took the doors apart and I kept trying to put the assy. into the doors all wrong. Once some one told me at the same time I RTM, I seen what I was doing wrong and the assy. fell into place.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100