Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: VCL (Vehicle Certification Label) aka Door jamb sticker or Door Tag

85lebaront2
Administrator
Looks good!
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, it looks just right.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by BigBrother-84
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by BigBrother-84
Interesting thing I came across this evening while searching for a transmission. I was checking car-part.com and a couple options popped up in Quebec, and one ad in particular showed a picture of the certification labels. I didn't think anything of it at first, but later on I thought...why did that F150 have two certification labels?? One is in English, and the other is in French! Interesting. Maybe this is common in Quebec? I have never seen this before. I know Canadian packaging must have both English and French, but certification labels I had no idea!

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
What's even more interesting is that it wasn't built in Canada.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Good question Cory!

I never paid attention to the VCL of my recent vehicles.  They come with owner's manual in English and French, and security stickers are bilingual (as for air bags and seat belts, for example).

I'll take a look to my GMC Terrain and my Volt VCL, I'm curious.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Rembrant
Ok, my wife had a party at home, with some university friends who didn't meet for over 30 years.
Was very funny, we're all getting older bodies, but everyone is still the same we were in 1989.  What a nice weekend!

So, there was few cars in our driveway, I took a look to their VCL, just for fun.
Toyota Highlander, Landrover, Volt, Terrain, Cadillac CT5, Nissan Rogue, . All the same:  Their VCL is bilingual, a single sticker with English and French side by side.

Example:

Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Interesting, I have 3 vehicles built in Ontario, Darth, the 1986 F350, a 2009 and 2011 Flex. Here are the labels from the 2011 Flex (odd appearance is due to the location, curved area on the back side of the left rear door opening):

Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
This is probably a requirement specifically for products intended for the Quebec market.

Even if English and French are the two official languages in Canada (see: Official Languages Act), Quebec added some specific rules about French use in its territory (Bill C-11).

I found this interesting summary on the International Trade Organisation web site:
«The Province of Québec requires that all products sold in the province be labeled in French and that the use of French be given at least equal prominence with other languages on any packages or containers. The Charter of the French Language requires the use of French on product labeling, warranty certificates, product manuals and instructions for use, public signs, and written advertising. The Office Québécois de la langue Française (Québec Office of the French Language) website provides guidance on these requirements. Note that these rules do not apply for non-retail/consumer goods if these goods are coming from outside the province and will be incorporated into a final assembly of a larger product; will be used in a manufacturing process; will undergo a degree of transformation; will undergo any type of repair; and is not available in the retail market in Québec.»

This could explain why, even a vehicle is built in Ontario, the VCL could be different if the car is intended for Quebec market.

And, if the vehicle already has an English only VCL, they just add a French one beside, before shipping it to Quebec's market, like in Cory's example.
Restored 2019-2022.