classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Unexpected U-Joint sizes in transfer case

Jon M
Folks,

I'm swapping out my 4 speed manual transmission and NP transfer case for a M5OD and Borg Warner 1356 transfer case (both from a bricknose) and I'm coming across some u-joint dimensions that I wasn't expecting

The new transmission and transfer case have been installed and up next is finding a good drive shaft (or, more likely, having one resized). But before I get there I need to solve this universal joint puzzle. When I got under the truck with a standard Moog 434 U-joint (from the the previous transfer case flange yokes) i discovered that the rear-facing flange yoke on the BorgWarner is sized for 1.065" caps, whereas all the others (the front Dana44, the rear 8.8 diff, and the front facing t-case flange yoke) were sized for 1.134" caps.

I am kind of befuddled about this (although, that's nothing new), and I don't know what year/model the donor truck was so I can't really search what u-joint options I have on the web like rockauto. Can someone point me in the right direction to find the right sized ujoint with 4x 1.065" caps for this. More-over, what truck transfer case might have been from?
Jon
1984 Single Cab F150 300/4.9L i6 named 'Dolly'
4X4 - rear 3.55 limited slip, Dana 44
and nothing fancy ... yet.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Unexpected U-Joint sizes in transfer case

mat in tn
if the only issue you are finding is at a single u joint then you are in luck. you can get a "bastard" joint. one with both sizes needed to couple your shaft to the flange
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Jon M
Ford is notorious for combination "bastard"  U-joints.

Not difficult to find, but good to make note of (I usually tear the flap off the box and toss it in the glove box, so I don't have to figure it out again)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I have had several Fords with different sized caps on two of the U-joint pins, I have also had them with different dimensions across the caps. Unfortunately what you need is either a U-joint catalog or an old fashioned parts store.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Used to be "go to the paper catalog" but Moog has a page where you just punch in the dimensions of the caps and distance across.

https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/universal-joints-ujoints.asp
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon M
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
You know what's funny, until this post, I perceived the "bastard" u-joint as normal (I probably would have assumed every company did things this way) But now that I've read your comments and think about it, it is wildly dumb that a number of their their u-joints across multiple decades require two different sizes caps each... My problem was that that one of the transfer case flange yokes required the *same* size cap as the drive shaft. So I was confused as to how I was going to go about finding a u-joint with 4 of the same size cap (1.065").

This is my first project truck so I'm learning everything from you guys, Reddit, and Youtube. And I'm coming to this game late in life when learning is all a little bit harder. So thanks for the thoughts guys, and Jim, that Moog reference is going to save my bacon. Much appreciated!
Jon
1984 Single Cab F150 300/4.9L i6 named 'Dolly'
4X4 - rear 3.55 limited slip, Dana 44
and nothing fancy ... yet.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We do have Ford's chart on U-joints on the page at Documentation/Driveline/Driveshafts and then the U-Joint tab.

Has this info and more:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You're welcome, glad I could help!  
 Jim,