Transmission Query

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Transmission Query

Vic Roma
My transmission type is K, which if I’ve read the Bible correctly, suggests I have a Ford 3 speed C6 auto.

The steering column indicator (core part 7A110) is maligned rather poorly, where reverse gear sits between P and R on the column, neutral sits between R and N, drive between N and D (no OD), and all this is fine if it’s a simple adjustment of the fine cable that wraps from the shifter to the indicator.

My issue is when I shift from drive to the lower gears, the indicator shows there should be 2 and 1 gears, but the shifter only goes down one more gear from “drive.”

i.e. Indicator shows I should have
PRND21, but shifter lever only moves to PRND+ one lower gear, I’m guessing it’s lower gear 2 because it doesn’t crawl or make the engine work harder when driving.

Someone’s done something to this transmission. It all looks fine from under the truck, slips into 4WD too. Any ideas what the issue could be? Can you stop the shifter lever or transmission from reaching another gear?
1984 Bronco 351 Holley Sniper EFI, 3 Speed Ford Auto.
1986 Bronco 302 EFI, AOD, Eddie Bauer, with 3G alternator.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Transmission Query

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, "K" should be a C6.  And yes, you could stop it from going into 1st if the linkage is not adjusted properly.

The General Automatic Transmission Section from the factory shop manual (Documentation/Driveline/Transmissions/Automatic Transmissions/General Automatic Transmission Section) says:

This is a CRITICAL adjustment. Be sure the "D" detent in the transmission corresponds exactly with the stop in the steering column or console. Hydraulic leakage at the manual valve can cause delay in engagements and/or slipping while operating if the linkage is not correctly adjusted.

To do that chock the wheels and put the park brake on.  Then, with the engine off, put the shift lever in D and slide under the truck.  There you'll see a bolt/nut combo holding two pieces of the linkage together.  If you loosen that you can then shift the tranny by hand.  Find Park and then back it off through Neutral and into Drive.  Then tighten the nut/bolt.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
And, I should have said that the adjustment of the indicator comes after that.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Vic Roma
Thank you, Gary. I’ll give it a shot.
1984 Bronco 351 Holley Sniper EFI, 3 Speed Ford Auto.
1986 Bronco 302 EFI, AOD, Eddie Bauer, with 3G alternator.