Transmission Crossmember Gussets 4x4

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
36 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Transmission Crossmember 4x4

salans7
This afternoon I measured the distance between the motor mount studs on the 460, and the threads for the transmission mount. I transferred those to the crossmember in the truck, and it became very apparent that the ZF5 gussets would need major modification to work, and just aren't worth my time. The gussets I need  angle forward to meet the crossmember, where the ZF5 gussets angle rearward to meet the crossmember that is mounted further back. The crossmember itself is also angled rearward to make up for the longer length of the ZF5.

I took some pictures for future reference of why the ZF5 stuff won't work for me without serious modification. You can see how the whole crossmember assembly angles rearward to meet the tail of the ZF.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I'm still looking for gussets ("Bracket-Rear Support" in Ford terminology). After further researching the MPC, the part numbers I need are as follows:

E0TZ-6096-D (Passenger side 1980-1983)
or
E4TZ-6096-D (Passenger side 1984-1986)

E5TZ-6096-C (Driver's side 1985-1986 only)

So basically, the passenger side gusset can come from a 1980-1986 4x4 truck or Bronco. The driver's side is unique to an 85-86 4x4 truck or Bronco.

If anybody comes across a truck or Bronco in the junkyard that fits the criteria above, I would be eternally grateful if you could pull the gussets and ship them.

Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Well, I guess I will call this search off.

I was finally able to find photos of the crossmember for a 1986 Ford F350 4x4 (my drivetrain is based off of a 1986). Due to the extra height from the solid axle and the double cardan joint at the front driveshaft, the transmission crossmember is shaped differently than one from an F150, F250, or U150. It bolts to the outside of the frame rail, similar to the bricknose and aeronose trucks. I'll probably end up modifying the one I have to make it work, using sections of a bricknose or aeronose crossmember if possible.

Anyways, here's some photos so that those reading this thread in the future can see the difference.

1985-1986 F150, F250, and U150 4x4 crossmember (Gary's photo):

1986 F350 4x4 crossmember:

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Shaun - That F350 crossmember almost looks like the later E4OD crossmember but turned around.  I'd never seen that before.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I agree. I was surprised to see that because I didn't think the outer frame rail crossmembers started until 1990 or so. But it makes sense. I'll have to dig and see what I can come up with that's close.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's really strange.  Because the 1986 F350 4wd got the solid axle I thought differences would show in the MPC for the tranny's crossmember.  But they don't.  Not 'til '87.

If you ever find one of those crossmembers get the ID # off of it, please!

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I already found the part number in the MPC, shown below. No engineering number listed though.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Do you think it is -H?  I can look up the ID # for it in the crossref and perhaps you could find it that way.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Yes, it should be H. If you can find it that way, I would appreciate it. I already put the part number into Ebay, RearCounter, and all of the other NOS sites and I didn't get anywhere.

I remember having these "one year only" problems with the F150. Didn't think I'd have them with the F350 but boy was I wrong. Haha.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
  The 1985 master cross reference ends the listings with E5TZ 6A023-G.  No -H, so it was apparently a late '85 entry as my book was published in April of '85.  And the '91 cross ref doesn't go back that far.

So I'll contact Numberdummy and see if he can help.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Thanks Gary! If he is or isn't able to help, tell him I said thank you as well.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll do that, Shaun.  If I haven't heard back from my email I'll ping him on FB Messenger.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
A few days ago, I found a listing on Ebay for a transmission crossmember from a 1987? Bronco with an AOD. Best part was that it was CHEAP, so I bought it and received it in, knowing I would probably have to modify it. Sure enough, the gussets were slightly off, but not off enough to where I couldn't make them work. I had to notch one of the holes in my crossmember on the driver's side, and on the passenger side I cut a little over an inch off the top of the gusset and re-drilled the holes. They both now fit my existing crossmember, however I may end up trying out the AOD crossmember once I have the T19 in because it is in almost new condition compared to my existing one. If I do end up using the AOD one, I will either have to find a new RH gusset, or I will redrill the holes in the crossmember. Either way, I'm glad I finally have some gussets. I've pretty much decided to just run this style of crossmember since finding the 1986 1 ton version won't be easy, and Gary is using the style I have without issue. If I have clearance issues due to my lift, I will just modify the crossmember to gain clearance.

The AOD crossmember is the one with three holes for the transmission mount.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Nice find Shaun!

Must be hard to find stuff for your 1 ton. It’s hard to find 4WD one tons of this era.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
grumpin wrote
Nice find Shaun!

Must be hard to find stuff for your 1 ton. It’s hard to find 4WD one tons of this era.
Thanks!

I didn't realize how many one-off, few-year only parts they had. I had to build this one from a 4x2 one ton, which makes it more challenging.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good find, Shaun.  I think that AOD crossmember will work.