Transfer case question - same between manual and automatic?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Transfer case question - same between manual and automatic?

Pete Whitstone
I have seen a couple of parts trucks come up for sale by me locally. I would eventually like to convert my truck to 4WD, and buying a whole truck will be way easier than trying to source all the parts individually. All the trucks I have seen were manual, however. I would like to keep mine an automatic (C6 specifically). So the question is, is the transfer case the same between the manual and the automatic?

If not, how different are they? Would it be a matter of sourcing a different exterior mounting plate/case cover from an automatic, or something like that? Or are the transfer cases completely different?

Any other things I should be aware of regarding the 4WD system, or this swap in general?

Thanks!
81 F150 Flareside, Edelbrock Pro Flow4 FI, hydraulic roller 351W, E4OD, 4x4, BW1356
92 F150 RCLB 351W E40D BW1356 mostly stock
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Transfer case question - same between manual and automatic?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The transfer cases are the same between auto and manual transmissions.  But, the transmissions aren't.  You'll have to find a C6 set up for 4wd as it has a different rear case/extension than yours.

As for the other things, if you find a donor that is basically the same as yours, meaning F150, then the parts should swap over pretty straight forward.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Pete Whitstone
Thanks Gary. So it's just the tailshaft housing of the transmission that's different between a 2wd C6 and a 4WD?

I don't suppose the tailshaft housing exchanges between the manual and the C6? Seems unlikely but thought I would ask.
81 F150 Flareside, Edelbrock Pro Flow4 FI, hydraulic roller 351W, E4OD, 4x4, BW1356
92 F150 RCLB 351W E40D BW1356 mostly stock
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I can't remember if it is the C6 or the ZF5, but one of them is said to have to come completely apart to change it over.

Maybe someone else knows?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
I think it's pretty much all of them.  With any trans going from 2WD to 4WD means you need to replace at least the output shaft and the tail shaft housing.  And as I understand it, the output shaft generally installs from inside the trans, so everything else needs to come out before you can replace it.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins